Page 1 of 2
Hey all, Ive recently switched from using an IbanezRG to my Les Paul standard Epi.. mainly because the Les Paul sounds ****ing amazing compared to the RG lol

Ive gotten used the the fat neck, its actaully a lot more comftable for rythm and it didnt take too much time to get used to soloing with it... BUT I have a problem!...

When I play with the band and move around I sweat n stuff and my hands get clammy and stick to the guitars neck!! and I move around pretty fast so its a big problem as it makes my solo's sound shoddy!..

You guys reckon it would be worth sanding the varnish/finish off the neck so my hands dont stick to the damn thing??
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Looks like you'd prefer a satin neck, have a looksy at the epiphone lp ultra's neck, you can move fast as hell on that, see if you like that feel.
I used to get it when I first bought my epi les paul, but over time the you lose the stickyness and it becomes fine. I think it's just some residue from the glossy paint.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Yah usally you can wear it away with your thumb.... after awile. Basicly your sanding with the prints of your thumb, but just sanding off the stickyness.
Quote by minibrowny
Looks like you'd prefer a satin neck, have a looksy at the epiphone lp ultra's neck, you can move fast as hell on that, see if you like that feel.

ah, I didnt know they did that I will bear that in mind and check one out when I can

Quote by Darren5591
I used to get it when I first bought my epi les paul, but over time the you lose the stickyness and it becomes fine. I think it's just some residue from the glossy paint.

Cool, I have to admit I don't know if I feel good about taking sandpaper to the neck
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
It will go away eventually, it's like that with most finished guitar necks, you have to get rid of that layer of un-bonded lacquer that's on there. Once you get used to it, your thumb will toughen up as well, and when you go back to playing on a wood neck, your thumb will slide all over the place.
You could take some really fine steel wool to it.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
cool thanks fro replies guys, Think I will just leave it Im gonna have to fashion some kind of finger less glove with out looking like some metal dude for playing live this weekend. I really dont wana mess up as its battle of the bands.. we're already pretty hopeful we'll win but I wana ****in rock out n get it all right!
Quote by Count Seanula
Quote by Ibanez20th
Sand it down with 1200 sand paper. That will make it feel extremely smooth.

will that take the paint off? or just smooth off the finish?
Quote by Count Seanula
Quote by synth002
will that take the paint off? or just smooth off the finish?

1200 grit sandpaper is SUPER fine sandpaper. Your finish will be unharmed .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
1200 grit sandpaper is SUPER fine sandpaper. Your finish will be unharmed .

Coolies, right I have 1 more practice on saturday so I'll do that then try it out, with any luck it'll work out! if not still enough time fr my temporary fingerless glove idea lol

Cheers man, chris
Quote by Count Seanula
Nah it should be cool dont worry, I may look out for that down at the store 2moz tho lol
Quote by Count Seanula
Try an auto store in the finishing section. Its the only place i've ever found the real good stuff.
You could take some really fine steel wool to it.[/QUOTE
+1
I used to make guitar bodies & refinish necks. The steel wool is what I would choose first, then 1200 grit if necessary. I never went over 600 grit when doing finishes because you can polish out the rest to a glass finish. I would even try some car polish or car wax. Your sweat will just bead up on the finish & fly off, & the polish will likely remove whatever's making you stick.
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Hmmm what is steel wool? I will also try the car wax I idea lol
Quote by Count Seanula
I sanded the neck on my Epi Standard, and I dont know why I didnt do it earlier.

it feels like BUDDER!!!
Quote by -heartbreaker-
I sanded the neck on my Epi Standard, and I dont know why I didnt do it earlier.

it feels like BUDDER!!!

What do you mean you sanded down to the wood yeh?
Quote by Count Seanula
If I wanted to sand down the finish on my neck (epi firebird), how would i go about it? Mainly wondering about what sandpaper to use, how to deal with the binding and what I would put on it after I'm done to get that really smooth buttery feeling that some non-painted necks have
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
Don't worry I'll go with the extra fine sandpaper before I do anthing crazy lol
Quote by Count Seanula
It helps if your finish isn't shiny, I'm pretty sure my LP doesn't have a clear coat on it and I don't really have that problem at all.

