Page 1 of 4
Now heres the thing. We had some event at school and me and my friend got to play the star spangled banner. We told the principal how it would sound and we then went on stage with our guitars. So we did a Jimi Hendrix related thing with alot of distortion and scales.

Now it sounded pretty good and lots of people liked it yet I overheared a few parents talking about how we "ruined" the spirit of america with our "garbage rock" and all that junk.

How would you feel about this? Anything like this happen to you?
yeah... i played it one time and some parents got mad at me. It was ok though cause all the people who did like it kinda rolled there eyes and gave the other one's the finger.... it was great.
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.
well first off im not american but i can say well done for playing the star spangled banner

also ive heard it in loads of forms, as long as you and the audience like then its ok
Guess it's not just metalheads who are elitists.

I say you should burn down the school in protest.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
tell em to go **** themselves
its not like they can play it at all, so you're good
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
Obviously, they're ****s. Don't listen to them.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
F*ck the traditionalists. If f*cking stupid celebrity singers can sing it doing pitch changes/improvs during the Superbowl, why shouldn't you be able to put a couple of scales in there and spice it up?

If you ever get the chance again, get a death metal singer to sing the lyrics. That would be f*cking awesome, and it would piss them off twice as much.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Well, it was played at Woodstock '69 originally because of the turn of the government's views, and partially just the fact that Woodstock '69 was havoc.

So they have reason to get angry if they look at the original reasons for him playing that.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
Quote by Twist of fate
instrumental. I can't sing metal

Metal has singing?

Joking. But any singing style can be used for metal. Iron Maiden and Dream Theater would be good examples.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Shouldn't be much of a surprise, I thought Hendrix's version was widely disliked as well?
My thoughts are that the Star-Spangled Banner should not be the National Anthem. I'm not anti-war or pro-war, however War is not a point at which we know it is right. The Star-Spangled Banner glorifies War, and a pretty large amount of people are anti-war in this country.

Also, people don't even like the music of it. I have never met someone who actually likes the music, rather than the fact that they just like the message, which is why so many people forget the lyrics.

I really don't think our National Anthem should glorify War, when often times (Vietnam) we shouldn't even be involved with one.
zakk wylde did a pretty crazy version at ozzfest during his 20 minute guitar solo. lots of improv and scales and such, at first didn't realise what song it was.

but it definitely sounded a lot better than the traditional version, and anybody who gets upset over some improv is a pussy.
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
Quote by The Madcap
My thoughts are that the Star-Spangled Banner should not be the National Anthem. I'm not anti-war or pro-war, however War is not a point at which we know it is right. The Star-Spangled Banner glorifies War, and a pretty large amount of people are anti-war in this country.

Also, people don't even like the music of it. I have never met someone who actually likes the music, rather than the fact that they just like the message, which is why so many people forget the lyrics.

I really don't think our National Anthem should glorify War, when often times (Vietnam) we shouldn't even be involved with one.

dude please be quite that was the most un-american thing ive ever heard if you think its so bad move somewhere else...
Quote by The Madcap

I really don't the our National Anthem should glorify War, when often times (Vietnam) we shouldn't even be involved with one.

I dont mind the national anthem, it was that bloody Pledge of Alliegance that I hated. At one point, when I lived in the US, I refused to say it, and I was sent to the principals office. I was going to get into trouble, up until the point where I threatened to send what had happened to the paper as a "violation of freedom of speech" or something like that.

+!p3: And to Ryan ^^, its his opinion, he is allowed to express it, is he not?
Quote by Ryan0811
dude please be quite that was the most un-american thing ive ever heard if you think its so bad move somewhere else...

That's the most unamerican thing you've ever heard? You're quite the tool.

And seriously, he just said change the national anthem. How is that unamerican? Why should he move somewhere else because he dislikes the national anthem?
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
I dont mind the national anthem, it was that bloody Pledge of Alleigance that I hated. At one point, when I lived in the US, I refused to say it, and I was sent to the principals office. I was going to get into trouble, up until the point where I threatened to send what had happened to the paper as a "violation of freedom of speech" or something like that.
I hate that even more. I don't think it's wrong for someone to say the pledge, but to force people at school to say it everyday (Not to mention the vast majority are just saying words they learned in kindergarden without giving barely any thought to the meaning) seems so wrong. I'm not saying patriotism is wrong, but to force those to be patriotic when many people don't support the concept of Patriotism (Ex. Bill Hicks) is not right.
Quote by Ryan0811

What? He made a good point, the lyrics do glorify war; although that wasn't the intent, the writer, Francis Scott Key, was moved by the fact that the defenses of Fort Sumter during the initial bombing held fast. It's really sung from a historical perspective, rather then a barbaric war-cry persective that can be quite easily assumed.

Also, I should think something along the lines "You Yanks are all fat and lazy!" would rank up as the 'most un-american' thing you've ever heard.
Quote by The Leader
What? He made a good point, the lyrics do glorify war; although that wasn't the intent, the writer, Francis Scott Key, was moved by the fact that the defenses of Fort Sumter during the initial bombing held fast. It's really sung from a historical perspective, rather then a barbaric war-cry persective that can be quite easily assumed.

