Marshall JCM2000 TSL-602
12 36%
Laney VC30
9 27%
Other (please suggest)
2 6%
Voters: 33.
Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a new amp, and seeing as i've got to sell a few stuff to fund my car I might as well treat myself to keep my gear needs happy.

I play a variety of music, from blink 182 to Led zeppelin to Black sabbath. I have a budget of around £600. I have an Epiphone les paul standard and Fender 50's classic strat. I don't want to spend more as I need to save as much as I can for the car too. I've looked into a few combo amps in this price range. They are the:

Vox AC30CC2 212 custom classic combo.
Marshall JCM2000 TSL-602
Laney VC30 (leaves my budget with extra cash)

I love the sound of Vox amps, and I know the quality is good (I own a valvetronix). I'm really digging the look of the marshall too. I've looked at the VC30 which I also like, it leaves my budget open for lots of other stuff too.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Budget £600 MAX!

Poll to come.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Looks like the marshall is in the lead, does anyone have their oppinions/views on these choices/others?
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Laneys clean is probably better than Marshall, but equivalent to VOX. The Marshall TSL pwns the other 2 when it comes to distortion though. In the end, it is just a mater of opinion.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I would not say the Marshall TSL pwns the other to at distortion - it is just a different type of distortion than the other two. Personally I like DSL's alot more than TSL's.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Used jcm800 would be amazing.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by thrice_removed
I would not say the Marshall TSL pwns the other to at distortion - it is just a different type of distortion than the other two. Personally I like DSL's alot more than TSL's.

The only difference between the TSL and DSL is the addition of an extra channel though
Does buying used make any difference with the tubes? I'm new to all this tube amp stuff. If I were to change them eventually I have a contact who can change them for me proffesionally.

I love the look of the AC30, but is £550 too much for a 30watt tube?
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by jimbob78
Used jcm800 would be amazing.

+1 - That'd get my vote. Also are you sure you want a combo? Sometimes a head and cabinet can be more useful... but if you drive, I can't seeing it being much of a problem for you.
Quote by Darren5591
Does buying used make any difference with the tubes? I'm new to all this tube amp stuff. If I were to change them eventually I have a contact who can change them for me proffesionally.

I love the look of the AC30, but is £550 too much for a 30watt tube?

I bought a used DSL 401 and for a year thought it sounded crap. Then I took it to the guitar shop and he said you need it fixed.

I'm waiting on it now, so don't know how much better it will sound.

But just be careful buying used...
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Ashdown FA60 would suit you down to te ground, and I'm selling one on ebay! link's in my sig, but be quick, auction ends soon.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think i'm going to try them out each, i've got plenty of time too save too though. The cars going to suck my funds for a good 3 months and leave one month of payed work for the amp.

Do either have issues with pedals? I have 6 pedals I want to run through it and I don't want any problems.

I would LOVE a JCM800 but I have a fairly small room and no room for a half stack.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
^ You can get 50watt 2x12 combos I think. But yeah I'd say either a used JCM800 combo (a guy picked one of these up recently on here for like £250) or a used Orange Rocker 30. The Vox won't handle the gain you need, the Marshall is IMO a poor amp and the Laney also doesn't have enough gain but it could reach there with say a Treble Booster. So that'd also be a decent choice if you can get a good Rangemaster clone also.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I absolutely love the Vox, but voted Laney. If budget's a concern, you really get the most for your money with the Laney.

Or, yeah, better yet - look used. I bought my AC30 at a pawn shop, and I couldn't be happier.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Almost nobody ever suggests this one, but a genz Benz el diablo. I got mine used for 1000 Canadian. It sounds very good for it's price, and can imitate the legendary Eddie van halen sound.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I'm going to go hunting for used as suggested, never had anything bad before used. It's just looking out for whats wrong.

A friend of mine said don't buy any marshall unless it's over £700, is this true? I don't want to be ripped just because it has the name Marshall written on it.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
^ thats not true. just dotn buy solid state marshalls. ie. MG, AVT, Valvestate

stick to the jcm series
bluesbreaker
plexis.
gabel has a big thread on this i just cant seem to find it. i really wanted to link to it the other day in another marshall thread
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by Darren5591
I'm going to go hunting for used as suggested, never had anything bad before used. It's just looking out for whats wrong.

A friend of mine said don't buy any marshall unless it's over £700, is this true? I don't want to be ripped just because it has the name Marshall written on it.

i've seen that the TSL and the laney are the top 2 votes at the moment. Please do NOT buy a TSL! If you really want a JCM 2000, go for the DSL.

The laney VC-30, on the other hand, from what i've heard is a pretty good amp.

Finally, might i suggest a used peavey sir? Oooh but they are very good sir! I have a peavey ultra X, basically the predecessor of the triple-x and it's really rather good. It might be a bit heavy for 70's rock/metal tho so maybe a classic 30 or windsor amp? you could probably buy one of them new actually.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 21, 2007,
Quote by eddiehimself
i've seen that the TSL and the laney are the top 2 votes at the moment. Please do NOT buy a TSL! If you really want a JCM 2000, go for the DSL.

The laney VC-30, on the other hand, from what i've heard is a pretty good amp.

Finally, might i suggest a used peavey sir? Oooh but they are very good sir! I have a peavey ultra X, basically the predecessor of the triple-x and it's really rather good. It might be a bit heavy for 70's rock/metal tho so maybe a classic 30 or windsor amp? you could probably buy one of them new actually.

Why not the TSL? My uncle tells me it's a good amp.

I did look into peaveys (my best mate suggested one for him a while back) but looking into it they seem a bit too orientated towards metal and rather more heavier music. I've now grown in my tones and I like cleans as well as dirty raw tone.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by thrice_removed

agreed. it's really up to you, they sound different...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slatsmania
I absolutely love the Vox, but voted Laney. If budget's a concern, you really get the most for your money with the Laney.

Or, yeah, better yet - look used. I bought my AC30 at a pawn shop, and I couldn't be happier.

agreed. orange rocker 30, which i think has come up already, is also under budget and worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?