Hello Everyone, I just wanted to share a problem I'm having with figuring out if I can have a decent future with the guitar. First, here is my backround,( Im 21 years old) Im going to college right now close to full time, my major is architecture. Im taking Biology, Architecture practice and Geometry right now because I have to take Trigonometry after Geometry.
So I spend about 5 hours studying for both Bio. and Geo. a day. Well, before fall semester started I was getting pretty good at playing the guitar I was becoming an intermediate player, I was a beginner who knew basic material and with much practice I began picking up lots of speed and developing my playing techniques and my ear.
Then college started and I found my self struggling to find time to practice,
I used to practice about six hours a day or more. I had a serious practice schedule with exercises and songs that I would play that would help me learn something. Well, the classes started requiring more studying and I had to completely drop playing, the only thing I do now is just hear songs in my car and pratice my ear training trying to pay attention to what the guitarist is doing , and trying to figure out what he is playing. I have heard of people playing about three hours a day and still going to school at the same time, but is that enough to become advanced. My definition of becoming advanced would be the ability to solo across the whole guitar neck like the way Zakk Wylde, Marty Friedman, or Eric Johnson can. I would love to just shred the the guitar like the way Matt Heafy from Trivium does. Thats my ultimate goal and its what I strive for with my 6 hours plus playing , but I just can't find the time to do it anymore, I can probably scratch out 2 or three hours a day and maybe 5 hours on the weekends.
But can I really learn how to play the guitar like my heroes mentioned above, should I just not even bother playing anymore because I'll never progress unless I practice relgiously everday, or should I make a small practice program for busy days and then play my complex program on free days when I can? Im thinking that it would just take me longer to become advanced if I follow a small practice regimen. I can feel it in my palying when I dont practice everyday, I feel slower and a little shaky with my hands. So i have to practice everyday without fail. Lately I have been feeling empty inside, because whenever I hear my stereo in the car I think to myself, man if I had time I can get to that level of playing. If anyone has any advice or has gone through a situation similar to this could you feel free to chime in, I think I covered everything i wanted to say.
Get the fuck over it.

Guitar=/=Life
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
you dont need to stay on a strict six hour practice schedule to get good. just play whenever you have free time. and challenge yourself, thats the most important thing. i would suggest a teacher, because the only way you can get really good is having a good knowledge in theory.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
i don't play practice more than an hour a day dude, some days i don't even play, occasionally i'll just play on my acoustic for a few minutes then that's it. As long s it's in your mind, you'll be okay. I always just sit in class and shred on air guitar and it really helps
music is more improtant than school for me.. well, equal i guess. i did about 2-3 hours a day at the university, at the community college i have tons of time. do what you can til summer
Do you do whateva or become a musician you must decide.. only thing about becoming a musician is that pretty much everyone treats it like a joke until you get sumwhere then all of a sudden its amazing and everyone thinks its great.

You only get one life, do what you wana do but work ****ing hard at it..
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Quote by romanguard
Hello Everyone, I just wanted to share a problem I'm having with figuring out if I can have a decent future with the guitar. First, here is my backround,( Im 21 years old) Im going to college right now close to full time, my major is architecture. Im taking Biology, Architecture practice and Geometry right now because I have to take Trigonometry after Geometry.
So I spend about 5 hours studying for both Bio. and Geo. a day. Well, before fall semester started I was getting pretty good at playing the guitar I was becoming an intermediate player, I was a beginner who knew basic material and with much practice I began picking up lots of speed and developing my playing techniques and my ear.
Then college started and I found my self struggling to find time to practice,
I used to practice about six hours a day or more. I had a serious practice schedule with exercises and songs that I would play that would help me learn something. Well, the classes started requiring more studying and I had to completely drop playing, the only thing I do now is just hear songs in my car and pratice my ear training trying to pay attention to what the guitarist is doing , and trying to figure out what he is playing. I have heard of people playing about three hours a day and still going to school at the same time, but is that enough to become advanced. My definition of becoming advanced would be the ability to solo across the whole guitar neck like the way Zakk Wylde, Marty Friedman, or Eric Johnson can. I would love to just shred the the guitar like the way Matt Heafy from Trivium does. Thats my ultimate goal and its what I strive for with my 6 hours plus playing , but I just can't find the time to do it anymore, I can probably scratch out 2 or three hours a day and maybe 5 hours on the weekends.
But can I really learn how to play the guitar like my heroes mentioned above, should I just not even bother playing anymore because I'll never progress unless I practice relgiously everday, or should I make a small practice program for busy days and then play my complex program on free days when I can? Im thinking that it would just take me longer to become advanced if I follow a small practice regimen. I can feel it in my palying when I dont practice everyday, I feel slower and a little shaky with my hands. So i have to practice everyday without fail. Lately I have been feeling empty inside, because whenever I hear my stereo in the car I think to myself, man if I had time I can get to that level of playing. If anyone has any advice or has gone through a situation similar to this could you feel free to chime in, I think I covered everything i wanted to say.

^dude read my sig, you need a cold can of chill the **** out, just play when you can, learn when you can, and most of all, have fun with it, if it wasn't fun and you weren't enjoying yourself then why do it?
Quote by break-me-in
Get the fuck over it.

Guitar=/=Life

Whatever you really ****ing like =/= life

Whatever dreams you might have for the future =/= life

Grow up
Quote by wizards?
^dude read my sig, you need a cold can of chill the **** out, just play when you can, learn when you can, and most of all, have fun with it, if it wasn't fun and you weren't enjoying yourself then why do it?

