Hello, you guys here have helped me many times and I would like your help again. I am looking for a new amp for about $250. I want something that can do everything, some hard rock, and good cleans. I dont play metal it that helps at all. Thanks Again.

Quote by GoodCharloteSux
how loud are you looking for?

Just something for practicing at home and for occasional jamming.
Junior valve + TS808

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by uldhppi
Crate Palomino 5 watt tube combo, $200 USD. I would try one out.

that sounds a little small...i have a 10w that i got in a starter pack and i wanna go louder than that
Quote by punchout43
that sounds a little small...i have a 10w that i got in a starter pack and i wanna go louder than that

A 5watt Tube amp will be louder then even a 40 watt Solid State.

Edit: Maybe 40s pushing it but still, its loud enough to get the cops come knocking.
Last edited by CJRocker at Sep 20, 2007,
Quote by punchout43

5w tube (junior valve or CP) would almost be as loud as a 20w SS amp (ie your kind of amp) Also tube amps sound better when they are turned up properly.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by punchout43

The Epi VJ is especially loud, and perfect for what you want to play! Get it! Peer pressure. And, if you can get a stock Blues Jr. Speaker to go with it, I highly recommend it.

I'd rate the Epi around 30 watt SS, because it is one of those unusually loud amps, like the BJ.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
no. don't do it. get the 5watt crate. its more than what you need for practice. if u need it louder, just stick ur ear up to the speakers.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i like the effects built into the vox and i dont want to have to buy pedals to get all the different effects i want
dude those built in effects suck major ass dude. seriously. you can get a tube amp. so go get it. nothing better than a tube amp. you don't need to spend money for crappy effects. spend money for the REAL effects.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Don't listen to the tube obsessers , go with a that cheap 100W Crate, get a tube emulator pedal and your good. 5 Watts is a joke to jam out with come on people. You can find one on ebay for like 180 or 200
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
you can jam out with 5 watts. 2.5watts tube can be jammed out too. 15w would be healthy though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Don't listen to the tube obsessers , go with a that cheap 100W Crate, get a tube emulator pedal and your good. 5 Watts is a joke to jam out with come on people. You can find one on ebay for like 180 or 200

I don't have a problem with solid state (check my sig.) I understand where you are coming from. TS if you have to go with a solid state amp there are hundreds of ss amps for sale cheap on Ebay. Don't shell out money on a new one. I bought my Crate used for $50. I just walked into a Guitar Center the other day and saw a year old Crate 212 (probably 120 watts) for $150, and GC doesn't tend to be the cheapest on used gear by a long shot.
Quote by ECistheBest
you can jam out with 5 watts. 2.5watts tube can be jammed out too. 15w would be healthy though.

trust me Im also a drummer NO ITS NOT!

Quote by uldhppi
I don't have a problem with solid state (check my sig.) I understand where you are coming from. TS if you have to go with a solid state amp there are hundreds of ss amps for sale cheap on Ebay. Don't shell out money on a new one. I bought my Crate used for $50. I just walked into a Guitar Center the other day and saw a year old Crate 212 (probably 120 watts) for $150, and GC doesn't tend to be the cheapest on used gear by a long shot.

Don;t get me wrong Im not a tube hater, I just think that for 250 your not getting a good practical tube amp. Spending so much for such little power is never worth it
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at Sep 20, 2007,
I recommend actually trying the vox valvetronix 30 watter and the 5w tube amps and see which you like better. If it isn't quite what you want check out the roland cube 30x as well although the vox is supposed to be a little better in the clean area and the roland is geared a little more towards metal but I haven't tried the vox (I hear it's a great practice amp though)
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Quote by GoodCharloteSux

i posted three different wattages. which one's not?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the 5 watt 45 watts of solid state power is BARELY enough
Quote by GoodCharloteSux

The Epi VJ is one of those especially loud amps.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.