Poll: Which amplifier?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amplifier?
Ampeg SVT 6-PRO
11 65%
Gallien-Krueger 2000RB w/ factory upgrades
6 35%
Voters: 17.
OK, as a few of you know I put some money down on an American-made Ampeg SVT 6-PRO head. However, it's not yet fully paid off and some inner voice keeps bugging me to look into the Gallien-Krueger 2000RB that's sitting right next to it at the same price. The GK is used, like the Ampeg, and comes with the cooling upgrade and three bridge cables. It's not too late! Which head would ultimately do me better? I've played both thoroughly, and they both sound fantastic. I can't decide!! Thanks for your help
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Sep 20, 2007,
AS a touring musician i use GK because it is built to last
my friend also tours and he went through 3 ampeg heads in 1 year, top of the line ones too, and he switched to GK and that thing has lasted him 1 1/2 years so far
If he was touring with a Classic or 2-PRO I could understand a breakdown, they've gotta be fragile and hard to transport........... what did he formerly use?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by treebranch13
he tried 3 diff, and considering the size of his rack, i bet he tried this 1

if it was the thin, 2-rackspace one with two rows of knobs, it's the 6-PRO. If it was massively huge, it was the 2, 4, or 5-PRO.
Dude, did you get the PM I sent you?

I still think you should stick with the SVT6 unless you're biamping. People who say GK aren't paying any attention to the model number and the fact that it was discontinued. The new version of it is pretty much the same with the exception of the fact that it won't blow up.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Dude, did you get the PM I sent you?

I still think you should stick with the SVT6 unless you're biamping. People who say GK aren't paying any attention to the model number and the fact that it was discontinued. The new version of it is pretty much the same with the exception of the fact that it won't blow up.

yep, I got your PM, and I must say it's been the most helpful bit of advice I've gotten so far I was just getting more opinions. What will cause the GK to blow up? even with the upgrade?
Basically, the GK overheats, causing the power amp to run hot, and eventually explode. Literally. I've read stories of sparks coming out of the thing and everything. Now, the cooling upgrade helps it stay cool, but from what I understand, all it does is recirculate (more) air, which in turn cools the head. This may work, but it doesn't change the fact that it still runs hot. And, don't forget, high-powered fans can fail, too. I'm not trying to scare you, and in the PM I said the chances of failure are very small. However, I'm just letting you know where the failure would occur if it does.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thanks! however, what's your opinion on the tone of each head?
Quote by mountaindew88
thanks! however, what's your opinion on the tone of each head?

Distinct. They're quality heads and have quality sounds. However, unlike, say, Carvin, or even Fender, neither are terribly transparent heads. They all have that branded tone. It's just a matter of preference at that level.

However, what head would I make sound the best?

Ampeg. Parametric EQ. Period.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
yeah, plus with the Ampeg I'll have that one extra rackspace to fill with more **** I really don't need :p

and one final question for the wise and powerful Oz (thefitz): What's your opinion of Ampeg's move to China? The 6PRO in question was made in America under SLM Electronics, but still, what do you think? will the company still back up their stuff as well as they used to?
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Sep 21, 2007,
Quote by mountaindew88
yeah, plus with the Ampeg I'll have that one extra rackspace to fill with more **** I really don't need :p

and one final question for the wise and powerful Oz (thefitz): What's your opinion of Ampeg's move to China? The 6PRO in question was made in America under SLM Electronics, but still, what do you think? will the company still back up their stuff as well as they used to?

Aren't they being made in Vietnam? Anyway, I'm torn from the outsourcing. Not everything that comes from 3rd world Asia is crap. I think the only reason they've moved out is to keep costs the same. The production may have made it's way there, but Ampeg will always be an American company. If you call them, you call an American. They'll fix the gear in America. Yes, the first batch of Vietnamese Ampegs have the potential to be a bit shakey since they might not have the assembly process down, but I don't think it's the end of the world. For a company like Ampeg to move, they're moving for a reason. I think it's to keep costs low instead of line their pockets.

And, for what it's worth, my Fender Bassman is made in Indonesia. I haven't a problem with it yet.
Quote by Cody_Grey102