not sure if this is the right place, but whenever I try and improvise in the A minor pentatonic, it sounds ****. Its really anoying me, anyone got any tips on how to make it sound good?
practice more and learn someone else's solos.
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
Don't always play the first box of the pentatonic. Play other boxes too. Although the notes are the same, the sound different with legato or bends.

when you move to another note, don't play always the next note of the pentatonic. You see what I mean? Have you ever tried to play E after A while soloing? I am sure you are stucked playing a C after A.
You see what I mean?
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
Play the scale up and down (from low to high string) and add hammer ons, pull offs, bends, vibratos etc. dont play it uniformally mix it up.
cheers betch
ummm..learn some different scales?

EDIT: + 1 to the guy above
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Thanks to your replies. I do mix it up, play it in the wrong order, but it still just doesnt sound good. I add vibratos and hammer ons and pull offs, but it just sounds bland. Like not bad, but not good either.
Quote by jxljxl
ummm..learn some different scales?

EDIT: + 1 to the guy above

If you mean me, thanks. Well many players just play the notes in the order they are in the scale, you rarely hear anybody soloing with intervals of 4th, #4th or 5th for example. But for a good solo you'll have to play this way or you'll sound like crap. Escpecially in pentatonic you must avoid the up and down runs with only 2nd and b3rd intervals
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
Focus on rhythm. Try *not* playing every beat, hold some notes a heat and a half, etc.
Quote by Danno13
Focus on rhythm. Try *not* playing every beat, hold some notes a heat and a half, etc.

Good rythm in a solo is just as important as good note choice. Also, try to phrase your solo's: don't go for one big thing spanning entire bars, but try to come up with some clear and small phrases.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Get an idea of what you want it to sound like in your head first, then try and reproduce it. Don't go mental and think of loads of stuff you can't technically do, just imagine a simple, melodic solo and try andf play it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com