so why is it I feel like I'm the only chick who plays guitar and listens to thrash metal?? common! I can't be the only one!!!!! who else is a chick?! jeez!

anyway..

so I've been playing for about 5 months now, and I have a few questions:

speed picking: How do I get faster? Either I barely keep up with the song or I keep up and my hand goes dead from exhaustion.. Is/Are there any way(s) to keep my stamina up? What should I do (practice is a given, but is there some kind of technique?)

AMPS!: I have a piece of sh** EX15FX R ex-series by Randal practice amp, and it totally blows. 2 effects; reverb echo and delay... barely any gain, what little distortion I have sucks. I >>hate<< it with a passion!! UGH! anyway what's a good somewhat cheap amp I can get that doesn't sound like a wimp? ((BTW I can't get a half stack or anything bigger, my room's to small))

pedals/stuff: I've never used one, but most of my guitarist-friends do, and I'd like to experiment a bit with it... what could I get that's cheap and offers good sound/experimental room?

thanks in advanced!! much appreciated
Quote by DieKrupps
what guitar do you have and what model ?

Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special

not much, and slightly uncomfortable, yet I love it
****! A girl with a Paul Stanley guitar!!!

You can get your speed up with practise only. It's kind of hard for a girl tbh, guys practise all the time when they are masturbating...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Speed picking: The real secret is to start slowly and work your way up to speed with a metronome, it'll take a while but there's no way 'round it: it's gonna take time and a metronome is the most efficient use of that time. And remember 2 things:

1) Try to eliminate tension from your playing; relaxed playing is the key to speed and stamina

2) Speed is a byproduct of accuracy; accuracy should always come first, not speed.

Gear in general: What sort of budget do you have, if any?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by p.stick
****! A girl with a Paul Stanley guitar!!!

You can get your speed up with practise only. It's kind of hard for a girl tbh, guys practise all the time when they are masturbating...

ROFL no fair! hahaha omg that's great haha

now about my piece of SH## amp ?
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
speed picking: How do I get faster? Either I barely keep up with the song or I keep up and my hand goes dead from exhaustion.. Is/Are there any way(s) to keep my stamina up? What should I do (practice is a given, but is there some kind of technique?)

AMPS!: I have a piece of sh** EX15FX R ex-series by Randal practice amp, and it totally blows. 2 effects; reverb echo and delay... barely any gain, what little distortion I have sucks. I >>hate<< it with a passion!! UGH! anyway what's a good somewhat cheap amp I can get that doesn't sound like a wimp? ((BTW I can't get a half stack or anything bigger, my room's to small))

pedals/stuff: I've never used one, but most of my guitarist-friends do, and I'd like to experiment a bit with it... what could I get that's cheap and offers good sound/experimental room?

thanks in advanced!! much appreciated

Practice. The reason your hand goes dead from exhaustion is because you don't have the muscles in your hand built up to be able to continue that motion aggressively for a long time.

Amp- price range?

Pedals- it'd probably be better to just add yoru pedal budget to your amp budget and get an amp that sounds really good. Or you could look at something like a Cube 30/60 or the Vox ADXL series that are small amps with some effects and such built in.
Your amp doesn't affect your playing ability in any way... What songs can you play now?

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo

I sometimes wonder why I bother.

What is your budget?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
right that was my other problem, sometimes I can keep up but it sounds like hell lol so I'll defiantly start out slow and work my way up.. it just gets tedious after awhile, ya know? I just wanna shred like my fav. bands

as far as my budget goes.. used to have a job, parents made me quit due to..uh... lets just say illegal substances. anyway I currently have no income 'till next summmer, however my b-day's oct. 3 and x-mas is commin up, so I don't plan on paying for it. however, if it comes down to it I have about a grand in the bank...
If you are not play any gigs and stuff, which I assume that you are not. I'd recommand a Vox AD30VTXL.

Quote by KileManA7X

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197X

That should do your metal needs quite nicely.

