hey guys so im thinking of buying a kill switch for my guitar like the one tom morello has. In an interview he says u need to volume knobs. My guitar doesnt. If u buy a kill switch will the store u buy it from put in the volume knobs or can u only get 1 if ur guitar has 2 volume knobs.
No its because, with two volume knobs, you can do a killswitch effect simply by using the toggle switch. Because each knob kills the volume of one pickup, put one at 0 and one at 10, and then flip up and down the toggle switch.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
thats a stupid idea. then you cant use one pickup. search for "the ultimate killswitch thread"
Quote by 09cody09
hey guys so im thinking of buying a kill switch for my guitar like the one tom morello has. In an interview he says u need to volume knobs. My guitar doesnt. If u buy a kill switch will the store u buy it from put in the volume knobs or can u only get 1 if ur guitar has 2 volume knobs.
Hi Cody,
It's a little confusing isn't it? Tom Morello started doing stutters with a Les Paul that had two volume controls that weren't independent. He turned one of the volume controls to zero and used the pickup selector to kill, as bluezombie described. If you want to use your selector switch the same way, you could change the way your guitar is wired. If you can live without having a tone control, you can use that as a volume control for the bridge pickup, and wire the original volume control for just the neck pickup.

If you're willing to add an extra switch, using a soft touch pushbutton is much easier to wire, and easier to use. I suspect Tom has done this on a few of his guitars. I know BucketHead and others do this. You can read about how some of the other UG members have done this here:

the ULTIMATE killswitch thread

If you buy your switch from a parts store or RadioShack, they won't install it for you. You'll have to do it yourself, or take it to a shop where they repair guitars.

I don't think your idea was stupid. I think you just had a few things confused. Maybe I helped straighten that out?

Cheers,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.