I will say though, it got easier the more I played it so if your guitar is pretty new in time it should loosen up.

IMO: I'm against the sand paper/steel wool, but thats just me.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Dude,

sorry for this having NOTHING to do with the thread, but...

Your band rocks.

My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Quote by SchecterGates
Dude,

sorry for this having NOTHING to do with the thread, but...

Your band rocks.

Thats okay I'll let you off lol, cheers man thats always nice to hear.. add yourself on myspace dude we will be recording a new slightly more harder rock EP/demo soonish!
Quote by Count Seanula
I sand the finish off of all my necks! Then consider waxing it or oiling it. An unfinished neck is sooooo much smoother and faster.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by synth002
Thats okay I'll let you off lol, cheers man thats always nice to hear.. add yourself on myspace dude we will be recording a new slightly more harder rock EP/demo soonish!

Haha, alright i just sent a request!

My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
you band kicks ass
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by RHCPfan01
I sand the finish off of all my necks! Then consider waxing it or oiling it. An unfinished neck is sooooo much smoother and faster.

Have you done that with a les paul? Im gonna try just taking off a fine layer to begin with I hope that works but I dont know if that will totally slove the problem, so if need be I may well mask the binding and sand the finish off leaving it tidy of course. I swear I read sumwhere that zakk wylde does the same thing..

also.. thanks for the nice comments about me band guys lol
Quote by Count Seanula
Naw, I have only ever done it on strats, and I did it on a buddys Ibanez bass once. I just sort of went at it with 400 grit sandpaper for a minute or so. I have also heard of using 0000 steel wool.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
How long have you guys been together? You sound great.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Try using the guitar cleaners and the canaruba wax or whatever its called. They make finished necks feel extremely smooth.

Wash your hands before you play. It prevents you from sweating like crazy, and it keeps gunk from building up on the neck and strings.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
It's actually the opposite for me. When I play for a while on my EC-1000 my hands start to sweat and just move around the fretboard like crazy cause it just slides on the finish haha.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think someone had one with fringe on the neck somehow and that wiped his hands as he played. Sounds pretty cool to me
[spam]
Sweet band.
[/spam]

I've never considered the stickiness of my neck on my LP a problem.. maybe I'll throw some car wax on it tomorrow and see what happens. O.o

This won't damage the finish will it?
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by Cocnut Rag
How long have you guys been together? You sound great.

Thanks man, the bands been going for about a year and a half, ive only been with the band for about 8months but I know I wont be leaving any time soon. Was really lucky to get into a band with such cool & serious people!

Quote by MatrixClaw
It's actually the opposite for me. When I play for a while on my EC-1000 my hands start to sweat and just move around the fretboard like crazy cause it just slides on the finish haha.

Barstard!

Quote by tymatt67
I think someone had one with fringe on the neck somehow and that wiped his hands as he played. Sounds pretty cool to me

Im not sure I know know what mean but yesterday I was frantically rubbing my hands on my jeans before solo's ..sadly that didnt help lol

Quote by sg-rocker173

I've never considered the stickiness of my neck on my LP a problem.. maybe I'll throw some car wax on it tomorrow and see what happens. O.o

This won't damage the finish will it?

Lucky for you man, I only notice it at practice when im hot n stuff but its totally ruining my playing! I can't see how putting some car wax on it would haurt the finish, im sure it'll be fine!

Also cheers about te band comment lol

chris
Quote by Count Seanula
Okay just to et you guys know, I just masked and sanded the neck with pretty damn fine sand paper..

WOW, its real awsome TOTALLY fixed the problem, I sanded and took the shine out then took a damp cloth to it to remove the dust, dried it off then used some good 'ol Turtle wax on the neck and gave it a good polish. Its perfect now, really is like butter!! its gone from a real sticky finish which totally messed up my solo's to a satin finish thats just perfect! I cant wait to jam with the band now! I totally advise this mod to ANYONE who finds the neck on their Les Paul sticky and awkward, its easy and makes a HUGE differnce and only takes a few minutes.. just tke the time to mask out area's that you dont want affected with masking tape!..

Thanks very much for help guys, I may well upload a pic later

cheers, chris
Quote by Count Seanula
Page 1 of 2