And yes, for shred practice is the only way, getting it clean then pushing the metronome up by not more than 5 bpm may sound slow but it's the only way.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by p.stick
Your amp doesn't affect your playing ability in any way... What songs can you play now?

yes, I realize that. however I *hate* how mine sounds.

as I've said before, I've only been playing for about 5 months; but I can play: Seasons on the Abyss, Spirit in Black (when my hand's not dead), Jump in the Fire, Am I Evil?, Years of Decay, Watch the Children Pray, and bits and pieces to a ton of other songs ((and I'm fully prepared to admit I suck, I'm not the type that brags about being good when I'm not ))

Quote by p.stick
If you are not play any gigs and stuff, which I assume that you are not. I'd recommand a Vox AD30VTXL.

no, of course not! lol totally not good enough YET... and thanks I'll be sure to add that to my list of things to check out

thanks to everyone btw
^ 50W tube... I think not... That thing will blow up the whole neighbourhood

Quote by KileManA7X

You know, if you don't have enough money for a new amp, a good distortion pedal can turn a weak amp into something halfway decent. A Boss DS-1 distortion pedal is a good, not too expensive choice. If you want something a bit heavier, go for a MT-2 Metalzone or a similar pedal by another brand. For a while, I was stuck with using a crappy amp, but I made do by using pedals.
spending more on a pedal to dress up a bad amp probably isnt the most effective way to go for the money. And I also wouldn't look for an amp that costs half an arm either, considering you have been at it for about 5 months, while seems like a while, waiting a while before a large purchase will allow you know exactly what your looking and more importantly listening for when you go into a shop. And you WILL want to go into a shop and try the amp first, it's not a good idea to just take someones word for it.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
spending more on a pedal to dress up a bad amp probably isnt the most effective way to go for the money. And I also wouldn't look for an amp that costs half an arm either, considering you have been at it for about 5 months, while seems like a while, waiting a while before a large purchase will allow you know exactly what your looking and more importantly listening for when you go into a shop. And you WILL want to go into a shop and try the amp first, it's not a good idea to just take someones word for it.

Agreed.

Take a friend as well, it helps a lot when deciding.

Quote by KileManA7X

chick who who listen to thrash

MARRY ME!!!!

anyways

amps that are small but have a punch The ROLAND CUBE series are great, they look ugly but they sound great for their size.

The speed thing is unfortunately mostly practice. Learning how to alternate pick really well will help with that.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
First off, to the person who said something about guys being better because we masturbate, sthu, i don't even use my fret hand for that.

And to the thrash chick, hehe whats funny is you wouldn't be the only thrash chick around here that plays metal, sorry you can't find people where you live. The only way to speed up is to take it slow and smooth out your movements and gradually speed it up with time and practice, I'm just getting to where i can play fast, and I'm nowhere near perfect, or impressive. And it has nothing to do with me being a guy, I'm actually excessively weak from chemo and steyroids(which im of the chemo now) and i did just fine, considering i was weaker and with less stamina than most girls. Practice, Practice, Practice, if i could make a giant font that says practice oh wait i can

practice

seriously yo.
1966 rickenbacker fireglo 335
78' twin reverb (loud awesome tone)

practice makes practice... never perfect
Quote by fadedgrim

And to the thrash chick, hehe whats funny is you wouldn't be the only thrash chick around here that plays metal, sorry you can't find people where you live.

seriously yo.

you have no idea how glad I am to hear that!! only "rockers" of the like around here are either into punk, that emo crap, metal/hardcore crap, or mostly death and black metal w/ very little thrash. T_T

thanks everyone for all of your help!! this site is great, good friendly people who actually know what they are talking about gotta love it.
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo

One of the many joys of having a penis Seriously, just practice all you can, and that amp, the AD30VT is very good (especially for s little money as that) but I reccomend the 50 watt version, as it is loud enough to do small gigs with.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
If you are not gigging soon, and are into a wide veriety of music (aka you want alot of versitilaty (sp?)) try looking into a Digitech GNX or a Boss GT of some sort. I have a GNX3 and I can get pretty much any sound I want out of it, and I play through a fairly ****ty amp aswell (I don't call it ENTIRELY ****ty, as it does still turn on and off, which is worth a point or two). But, if you are insistant in getting a new amp, look at the Roland Cube, the Peavey JSX mini dealy (completely forget what it's called, the non head version that isn't the combo... the smaller one...). Or just show up at a guitar store and tell them what kind of sound you want, and they should help you out, if they are at all competant.

pepsi
Quote by p.stick
It's kind of hard for a girl tbh, guys practise all the time when they are masturbating...

if you think girks dont, you are fooling yourself...
Quote by deadlydunc

You would've thought that would be more suited to bass though...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by p.stick

I wouldn't go for that if you play metal though, it seems more suited for Classic Rockish tones.

Look into the Roland Cube 30 as well, but a budget would help.
For your little rant I know a girl who plays thrash. She's not very good but eh whatever.

Speed takes time. Practice your modes, harmonic minors, and other scales. Play with a metronome or drummer whenever possible (although I admit I rarely do anymore)

Play the same scale asscending and descencding over and over. Keep bumping up speed as you go (start at a slow speed) and then keep playing tll you become incredibly sloppy. Then just work on that speed for a bit.

Make sure you aren't anchoring your hand. Speed comes from the elbow not the wrist.

As for the amp Would you mind going used? Do you use clean tones (undistorted) often.
A used JCM 800 combo (will be really loud oh) will give you the right tones.
The Peavey Windsor studio (if it sounds like the half stack version I don't know I haven't tried the studio yet) is great if you don't commonly use cleans.
i used to play heavier music but not so much anymore. doesnt move me as much.

dont worry about pedals, just save for a good amp and work with a metronome.

good luck chick.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Ibanez20th
For your little rant I know a girl who plays thrash. She's not very good but eh whatever.

Speed takes time. Practice your modes, harmonic minors, and other scales. Play with a metronome or drummer whenever possible (although I admit I rarely do anymore)

Play the same scale asscending and descencding over and over. Keep bumping up speed as you go (start at a slow speed) and then keep playing tll you become incredibly sloppy. Then just work on that speed for a bit.

Make sure you aren't anchoring your hand. Speed comes from the elbow not the wrist.

As for the amp Would you mind going used? Do you use clean tones (undistorted) often.
The Peavey Windsor studio (if it sounds like the half stack version I don't know I haven't tried the studio yet) is great if you don't commonly use cleans.

dude rad yay for chick thrashers

you also reminded me of a good point; I like some songs that start out with clean and then have distortion (Watch the Children Pray) what would I do in this situation? like, how do I switch back and forth??

I've been playing unplugged most of the time due to the fact I can't stand the sound of my amp when I play along with music *shudder*

Quote by deadlydunc

*whistles*
Quote by deadlydunc

That's a goddamn lie!!!

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
so why is it I feel like I'm the only chick who plays guitar and listens to thrash metal?? common! I can't be the only one!!!!! who else is a chick?! jeez!

anyway..

so I've been playing for about 5 months now, and I have a few questions:

As far as speed goes, just read this
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/misconceptions_of_practicing_for_speed.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ibanez20th

oh dear god no.

TS dont take this too literally.

while you do need to be unanchored and be able to use your elbow to help picking, speed comes from the forearm and wrist. you need a mixture of wrist, forearm and elbow movements to get a decent picking technique (and later on, speed).

the way it's said in that post, it makes it seem as if spastic elbow picking is the only way to get decent speeds. And if you try that for a sustained amount of time, you will injure yourself.

As for the amp, I wouldn't look at getting a large tube amp for now. tube amps are going to be too expensive or loud for you to get what you want from them. and the smaller tube amps aren't really suited to thrash.

I'm not that good with amps (practice amps anyway) I went from a Drive 10 watter to a jcm900 so I dont have much experience with starter-ish amps. there have been several suggestions in this thread and you should probably check those out.

If you looking for cheap effects, then you may want to consider a multi effects processor. you won't get the greatest quality, but you'll get a large range of sounds and effects for a relatively small amount of money.

and as for the switching from clean to distorted, there are several ways to do this.

a lot of amps have separate channels, which have different gain levels just pick which channel you want with a footswitch.

or if you buy a distortion pedal, put a clean sound on the amp and then when you want distortion, switch the pedal on.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
oh dear god no.

TS dont take this too literally.

while you do need to be unanchored and be able to use your elbow to help picking, speed comes from the forearm and wrist. you need a mixture of wrist, forearm and elbow movements to get a decent picking technique (and later on, speed).

the way it's said in that post, it makes it seem as if spastic elbow picking is the only way to get decent speeds. And if you try that for a sustained amount of time, you will injure yourself.

As for the amp, I wouldn't look at getting a large tube amp for now. tube amps are going to be too expensive or loud for you to get what you want from them. and the smaller tube amps aren't really suited to thrash.

I'm not that good with amps (practice amps anyway) I went from a Drive 10 watter to a jcm900 so I dont have much experience with starter-ish amps. there have been several suggestions in this thread and you should probably check those out.

If you looking for cheap effects, then you may want to consider a multi effects processor. you won't get the greatest quality, but you'll get a large range of sounds and effects for a relatively small amount of money.

and as for the switching from clean to distorted, there are several ways to do this.

a lot of amps have separate channels, which have different gain levels just pick which channel you want with a footswitch.

or if you buy a distortion pedal, put a clean sound on the amp and then when you want distortion, switch the pedal on.

thats one hell of a description.. thanks!! everyone's so helpful here