I need help in this arena. im not good at them and i need advice. HELP!!!!
just have lots of distortion and put the edge of your thumb into the string when you pick.
fuck technique and just play
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
Quote by Henry Polfave

not good, technique = GOOD music
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
well what i do to do them is i find the spot that will actually allow them easily and when i pick i just pick up pushing my thumb towards the string i don't know how much that helps though
Quote by Henry Polfave
That will leave people with terrible (and almost unbreakable) habits, being unable to achieve the skills of other guitarists. Techique is practical and there for a reason. They are never just made up. And this applies to all instruments of all genres.
Quote by The Madcap
That will leave people with terrible (and almost unbreakable) habits, being unable to achieve the skills of other guitarists. Techique is practical and there for a reason. They are never just made up. And this applies to all instruments of all genres.

very well said
thanx for the tips if you can thank of anything else please post it
You can do harmonics without the pinch technique if you play the note then tap one of the knuckles of your right hand onto the string at the right spot, or you could upstroke a pinch harmonic using the first finger to catch the string. You could also use your nail instead of your knuckle to tap into a harmonic, sounds beastly

All it takes is practise

And like the guy up there said ^^^ lots of vibrato

Try and be aggresive with it, pick hard, try catching a large amount of your finger on it, just keep trying and you'll get it
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by The Madcap

you sound boring. Technique is only what you make of it to get what you want out of the guitar. If you wanna get the conventional (or different) sound, you'll break the habit and progress into doing stuff the conventional way.

Just experiment with it to get the sounds you want. I first came out with a pinch harmonic by having my pinky rest between strings in the bridge area. It was accidental but it'd create a wild sound and I still prefer it that way but it takes too long. When I realised it was stuff done by the like of EVH and other shred guitarists, I then actually used to hit the string with my thumb and quickly attack with my pick. I prefer this too but it's too much effort. I think I do it more the conventional way now... though I might switch back.
Last edited by untalented at Sep 20, 2007,
Quote by untalented
you sound boring. Technique is only what you make of it to get what you want out of the guitar. If you wanna get the conventional (or different) sound, you'll break the habit and progress into doing stuff the conventional way.
...Well, I'm sorry my post bored you (because apparently I forced you to read all of it), and there is no one technique for an instrument. There are multiple techniques for producing a different sound and dynamic. If you are trying to create a completely different never-before-heard sound on an instrument, I suppose "inventing" a new technique would seem okay, but if one is just learning their instrument because they want to play like another very skilled guitarist they enjoy, techniques have been developed for the best intentions of the musician.

If I wanted to play like Andres Segovia, it would be inane for me to have short nails, along with playing with the guitar on the right thigh, and having improper hand positioning.

If I wanted to create a whole new sound on the guitar (which is pretty difficult considering how old stringed instruments are) then using a new technique seems logical.
Quote by lounge act
...and thats why you suck.

have you heard me play yet? Probaly not

What i ment that is you certainly don't need technique to make a good song,sure it helps greatly,but you could make a good song out of two notes. Basically i just play what i feel and i know a few scales and chords but for the most part i don't use them.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
just keep practicing. i asked my guitar teacher how to do pinch harmonics and 2 hours later, at the end of class i could barely do it. but after weeks and weeks of practicing it paid off. just listen to the advice of everybody above me except for henry polfave.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
Quote by Henry Polfave
have you heard me play yet? Probaly not

What i ment that is you certainly don't need technique to make a good song,sure it helps greatly,but you could make a good song out of two notes. Basically i just play what i feel and i know a few scales and chords but for the most part i don't use them.

And how the **** is that then applicable to this thread?

TS, basically downpick the note, then catch your thumb as soon as you've picked it. This should give you the sound you're after. Practice!
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
also.. try learning them on a new pick.. lol.. i learnt them on a old very small pick so when i got a new one i couldn't play them
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way