Ive saved up money and credit with my family (im 16 =p) to get a nice new bass, since ive proven im interested in going somewhere with the instrument, but im a bit lost as to what to get

I was looking at a fretless, especially one of the Jaco models, since im a huge fan of jaco, and i love the fretless sound, and i have a great appreciation for jazz music. But really the only type of music that i perform with other people is metal of various forms, especially metalcore type stuff. So im stuck between whether i want something for personal enjoyment, or for more practical use with other musicians of the genre that is predominant in my area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated =)

(note: at the moment, im using a Ibanez SR 305 DX 5-string at the moment)
Fretless is a nice way to go. Also, you can make it work with metal if you try hard enough. It's all how you make it sound. As for models, I'm useless. However, I'd like you to know that I fully encourage you to go fretless. =D
Steve DiGiorgio plays a fretless bass in metal so it can definitly be done. I wouldn't buy a fretless though. I'd defret the Ibanez and spend the money on a fretted bass or amp. The reason why I'd do that is because you're already fairly used to the Ibanez so it won't be such a big transition from fretted to fretless and if you decide that fretless isn't for you then you didn't spend a lot of money on it. If you really want the fretless though, get it.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I am not sure a fretless is the way to go in a metalcore type setting. I mean, it can be done, but it's not really goign to sound great. If you're going that route in music, but still would like to play jazz and have a super versatile bass, I would take a look at a step up from the SGR, an Ibanez BTB. I own a 5-string BTB and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. If you want to try the fretless thing out, go for it. But I dont think it will work that well.
aixelsydevahi has a good point. and a strange name, but anyway. I'd look into getting a fretted 5-er or even 6-er and go from there. how much money do you have to spend?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
thanks for the input guys =) yeah ive considered defretting the Ibanez if i get something better along the lines. I was looking at StingRays, but from what i gather, theyre more set for rock and alot of slap type stuff, and without the kind of punch id need for metal type music. Besides, i much prefer tapping to slapping and popping.

Ive got around $1500 to spend on a new bass, so please, dont hold back (much) =D
Quote by Revelation
aixelsydevahi has a good point. and a strange name, but anyway. I'd look into getting a fretted 5-er or even 6-er and go from there. how much money do you have to spend?

Id prefer to go for a nice 4-string, since the bass's with more strings tend to hinder my stage movement =P but i guess its not that much of a biggy.

And i have around $1500-2000 for a new bass. Id prefer to keep it as close to 1500 as possible, but im open to ideas
get a rick... the metal bass.....outstanding basses..... iunno how much they go for prolly around 2k

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
MM Stingray
Vala: 1987 Stratocaster Plus
Dargie: MM Stingray 5 HS Dargie Delight 1 of 15
Buttercream (for now): Stingray 4 HH ltd. 2005 Buttercream
Rose: Bongo 5 HH Fretless Candy Apple Red

Dargie Delight Aholic of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
if your looking for a fretless or a bass for metal then defret the ibanez and get a warwick vampyre
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Go with Warwick or an American Fender Jazz. Both would be great choices, the Fender being more so because you can still do Jaco stuff on the side and get a tone closer to his than with the other basses.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
thanks for all the replies guys =) and might i add how disturbing i find your avatar Krist? =p