And here I thought I'd already decided on a guitar....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Melody-Maker-Electric-Guitar?sku=512640

So, yeah, they also carry the blemish defect version for just over $250, which is just as much as the Danelectro was going to cost....which is why I'm suddenly interested in these....

The thing is, didn't these things have P-90s originally? The current model definately don't LOOK like P-90s........I'm not too interested if they're cheaping out on that front. Then again, it IS only $250.

So, has anyone had any experience with these? any idea as to what the pickup sounds like?

EDIT: just realized there's also an Epiphone version. Would you guys have any advice as to that one?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-57-Les-Paul-Jr.-Reissue-with-P100?sku=519390

Not much of a color choice, granted, but still....
Last edited by Wulver at Sep 20, 2007,
i have the epi 57 reissue in vintage sunburst. it plays great and almost never gets out of tune. i love mine
slash palyed a melody make when i saw velvet revolver, it sounded amazing but it also had an upgraded pickup. a seymour duncan Alnico II Pro APH-1 to be exact.
Originally Posted by Blawler
in the bathroom, i found my step mothers dildo, none the less, i licked it. She's not an attractive woman, I just couldn't resist, I did this for a couple of seconds and then I realized a dildo is an imitation of a penis
So, what I've got out of this thread so far:

-Gibson Melody Maker=not worth it
-Epiphone version=decent

Am I correct so far?

And I'm willing to bet Slash had a vintage one.....as such, I'm realy not convinced of the quality of the reissues....
The P90's were in the Les Paul Junior (I think.) Gibson says the MM has a "specially designed single-coil pickup) or two in the case of the model MF is selling. I have not played one of these since the 70's but I remember the neck was a little too thick for me, but I like Ibanez necks. It sounds sorta like a Tele, sorta like a Strat, sorta like a Danelectro. So you aren't too far off from your dream sound. I remember at the time I was an all out radical Gibson humbucker guy so I didn't like it all that much, but as of where I am now I might like it. You need to try and play one. On some other forums the old guys (like me) talked pretty highly of it, but they said it wasn't very versatile, at least the one pickup version.
im getting a 12 string 1968 melody maker soon and it probably will be **** too
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
The one Slash has is a Les Paul Junior set up for slide play. Pretty sure it isn't a vintage one.
The P90's were in the Les Paul Junior (I think.) Gibson says the MM has a "specially designed single-coil pickup) or two in the case of the model MF is selling. I have not played one of these since the 70's but I remember the neck was a little too thick for me, but I like Ibanez necks. It sounds sorta like a Tele, sorta like a Strat, sorta like a Danelectro. So you aren't too far off from your dream sound. I remember at the time I was an all out radical Gibson humbucker guy so I didn't like it all that much, but as of where I am now I might like it. You need to try and play one. On some other forums the old guys (like me) talked pretty highly of it, but they said it wasn't very versatile, at least the one pickup version.

Hmm. Well, thanks, that's gone and got my interest up in it again. I'll check the local places, see if they have any on display.

So, the LP Jr. has the P-90s then? Wonder why I haven't been able to find any of those online...
The LP Junior has a P 90.

Melody Maker has, and has always had a smaller single coil. Sounds a bit twangy, but warmer and bigger sounding than the standard tele.
I had a 58 Melody Maker that I loved to death and it was the last of the Gibson guitars I sold. I wish I never sold it. I would love to find another. I have seen and played the new Melody Makers and I do not think it sounds as good as my old one.

John
i have a 1963 melody maker. it sounds excellent,bespecially through. pretty versetile, would prefer humbuckers tho :P cant vouch for the quality of new 1s but id imagine that they are alright.
single coils and mahogany= ewww.
P-90's and mahogany= bees knees
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Carl Barat from the Libertines has toured the world with em..

3 old ones, 1 new one, and they all sound pretty good!

Yes, I <3 Metal but im a secret Libertines / Dirty Pretty Things Fan :X
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

I lulzed.
Hi, I just stopped playing my MM I receved 2hours ago, duel pups and I found the neck p-up to be hot with full base tone and crisp on the high side the bridge was a bit more twang, nice tone for rock . The setup out of the box is right on. It is nice weight around 6- 61/2 lbs. The blues sound is right there. $349.99 for this pup and I look it over real well, and I must say Gibson could get 800 for this, don't tell them. Bought at M-frends
I played one at a GC awhile back and felt like a cheap toy. I wouldn't doubt the parts are all chinese too keep down costs. Skip it.
They are probably the cheapest Gibsons Guitar out of all of em your paying for a Squire like piece of **** with Gibson on the headstock, they are pretty pathectic so Ive heard.
Holy crap, I forgot I even made this thread.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Coaxke
Carl Barat from the Libertines has toured the world with em..

3 old ones, 1 new one, and they all sound pretty good!

Yes, I <3 Metal but im a secret Libertines / Dirty Pretty Things Fan :X

That's because The Libertines are incredible Even if you didn't get into the first Babyshambles album (definitely a marmite album, methinks) you should check out Shotters Nation, great stuff.

But yeah, they Melody Makers sound great, but they do feel cheap. I remember when I was playing one I said to my friend "This guitar has absolutely no right to sound that good...it just feels so cheap!". If you can get over or like the way they feel, then you can get a great guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The Melody Maker that the post maker was looking at is a '58 reissue with 2 single coil pickups, and is a different guitar entirely from the Les Paul Junior. There is more than one Melody Maker available from Gibson, these include the dual P-90 version with one or two cutaways, and the single pickup version which is similar looking to the LP Junior but was a different headstock and a much thinner body and neck, as well as having a finish where you can feel the wood grain.

Re: Epiphones Les Paul Jr, I own this guitar and it is amazing for the price but here in the UK it was only a limited run and usually only available in vintage sunburst. I think it is still available from thomann.de and at a far better price than I paid but I'm not sure about the US.

AND the pick up is a P-100 (Hum cancelling stacked P-90) not a P-90 and although it sounds good, very good actually, it is apparently not representative of true LP Jr. sound.

BTW, it's amazing how cheap that MM is on Musicians Friend as over here you'd struggle to fin one for less than £400 ($800).
come on.... a gibson for 300ish.. be serious. it must be so crap you cant even imagine.. i mean if people consider faded gibsons (apart from les pauls) to be crap and those are like 700+, imagine how much this one would suck. then again you never know..
LP Juniors have a P-90,but if you want two get one of those special edition ones. They have two p-90's.
But Melody Makers do not.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
melody makers have a lovely no frill thing about them, you be cant like, oh shall i record with the neck, or middle positions, wait lets try it with bridge ect.
you have the one sound and its just killer to get on with it and play the damn guitar!
Quote by We'realltoBlame
LP Juniors have a P-90,but if you want two get one of those special edition ones. They have two p-90's.
But Melody Makers do not.

There is a single pickup version of the MM that has 1 P-90.

Personally, I have only played the 1 pickup model but I don't think the dual single coil one will be as bad as everyone is saying. Just cos the body shape is like an LP it doesn't mean it has to sound like one. Also, before you slag a guitar off you should try it out.
I must tell you that the duel pup is very nice, I have played a SG with P-90s about a week ago at GC and this sound just like it. For you guys that think it's cheap, well it is in cost but it comes with gibson deluxe tuners and the neck is very nice, not thick; just about like the gibson SG I played last week. You can wine about it but if you did not know what it was you would think it sounds pretty good. It is not made in china like some of the Fender stuff. I will pull my pickups off to find a part number for further info. Now I think ill have a beer.