hey guys, i'm taking ap english in 12th grade and i need to pick an independent reading book. the problem is, i don't read much (especially books "of literary merit"), and the focus of the class is literature. i dunno how i'll deal with that.

anyway, i remember reading an excerpt from a book i thought was hilarious which i suspect my teacher might accept as independent reading, but i forgot the title or any names of characters or anything that might allow me to identify the book via google. this book was about this odd social outcast, a teenager, and the first chapter was all about his appearance and his philosophy on life. he was walking through a mall or store or something.

yea, fat chance that anyone will be able to tell me the name of that book. but in that case, can you guys suggest some interesting books that are "of literary merit"? i'm thinking about reading catch-22 or 1984 atm.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Catch-22 is fantastic, read that.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
a clockwork orange by anthony burgess, or the warriors by sol yurick
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
1984 is awesome
last.fm
Quote by darkstar2466
*head explodes*
You sir, are a god.

Quote by BBW
This song is about Little Red Riding Hood and her trials and tribulations with the Big Bad Wolf. He was a cunt who liked to bother pigs when they relaxed after work in their houses.
read them both... do the report on whatever you liked more... trust me though, read them both
300 by Frank Miller
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
I love 1984! Im reading it for the first time right now... So far it is awesome!
read great expectations by charles dickens. not a great read, but its easy to write about. talk about how its been used as a tool for social comment. thats what i did with it for my extension english course.
Yeah I've heard good things about 1984. I'm pretty sure I know the name of the book your looking for. It sounds a lot like "Catcher In The Rye." The main character's name is Holden Caulfield. If thats not the one you're looking for, I'd hit 1984.
Quote by Justin_43130
1984 +1

=1985!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Bubban
Catch-22 is fantastic, read that.

Quote by Tiger88
I like Catch-22 out of both of them

Agreed, by far the best book I've ever read.
I'm actually in English 12 AP as well. If you were to decide against those two books though, I would suggest maybe something written by Ayn Rand like The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, or We The Living.
My personal suggestions would be Catch-22 like most people have said, and Catcher in the Rye is a great book too like someone already mentioned. Also The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton is really good, and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is probably my favorite book ever, and its really easy to write about.
If you have the time read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's much better than 1984.
cool. thanks everybody!

i looked up catcher in the rye, and it's definitely not that one...the book i'm thinking about is funny (or at least the first chapter was).
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
anyway, i remember reading an excerpt from a book i thought was hilarious which i suspect my teacher might accept as independent reading, but i forgot the title or any names of characters or anything that might allow me to identify the book via google. this book was about this odd social outcast, a teenager, and the first chapter was all about his appearance and his philosophy on life. he was walking through a mall or store or something.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower?

I dunno, all the chicks at my school seem to love it. I've never read it, but it sounds like that would be the one.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Damn I forgot Atlas Shrugged. Yes. Forget 1984 and Catch-22. Read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Now THAT is a literary masterpiece.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.