I have noo idea on how to find the key to a song for the solo.
im so frustrated right now cause i always think i understand it, but when i try it, i realize i am wrong.
on a tab to M.I.A. bye Avenged Sevenfold, it says the 11th fret on the D string, then the 12th fret in the D string. i cant figure out wat scale it would be.
i bet this is VERY basic to u pros out there.

*this post isnt to just know the key for M.I.A., its to use it frequently.

if u have guitar pro 5, heres the tabs M.I.A.
FightFor Honor, Fight For Your Life, Praying To God That Our Side Is Right.
-M.I.A.

Seize The Day or Die Regretting the Time you Lost is Empty and Cold Without You Here.
-Seize The Day
so its a c scale?
-M.I.A.

Seize The Day or Die Regretting the Time you Lost is Empty and Cold Without You Here.
-Seize The Day
11th fret D= C
12 fret D = C#

No idea how you reach this conclusion unless the song is played tuned down a semitone. Im not sure, never heard it.

so i base your solo on the C Scale which is

C D E F G A B C

Dont know how u get this either. Theres no C# in the C major scale.

it says the 11th fret on the D string, then the 12th fret in the D

(Assuming its standard tuning) This would be C# and D. Theres lots of scales that contain both C# and D. From the top of my head: A major, A mixolydian, B minor, B harmonic minor, B melodic minor, B dorian, D major, D harmonic minor, D melodic minor, D lydian, E dorian, E mixolydian, G lydian.

So, as you can see, theres plenty of options and thats not taking into account that it could be an exotic scale, or that one of the notes is an accidental/passing note.
I generally try to find the first chord of the song and that sets the key. This isn't always the case, but works for the most part.
Try running your finger down the E string playing each fret as you go, there should be a note that stands out more than others as fitting the song.
If you have the tabs in GP5 the notes should be right in front of you, no? If you're not sure how to read sheet music the lines are: EGBDF from bottom to top.

And as mentioned, two notes do not determine a key, analyze all the notes / chords in the solo.
Quote by CircleThisCity
Try running your finger down the E string playing each fret as you go, there should be a note that stands out more than others as fitting the song.

+1, Ear works for me.
AHHHH!!!

This is like a whole different language to me!! I need to learn my scales, but have no sources. Are they really that important?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by tom183
No idea how you reach this conclusion unless the song is played tuned down a semitone. Im not sure, never heard it.

Dont know how u get this either. Theres no C# in the C major scale.

(Assuming its standard tuning) This would be C# and D. Theres lots of scales that contain both C# and D. From the top of my head: A major, A mixolydian, B minor, B harmonic minor, B melodic minor, B dorian, D major, D harmonic minor, D melodic minor, D lydian, E dorian, E mixolydian, G lydian.

So, as you can see, theres plenty of options and thats not taking into account that it could be an exotic scale, or that one of the notes is an accidental/passing note.

Wow, .... win...

And I have this problem too...learn scales!
Quote by philipp122
AHHHH!!!

This is like a whole different language to me!! I need to learn my scales, but have no sources. Are they really that important?

Yeah... You don't really need to know the theory, but your ear and fingers need to know what notes to play. With some experience you'll know which notes fit into the scale automatically - I can just assume the right intervals - and theory is just a way of introducing people to the aspect of soloing and improvisation.

Basic theory: Assume that a song consists of chords (be it power cords or major/minor chords, doesn't matter). What you could do is take EACH NOTE out of all those chords and then look for a scale they fit into. For example, if a song went in C major and followed every rule, you'd see the chords in the song only contained the notes C, D, E, F, G, A and B. That means you can use the C major scale to make a solo that fits to the song. You can also use other scales that use the same notes - like A minor.

It'll be better if you have a teacher who can teach it to you. Music can't be learned well by correspondance.
I'm a communist. Really.
so to find the key for the song u find the first chord played and thats generally it?

**EDIT**
nvm.
-M.I.A.

-Seize The Day
Last edited by 0jhawk0 at Sep 21, 2007,
HOLY SHYTTT RAZIEL U ARE THE ONLY ONE IN THE POST THAT HELPED A TON!!!!!
thnx man.
-M.I.A.

-Seize The Day
one more questuin for everyone.
i got the notes of each chord in the son (i think) it took me a while because i have to like count the notes up the fretboard the whole time lol.
the notes were, C, C# D, E, F, G, A, A#.
-M.I.A.

-Seize The Day
like the guys say :
it could usualy be the first or last chord of the song ,
if not just work your way up the fretboard and try each major and minor scale ,
you might discover interesting things
Last edited by amibami at Sep 22, 2007,
the notes were, C, C# D, E, F, G, A, A#.

Looks like C mixolydian with the C# being an accidental.

so to find the key for the song u find the first chord played and thats generally it?

This is quite often the case, dont consider it to be a rule though.
No, do not trust the first chord or note in the song as being the key. While this is normally true, it is often not. Crazy Train for example, first chord is F#, but it is in the key of A. Same with Canon Rock, the first note is F#, but the key is D. I would say F# is the most used #/b note.
Quote by chasingeuphoria
music theory is hard
i wish i took it high school

It's actually quite easy...at least to me. Basically everything is based off the major scale.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp