Songs that are influenced by completely and totally different genres?

So earlier today, I was listening to the Scissor Sisters album, and the song "Return to Oz" came on. I thought it sounded really familiar, but I couldnt place it. Then I suddenly remembered. "Octivarium" by Dream Theater.

The two bands have nothing in common whatsoever, yet even upon the first listening to 'Return to Oz', its clear they sound similar. Or maybe its just me. Anyone want to confirm/deny what I think?

And how about other examples...

Return to Oz
i guess this sort of fits..i was getting my album signed by DAATH at ozzfest, and the guitarist noticed i had on a depeche mode shirt and told me he had a DM sticker on the back of his PRS.

i think it's rather odd that a guitarist in a band as brutal as DAATH would be that into depeche mode..i mean i wouldn't ruin a nice PRS by putting a sticker on it.
Quote by everlong93
how the hell do you do quotes?

hit the quote button in the bottom right of the persons post...
and i dont have any info on this thread, just thought id help this guy
that sounds nothing like octavarium... at all, similar chord progression, but thats all
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
Eminem - Sing For the Moment (the tune is from Dream on by Aerosmith)
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
^ Its called sampling. I swear every time I hear Aerosmith's crying ( I think thats what it is ) I think of Cannon in D minor ( the actual classical song made famous by jerryc )
Aside from intentional hip hop sampling:

Alien Ant Farm's Glow sounds somewhat like Green Day's Hitchin' a Ride

Ayumi Hamasaki's Evolution has a riff reminiscent of Powerhead 3000's When World's Collide

...all I can think of for now.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
^ Its called sampling. I swear every time I hear Aerosmith's crying ( I think thats what it is ) I think of Cannon in D minor ( the actual classical song made famous by jerryc )
1. It's Canon in D Major

2. It's been VERY well-known WAY before Jerry C was even born. It just so happens that most UG'ers aren't very cultured and thus heard it for the first time via another guitarist.
Quote by sashki
you know Mika's song "Relax, take it easy"? I know a russian song with EXACTLY THE SAME chorus melody.

Not a different genre, but a different ****ing country!

because we do like to analyse mika songs... let alone LISTEN to them
canon was by pachabel not jerry c
Quote by REBAN primusfan
i enjoy getting boners. they make me feel important.

Quote by chubbychunks
George Lucas didn't invent Christianity, although he was a big contributor.
Quote by Summonancer
canon was by pachabel not jerry c

No shit. He said jerryc made it famous. But it was famous before that anyway.

But songs that i think sound similar in different genres

Genocide Junkies by BLS sounds like a mix of Walk and Higher Ground. Forget who did higher ground tho.
Quote by Joe Dudeman
i think alot of dragonforce is based on a few early video games

+1
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

Cryin
Basket Case
Black Parade

The list goes on.
The intro of "Where Have You Been" by Reel Big Fish and "Good Riddance" (I think) by Green Day sound disgustingly similar.

EDIT: also the rhythm of "Pioneer to the Falls" by Interpol sounds quite similar to "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day.

Despite how this post may sound, I actually don't really like Green Day.