Hi, im a "Self taught" Guitarist and I like to play by ear (Dont use tabs at all).

Im used to playing Jimi Hendrix stuff. Im familair and can play a number of his songs.

Im now slowly getting into Joe Satriani but alot of his stuff includes grand shredding.

So I was hoping that some of you fellow guitarists could recommend any songs/artists to listen and play so I can be slowly introduced into Shredding rather than attempting to emulate the likes of Joe Satriani right off.

Please recommend music without "Screaming".
Instrumentals would be exactly what im looking for.
Just some songs wth examples of "Amatuar" shredding I can practice before I jump into the deep end just yet.

Thanks in Advance
John Petrucci - wishful thinking.

EDIT: a link <=== click

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Last edited by p.stick at Sep 20, 2007,
just keep working at the satch stuff because tbh his stuff is relatively easy compared to some other stuff out there.

get software that slows the song down to at least half speed, then work it out yourself and play along.

but make sure that you playing is clean and accurate before increasing the speed.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
most megadeth stuff has some shreds
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
this should be a good thread, i also don't like the screaming in the recent metal music i've heard.

Try "always with me, always with you" and "crystal planet" by satriani, those aren't too hard.
i have no qualms about people learning dragonforce songs, but please don't base your technique on herman li's please dont use him as a goal for what you want to be able to play like.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
For The Love of God by Steve Vai

Whoever said Dragonforce...wow, yeah right, and there not hard metal there power metal, and suck big time...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
i have no qualms about people learning dragonforce songs, but please don't base your technique on herman li's please dont use him as a goal for what you want to be able to play like.

Jealous of the master eh?
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
he has crap technique and plays so sloppily live that it's not even funny.

also I dislike the fanboys more than i dislike him, the one's who won't accept that he's too sloppy to be shred and that his band is the power metal equivalent of metallica.

It's the band that people say they like to sound as if their tastes are more varied and obscure, but by doing so, they make their lack of knowledge obvious.

Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Jealous of the master eh?

yes... yes I am.

Quote by element4433
I wanna hear this Dragon force band.

I want a dragon force song recommended by the hater and one from th fan boy, please.
eric johnson would be a good start. he does a lot of instrumentals and can play pretty fast but not as fast as most "shredders" but it would be a good start into that area.
through the fire and the flames is a decent enough song.

I don't dislike their music, just his technique and the fanboys.

It's the fact that he can't play it well live that makes me dislike herman li.

I actually enjoy the music on the record but he can take as many tries at a solo as he likes in the studio.

and even then he can edit the best parts together to make a decent sounding solo. but his technique is poor.

Quote by element4433
Anything off Valley of the Damned is good for Dragonforce.
They're not OTT like their songs from the new album.

There isn't going to be easy shred per se, as shred just means playing technically, but as it's been said, always with me, always with you and Midnight by Satch are worth learning.
Or if you want to go all out, Technical Difficulties by Racer X, but that will require a lot of practicing, but your fingers will thank you
Quote by buckethead_jr
Anything off Valley of the Damned is good for Dragonforce.
They're not OTT like their songs from the new album.

There isn't going to be easy shred per se, as shred just means playing technically, but as it's been said, always with me, always with you and Midnight by Satch are worth learning.
Or if you want to go all out, Technical Difficulties by Racer X, but that will require a lot of practicing, but your fingers will thank you

the technical difficulties main lick helped with my alt picking so much that I was tempted to buy a crate of beer and send it to PGs house.

but then I remembered I didn't know where he lived or what he likes to drink

Quote by element4433
Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson is a good one.

I can't believe people are seriously saying Dragonforce.
^agreed about both points

And anything by megadeth is good. A lot of the Dave mustaine solos are really easy and most the riffs are far from challenging. But the marty friedman solos are very very good (and challenging at parts)