^^^ Word. Chill the fvck out, smoke a joint or something! Playing guitar should be a hobby, something you enjoy doing when you have the free time. Some people really take guitar too friggin' seriously. Personally I like to take my guitar to the toilet with me and play blues licks whilst I'm taking a dump...
Zed: Bring out the Gimp.
Maynard: But the Gimp's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you better go and wake him up then...
Quote by rage6945
you dont need to stay on a strict six hour practice schedule to get good. just play whenever you have free time. and challenge yourself, thats the most important thing. i would suggest a teacher, because the only way you can get really good is having a good knowledge in theory.

^^^ Hendrix never had one lesson, couldn't read music and probably didn't have a massive knowledge of music theory, he just did tons of acid and let his fingers do the talking. He remains the greatest guitarist ever, so that's a pretty good advert for being self taught and doing lots of mind-bending psychedelic drugs if you can dig it, maaaaan...
6 hours a day??
theres no need, i just pick up the guitar when i want to jam
then when i've got time on my hands i'll sit down and practice for ages

it'll come with time don't worry, just enjoy playing
it'll take you years to get as good as some of the people you mentioned, its not a quick process

sometimes i find that a break from playing for a week or so can do wonders because you have so many ideas and are itching to get back to it

at the end of the day university is more important so play when you have some free time
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Quote by Maverick49
^^^ Hendrix never had one lesson, couldn't read music and probably didn't have a massive knowledge of music theory, he just did tons of acid and let his fingers do the talking. He remains the greatest guitarist ever, so that's a pretty good advert for being self taught and doing lots of mind-bending psychedelic drugs if you can dig it, maaaaan...

i hate how whenever someone talks about learning guitar and taking lessons, some dumbass stoner has to go "oh hendrix never took lessons he just did drugs". THAT DOESNT WORK 99% OF THE TIME. i mean i really dont know, but no one should pick up a guitar and say "hendrix never learned, i'll just figure it all out myself and i'll be as good as him." thats just plain being lazy

and sorry about the dumb stoner remark, i myself am a dumb stoner.
gear

PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
haha! no problem man, it was a bit of a light hearted comment anyway. I'm sure 10 years of playing the chitlin circuit with little richard, buddy miles and all the soul legends might have had at least some small part to play in Hendrix's awesomeness. Though if he's never done acid i think its fair to say we'd probably never had heard of him!
Quote by Maverick49
haha! no problem man, it was a bit of a light hearted comment anyway. I'm sure 10 years of playing the chitlin circuit with little richard, buddy miles and all the soul legends might have had at least some small part to play in Hendrix's awesomeness. Though if he's never done acid i think its fair to say we'd probably never had heard of him!

right you are, imagine hendrix dressed in like........... a suit or something. noooo way the hendrix i know trips balls all the time and dresses like a gypsy
gear

PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Hey there's nowt wrong with sum drug usage.. stoners however can **** right off annoying barstards!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Quote by Maverick49

You're right about Hendrix and his ass-kicking... but greatest ever?
not exactly
Thank you Rage 6945, camaroeric, and synth002 you guys made some good points. I think the best thing for me to do is just make a new program for guitar study for two or three hours a day , and when I can go back to practicing six hours, I will. I wish you all the best of luck with your guitar playing everyone , as for me, the guitar is the most amazing thing ever.
Quote by romanguard
anyone has any advice or has gone through a situation similar to this could you feel free to chime in, I think I covered everything i wanted to say.

Stop worrying, you're doing your best. I mean, you shouldn't really compare yourself to professionals. You can aspire to be like them, but don't feel bad because you're not as good as them.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
you dont need lessons to be good some people might but the ones that dont have dedication for guitar and will put in a lil more effort I have two friends that are both sick on guitar they taught there self I dont have any friends who took lessons and thats including bass friends drum friends and guitar
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Well, if you're thinking of EJ forget it. You'll never reach those heights if you're practicing that little. Zakk Wylde is again a totally other style of playing I prefer to call masturbation picking(and no I don't really like it), and really if you like playing that much - you can lose some sleep over it. Sleep 2 hours less, you'll manage.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
look at some of the bands on much.. do any of them look they practice anythign rigorous for any amount of time?

just relax.. if its going to happen, then it will.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by break-me-in
Get the fuck over it.

Guitar=/=Life

Wanker.

Threadstarter, just try and fit in more time. If you really want it, just spend a few hours less studying, or just stay up longer to make more time. Without knowing what sort of schedule you have I can't really help though, but just try to play whenever you can fit in time.

If you really need to, you could just play guitar a tiny bit each day until you leave school, and then focus on it more afterwards, but I doubt you'd want to do that, I sure as fuck wouldn't.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Work on your writing skills, forming paragraphs in particular. I could not read all of that.

Chances are you couldn't be as good as some of the people you mentioned even if you practised 10 hours every day. Just have fun playing, the rest will follow.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by synth002
Hey there's nowt wrong with sum drug usage.. stoners however can **** right off annoying barstards!

I have to say, some of the most annoying people I have ever met have been drinkers, all the stoners I know are generally friendly, laid-back, cool people with great taste in music. I dunno what kind of stoners you've been hanging out with mate! You should smoke up with my crew sometime and have a jam, haha!