Also, I should think something along the lines "You Yanks are all fat and lazy!" would rank up as the 'most un-american' thing you've ever heard.
Hey, I live in Houston, too.
Quote by The Madcap
Hey, I live in Houston, too.

Wow, no ****? What side?
Eh, I like the pledge of allegiance and the Star Spangled banner. The Star Spangled banner was written during the war for Independence so obviously it's going to glorify war because we were fighting a war to free ourselves so to speak.

Here in Texas though they make you say the Texas Pledge of Allegiance and that just makes me mad to a whole 'nother degree because you pledge to your country then to your state which seems kinda stupid. If don't want to say any of them then you don't have to because it's your right to say or not say whatever you want.
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt
Quote by The Madcap
The west-side. Katy to be exact...it's not that great...

One of my best friends moved to my school from Katy in 7th grade, I live north of
Houston about 4-5 hours and 2 hours east of Dallas.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by The Madcap
I hate that even more. I don't think it's wrong for someone to say the pledge, but to force people at school to say it everyday (Not to mention the vast majority are just saying words they learned in kindergarden without giving barely any thought to the meaning) seems so wrong. I'm not saying patriotism is wrong, but to force those to be patriotic when many people don't support the concept of Patriotism (Ex. Bill Hicks) is not right.

this gentleman has it completely right
Eh, I like the pledge of allegiance and the Star Spangled banner. The Star Spangled banner was written during the war for Independence so obviously it's going to glorify war because we were fighting a war to free ourselves so to speak.

Not to be nitpicky, but it was actully the war of 1812.

Quote by The Madcap
The west-side. Katy to be exact...it's not that great...

Thats wierd. I live in Clear Lake. Any one else live in Houston?

I dont really think that it glorifies war. The poem that was later turned into a song was written after Francis saw how America had defended its fort and not given into the British. The songs about america holding on and not giving up or giving in. Not the best song ever, but I cant really thik of a better national anthemn.

I have not said the pledge of alleigiance or the pledge to the Texas flag one time this year. I love america, but I think that loyaltty should be to the human race not artificial states.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
Well, it was played at Woodstock '69 originally because of the turn of the government's views, and partially just the fact that Woodstock '69 was havoc.

So they have reason to get angry if they look at the original reasons for him playing that.

jimi hendrix played it in protest
america was founded on protest

so wouldn't he have been playing it IN true american spirit, rather than ruining it?
Quote by gryphonguy
Not to be nitpicky, but it was actully the war of 1812.

Thats wierd. I live in Clear Lake. Any one else live in Houston?

I dont really think that it glorifies war. The poem that was later turned into a song was written after Francis saw how America had defended its fort and not given into the British. The songs about america holding on and not giving up or giving in. Not the best song ever, but I cant really thik of a better national anthemn.

I have not said the pledge of alleigiance or the pledge to the Texas flag one time this year. I love america, but I think that loyaltty should be to the human race not artificial states.
Well, you're right. I don't the Scott intended to be glorifying War in general, it's just that nowadays with the manner and timing it is played in, it seems that way to me.
I refuse to sing the national anthem, and I refuse to say the pledge of allegiance. The national anthem because I don't agree with what our country in general is doing, and the pledge of allegiance because I don't owe my damn allegiance to a ****ing flag. However, if you REALLY wanted to piss someone off, play the national anthem while burning a flag... that'll get their attention.
Jimi ruined it first. You didn't have to play the pre-ruined version; you could have at least played one that hasn't been ruined yet.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Uh, glorifies war? I don't know what Star Spangled Banner you heard, but to me it just sounds like America standing strong in a time of war, not "America, kick some ass!"
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
when you really think about it. The United States was built off of doing things in a different way. that's basically how we won our freedom.
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.
Quote by The Madcap
I'm not much of a reporter, but I did report that one.

haha that was funny.

and anyways, TS as long as you didn't stupidly wank the anthem i can't see anything wrong with doing that.

some kid at my school totally wanked our canadian national anthem and it sounded so boring and bland and ugh.

Jimi's version rocks.

i know your anthem i never liked it, but hows the pledge of alleigance go?
Quote by The Madcap

And it's pretty weak to tie in religion with the pledge to America. I thought the government was not influenced by religion?
Quote by iceman95
when you really think about it. The United States was built off of doing things in a different way. that's basically how we won our freedom.

True, good point.
I quite like the music in the Star Spangled Banner, and it's fun to play. I think it's fine to do an improv of it, it's better than if you had gone onstage and pulled some RATM ****, the principal should be grateful of that! Plus really thinking in depth and doing your own version does show patriotism, so people should accept it.
As for the Pledge, my school doesn't force us to say it. They like it better if you stand up and hold your hand on your heart, but not everyone does. I do, because my High School is free and I do owe my country for that.
Plus, I've lived in alot of countries, and I know for a fact that us Americans have it really good. There's no such thing as a paradise on this Earth, so don't complain about being oppressed like you actually have problems here.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Page 1 of 4