Lately I've been getting waves of warm pain through my left thumb going from my hand to the tip of my finger. Especially in the evening.

Anyone know what's up?
WTLTL 2011
I don't know why you would get pain in your thumb, but I sometimes get pains in my fingers when I'm pulling off down the fret board.
Dean From Hell
Jackson USA King V
Randall RG-50 TC All Tube Combo
Quote by Mark G
Lately I've been getting waves of warm pain through my left thumb going from my hand to the tip of my finger. Especially in the evening.

Anyone know what's up?

you're obviously playing wrong
You may be straining your left hand. Stop playing whenever it starts hurting, or you might cause some damage. You should examine your left hand technique, to see if you're doing anything that may cause tension/strain. Maybe you've got your thumb awkwardly positioned, maybe you're pressing to hard, maybe your wrist is at an angle, etc. I believe there are lessons on this kind of thing too.
May or may not be guitar related.
Still, just take a break for a day or two (breaks are good for your playing anyway, at least in my experience) and see if it still hurts. If it's still there, take the rest of the week off. Since you've got EMGs running through an overdrive pedal into an already decent gain amp, I'm guessing you're a heavy music player and probably clutching too hard against the back of the neck with your thumb when you're playing power chords, trying to choke the life out of the root note with your index finger.
If I'm wrong... crap.
yeh.. it may not be guitar related... and i doubt it is...

and here's my problem...

my RIGHT thumb hurts ... it's cause i smashed it... (broke my nail) **** it really is painful

*btw.. i wanted to open my own thread about that... but when i saw this on i posted it in here .. i hope you dont mind
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Wanderer259
May or may not be guitar related.
Still, just take a break for a day or two (breaks are good for your playing anyway, at least in my experience) and see if it still hurts. If it's still there, take the rest of the week off. Since you've got EMGs running through an overdrive pedal into an already decent gain amp, I'm guessing you're a heavy music player and probably clutching too hard against the back of the neck with your thumb when you're playing power chords, trying to choke the life out of the root note with your index finger.
If I'm wrong... crap.

Hahah yeah I am a high gain player, but I use the OD to get saturated tube sound at low volumes. (or simulate it for cheap)

I don't have the pain while playing, its way after in the afternoon/evening. I guess I'll take a day or two off though just in case. I was just hoping someone here would have had the same problem so he could tell me whats up/what im doing wrong. Arthritis runs in my family, so I hope it's not that...Im only 19.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Hahah yeah I am a high gain player, but I use the OD to get saturated tube sound at low volumes. (or simulate it for cheap)

I don't have the pain while playing, its way after in the afternoon/evening. I guess I'll take a day or two off though just in case. I was just hoping someone here would have had the same problem so he could tell me whats up/what im doing wrong. Arthritis runs in my family, so I hope it's not that...Im only 19.

Yeah, strain doesn't necessarily have to show up during playing. Think of it like exercising - it kinda hurts when you're done but the real pain comes the next day.
Like I said, from what you described, it's probably just mild strain from pressing two hard against the back of the neck while playing power chords. Take a day or so off and then you should be ok.
Alright I'll take a day off. Just to let you know though, I haven't really been playing power chords that much. I've been doing triplet runs to improve picking speed and accuracy.
WTLTL 2011
how can your thumb be hurtin???
normally your fingers hurt not your thumb???
i think u are playing slightly wrong.
Quote by killer44
how can your thumb be hurtin???
normally your fingers hurt not your thumb???
i think u are playing slightly wrong.

Hand strain; your thumb is part of your hand. Just tensing your hand in general while moving your fingers can make your thumb hurt. Plus, he said it's in his thumb/hand/finger (index?), which makes me think it's general hand strain all the more. Might not even be guitar related.

Any weird weather going on? I know one of my knees sometimes gets pissy when it rains and I'm only 21. Stuff just happens.

And no power chords?! My Sherlock Holmes impression needs more work.
Sherlock wasn't THAT great, after all we still don't know for certain who jack the ripper really was.

I used to play a lot of power chord stuff, but I've been getting into faster riffs more lately. Check out Thunderhorse, and you'll see what I mean. I've been practising to improve my speed so I can play this song, and the solo from In Pieces (new linkin park song)
WTLTL 2011