1. What's a good amount of distance between bridge and neck output so that it's even?

2. I've been thinking about getting a standard strat and making it HSH. I've searched around, and i've come up with these options...

Bridge: Super Distortion, Mo' Joe, JB, Virtual Hot PAF.

Neck: Air Norton, PAF Joe, PAF Pro, '59.

I'm looking for a bridge that screams for metal but I can roll down a tad for some occasional classic rock. For the neck something warm and creamy but still able to get a heavy chug for power chords and smooth solos.

I really want to go with Dimarzio and/or Seymour Duncan. All of those fit my range, of about $125 for the set.
leaving the middle single stock, yeah?

1: depends. it's hard to judge on specs alone. plus most neck pickups i've tried have been louder than the bridge, almost regardless of output difference. though the higher output bridge distorted more. as long as you don't do something daft (e.g. highest output bridge pickup a company makes coupled with their lowest output neck version) it should be grand. and even then you can sometimes get away with it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave what pickups from my list can you recommend for the sound im looking for?
I may leave the single coil there for now, I might swap in a chopper or something later on.
neck, probably air norton, bridge, the only one i've been able to try is the jb, and i'm not much a fan. to be honest, i haven't really tried any duncans i'd like for that tone, and the only dimarzio i've tried that would really do that is perhaps the tone zone, but it may be too middy for your tastes. and perhaps not high enough output.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave you think my XXX would help with the heaviness? My stock Ibanez pickups seem to sound alright through it, and i'd imagine many Dimarzio's if not all would be better.
yep, probably. it's quite bright too, so a tone zone may fill it out. might be worth considering. see if steven seagull turns up, he's the resident dimarzio (and duncan) dude. and forsakn azrael.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd say a Norton in the bridge and a Breed in the neck - the Air Norton is just too fussy with regards to EQ ing, and the treble is a bit too chopped for me personally.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So the regular Norton (About 350 output) in the bridge and a Breed Neck (325 output) in the neck?

Doesn't sound bad actually. Any idea about a middle single coil? I want something with pretty much zero hum, than will give me a good classic rock tone to mix with the buckers.
i'll defer to mark (steven seagull), he's tried more dimarzios than i have...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Breed is powerful, but it responds really well to the volume control - on full it's really powerful and gutsy, but back the volume off and pick a little lighter and it becomes a lot more PAFfy...the sound get's a lot airier. The Norton is just a great, all-rounder, does heavier stuff but isn't so hot that it sounds like ass on low gain or clean.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Wow sounds awesome. Will it get this type of sound? (Go to around 30 seconds) http://youtube.com/watch?v=bOgZpWHiyLs

I'll be using these pickups in a Standard Strat running through a Digitech Distortion Factory into my Peavey. I usually use slight Flange or Phase to make the sound fuller/warmer.
Shouldn't be a problem with the XXX, having said that it might even be worth considering a Breed bridge model as well. It's got a very thick lower midrange which is good for chugging, having said that the Norton is no slouch at that either.

In all honesty, with the right pickups you might even find you don't need the Digitech any more.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

The Digitech is unsurprisingly good, it gets me a nicer more controllable sound for rmetal.