I really think so...

Anyway...It's not really that hard so far... but I am definately a novice at it. Does anyone have any good recommendations of books, CD's (preferably), computer software, or other techniques/tricks to learning the language.
Last edited by RandyVanHendrix at Sep 20, 2007,
I would say you could go to google and type something like software for learning japanese but if you want free type FREEware
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
the best way to learn a language is to hang out with kids who can speak japanese, but also english as well so its not awkward all the time lol.. cause my first language isnt english, but i had a lot of friends that i hung out with, and that helped me learn it so much faster..
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
rosetta stone is a really good program. google it
(>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')>
Definitely learn it in school if you can. I've been trying to learn on my own and it's been tough. Just wait until you start trying to memorize kanji and their stroke order, it's not a good time.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
...this thread makes me think two things.

1: I think I'm learning Japanese I think I'm learning Japanese I really think so!

2: SHOGUNAIHITODACHINEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by musicianamedave

1: I think I'm learning Japanese I think I'm learning Japanese I really think so!

haha is that in reference to I think im going japanese? and I didnt notice you was from north carolina I was there not to long ago
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
watashi wa steveo desu

is all i learnt.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
I was in French immersion since kindergarten, and I can hablo un poco de espanol, if you know what I mean eh eh?
Quote by Bubban
Definitely learn it in school if you can. I've been trying to learn on my own and it's been tough. Just wait until you start trying to memorize kanji and their stroke order, it's not a good time.

Yeah, I have no problem pronouncing it, and the grammer and sentance structure is coming to me, but (trying) to learn the hiragana, katakana, and (the big one) kanji makes me want to gouge my eyes out!
にほんごならいたいなんてばかじゃねーの?
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by punk_metal2007
haha is that in reference to I think im going japanese? and I didnt notice you was from north carolina I was there not to long ago

Yup.

Also, the word is quite possibly my favorite phrase in Japanese ever. Literally translated, it means "I am surrounded by pitiful people."
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
i'm actually turning japanese right now.

at least, i think i'm turning japanese.

hm...

i really think so.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
BTW I don't have access to a Japanese class, and I want something that is not as harmful to the wallet as Pimsleur. I bought Pimsleur basic Japanese and it basically has taught me everything spoken I know so-far, it's excellent. But when I looked up it's sequels the ABSOLUTE cheapest I could get it was $130.
Quote by SteveBeginner
watashi wa steveo desu

is all i learnt.

It's "Boku wa" if you're a dude.
Quote by RandyVanHendrix
I Steve-O you?

my name is steven or something.

Quote by Bart-kun
It's "Boku wa" if you're a dude.

oh, damn.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
Clicky Fantastic and most importantly, free, kanji and vocab dictionary.

For learning hiragana and katakana I think you should get some flashcards or something; there are some that associate them with pictures. e.g. 'a' looks sort of like an antenna. Then practice writing them in short spare moments. The sooner you familiarise yourself with them the better. This game is what taught me these scripts. Clicky

As for listening, try JapanesePod101.com. They are short conversations given at normal speed, slowly, and with an English translation. You can start off with these listening exercises and use them to get you familiar with vocab, or use them later to practice listening for them.
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
Last edited by Yamiyo at Sep 21, 2007,
When I first started learning at school it was easy, I was pulling in A's and A+'s
After a while it got really hard.
Quote by The Spoon
i wasnt wikipediaing blow job okay, it just happened

Quote by primusfan

one time i fucked a sofa.

Quote by Draken
Freedom of speach?

on a private website?

Based in Russia?

i'm sorry comrade, but you fail.
You want to learn Japanese? Move to Japan. Only way to do it.

When you get there, go out drinking most nights, and avoid other foreigners.

Lastly, study Kanji. It's ****, but your learning will really snowball once you can read again. Besides, illiteracy is a pain in the ass.
"Is that the fucking bible?"

"That's Holy Fucking Bible to you"
Quote by yoshixxx7
にほんごならいたいなんてばかじゃねーの?

translated to romaji, that's
nihongonaraitainantedakajyaneno

i have no idea what it means, but so far in japanese class we just learned our hiragana characters, so i can read it but no clue on what that means.
best way to do it is to learn it in a class, if you're school offers.
Quote by dude_bro
translated to romaji, that's
nihongonaraitainantebakajyaneno

i have no idea what it means, but so far in japanese class we just learned our hiragana characters, so i can read it but no clue on what that means.
best way to do it is to learn it in a class, if you're school offers.

He was saying that 'wanting to learn japanese makes you stupid', but it looked like confusing gobble shite because he didnt use any kanji.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Are you planning on moving to Japan? That would be awesome

Actually watching loads of Japanese films with subtitles would also help.
alright, let's clear all this up. 'watashi' is fine for men or women, but 'boku' is definitely more manly.

get pimsleur, its the best. dont pay for it, get it on torrent. trust me, i probably have close to $1000 worth of of books, cds and programs that i bought that were absolute ****. pimsleur for speaking.

as for reading, www.realkana.com. teach it to yourself, just trial and error. took me a couple days to learn hiragana and katakana.

as for kanji, i got this useful book called kanji fast finder which is a kanji dictionary for retarded gaijin like myself. i use it whenever i need to figure out how to work my toilet or something (japanese toilets are awesome). forget trying to learn 2000 characters
Quote by musicianamedave

Damn you beat me to it...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by radio_schizo
Are you planning on moving to Japan? That would be awesome

Actually watching loads of Japanese films with subtitles would also help.

Actually I'm planning on moving to Japan in a couple years (got my fingers crossed). I'm gonna see how I like it there for a couple years. If it's not better than the U.S. (I imagine it will be better) I'll probably move to some E.U. country, because in the words of the Clash “I'm so bored with the U.S.A.”