Hey,
I was looking for some pedals to play around with in my band (we're at the stage where we're figuring out what we want to play), and I saw some Dano FAB pedals at Musiciansfriend for like 15 bucks. Are these any good? Or are they cheap and crummy sounding? I know the construction is cheap, but I'm pretty careful with my gear. So, how would one of the FAB's compare to boss or maybe on a closer scale, behringer?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
depends what pedal you're talking about, all of them beat behringer i would think, with boss it varies. imo the fab OD and distortions are better but i have no experience with the modulation effects
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I ordered a couple yesterday just to play around with, a Flanger and Slap Echo. I don't expect them to be any good at all but for £10 you can't really complain.
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
I was thinking of getting one to use as a boost pedal, boosting my natural overdrive (which with my amp is very nice), and one to really push it for screaming leads. I was looking at the OD and the Metal one.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
They're not bad but being cheap like they are means that they're not true bypass: aka if you put more than 2 of them or so in between your guitar and amp they'll start 'tone sucking' anytime they're not on. Basically they start pulling certain frequencies out of your tone.

But for the money they're a riot, not at all bad.
All right, for starters i'll probably get the metal one, just to get some extra versatility (my amp does cleans and low gain stuff wonderfully).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The FAB Overdrive is like a budget TS9, though it doesn't quite have the range. I had one until I got said TS9, in which case its just been sitting
I have a Daddy-O distortion (not FAB series) and its got great tone and built like a tank. I really like the sound of the FAB flanger, had mine about a year and it died yesterday. I'm not sure I'd get another FAB as I really rarely used it and it failed. They probably wouldn't stand up to heavy use. That's only one pedal however, I am not sure I would judge them all by this.
Quote by uldhppi
I have a Daddy-O distortion (not FAB series) and its got great tone and built like a tank. I really like the sound of the FAB flanger, had mine about a year and it died yesterday. I'm not sure I'd get another FAB as I really rarely used it and it failed. They probably wouldn't stand up to heavy use. That's only one pedal however, I am not sure I would judge them all by this.

+1 on the Daddy-O

It's part of their "vintage" line I think. They're much bigger pedals and built much more solid. They're also still quite inexpensive as far as pedals go too. If you look used, you can find a Daddy-O for $30-$40. I got mine new for $40 with a little haggling. Another real good one is the Cool Cat Chorus, same line as the Daddy-O. Built like a tank. Only thing with the Cool Cat, is it uses two 9-volt batteries instead of just one. So if you can get a power adaptor, it'll save you money in the long run as Dan's have a penchant for drinking up batteries.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
The FAB Overdrive to me sounds pretty bad. It sounds too muffled, and theres no clarity to it. Then again, my mate was playing a Squire through the FAB OD into an AVT, so all of those things probably contributed, lol.

The FAB Metal is interesting however, the distortion on it sounds kinda digital, but it has this really strange flanging sound in the background. It's pretty cool for $40 (aus).

The FAB Chorus is pretty decent, and when you turn the speed up all the way it doesn't this awesome as alien sound.

I would advice you AGAINST the FAB Echo however, it is pretty damn crap. Theres no speed setting for it, and the other two knobs on it don't really do anything. Unless you like the set sound on it, I'd say stay away from it.

I personally don't have any of the above pedals mentioned, but my mates do and I've had a fair listen to some of them.
I just ordered the OD off of musicians friend.
I've seen nice positive reviews on HC with people with gear like mine (peavey C50, strat), so I thought what the heck, and i got it. It was only 15 bucks, if it sucks, maybe i'll learn modding, or i'll just give it to a friend. Plus, while I was at it, I bought some closeout strings and other little odds and ends so the shipping would be more worth it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator