Hey guys my friend who plays bass has a question(he doesn't have a UG account what a noob )
I'm looking for bass song(s) to learn that have slap in them.(I'm just starting to get into slap now.) Right now all I can play is the slap part of Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers. So if you got any suggestions or you can help me become a better bassist and become better at slap... that would be great.

Thanks in advanced.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
tell me baby is decently easy on slap and fun to play. Id recomend anything by flea, cant stop verse is good slap, ill be your domino is funky stadium arcadium b-side with slap, aeroplane is awsome. anything really from flea is great fun to play
my first slap song was Fortune Faded by the chili peppers, good song, gives good dexterity
Is Fortune Faded slapped? I always thought it was slightly more aggressive picking... I might be wrong.

And Primus is NOT for learning slap bassists.

However, you should push yourself. Can't Stop (with all the mutes) by RHCP ain't too bad. Also, Prayer by Disturbed- yes, it IS slapped. It'll help build up your thumb speed and accuracy. Got the Life and Freak on a Leash by Korn helped me with my speed. However, I used what many on here would deem "proper" slap technique, as opposed to what Fieldy uses.

EDIT: Remember, you won't find slap in just funk rock.
Try slapping Classical Thump. It's sort of cheating, but good for practicing speed. Or so I find.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by ndhdl
my first slap song was Fortune Faded by the chili peppers, good song, gives good dexterity

delerium is right... believe it or not he uses a pick

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I disagree with delirium, i think tommy the cat is a pretty good slap song, its quite difficult for a beginner but once you get used to it its easy
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Is Fortune Faded slapped? I always thought it was slightly more aggressive picking... I might be wrong.

And Primus is NOT for learning slap bassists.

However, you should push yourself. Can't Stop (with all the mutes) by RHCP ain't too bad. Also, Prayer by Disturbed- yes, it IS slapped. It'll help build up your thumb speed and accuracy. Got the Life and Freak on a Leash by Korn helped me with my speed. However, I used what many on here would deem "proper" slap technique, as opposed to what Fieldy uses.

EDIT: Remember, you won't find slap in just funk rock.

yeh i gotta agree with you there ben primus is too high up the tree for our budding young slapper to reach just yet.

anyway i recommend "take the power back" by Rage Against The Machine as a good slap song for beginners, it was my first slap song and if all the mention of primus has tickled your fancy then check out "tommy the cat" for sheer awesomeness and "american life" for a fairly simple slap line
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by the metal bassi
I disagree with delirium, i think tommy the cat is a pretty good slap song, its quite difficult for a beginner but once you get used to it its easy

Either that's a really lame joke or I demand a video of you playing it.
Quote by the metal bassi

i agree with watchingmefall i'm gonna call bull**** unless i see a video of you playing it without a single mistake
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yeah tommy that cat isn't that complicated, it's just absurdly fast. And I'm not sure about his fills cause he changes them in every version I've heard, but the recurring part is just ridiculously fast. Which is why I can't play it.
it -is- easy once you have the rhythm down, but unless you've had some time to build up your slap feel and rhythm it'll just worsen you because you'll overwork yourself to learn something, and probably playing it the wrong way technique wise.
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Who cares how Flea plays it...I prefer slapping it as well
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I'll second "Take The Power Back" by Rage Against The Machine. You may have to work towards it progressively, but "Aeroplane" by the Chili's may be ok?
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Try slapping Classical Thump. It's sort of cheating, but good for practicing speed. Or so I find.

Uhh..what?

Classical Thump is slapped, how is it cheating?
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
Quote by benco
Uhh..what?

You're both wrong. Ish. It's called the Open Hammer Pluck technique, which is a kinda weird ass slap technique., where he slaps the open, hammers onto the the fretted note, and then pops the note again.

EDIT: I may be thinking about "Me and My Bass Guitar" actually.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Sep 23, 2007,
i play bass and one song i found pretty easy and also a lot of fun to slap was Take the Power Back by rage against the machine. even if you dont like rage def check it out. its a beast song
Ok guys, I dunno how i'm gonna but i'll record myself playing it and upload it, happy?
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You're both wrong. Ish. It's called the Open Hammer Pluck technique, which is a kinda weird ass slap technique., where he slaps the open, hammers onto the the fretted note, and then pops the note again.

Wrong. I believe almost the entire song is Double Thumped. Isn't it?

Oh god... We need to ask the man himself.

Edit: Just checked his site, and it's a variation of The Open Hammer Pluck technique... But I'm sure he plays it with Double Thumped/Thumbed (I can't remember which it is...)
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by benco
Uhh..what?

isn't it done with double thumping, or is it called double thumbing. idk

EDIT: it would probably be a good idea to read the entire thread lol!!
Don't know if TS is still looking for slap songs or not, but Bulls on Parade by Rage Against pretty much taught me how to slap and pop.