I am looking for something that can give me a lot of distortion, so I was was wondering if the RAT can give me that metal type distortion.

Right now I can get huge distortion just by increasing the volumes on my Muff and TS9, but the Muff doesn't have that metal sound (although it sounds pretty mean )

With just the TS9 I get a good amount of distortion but it still just heavy rock type distortion, so I will need something that isn't fuzzy to get even more distortion.

I will of course try the Metal Muff.
Last edited by ixelion at Sep 21, 2007,
i have a soundclip of a Rat on my profile.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
mine is. it's not an "actual" rat, but a clone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Grol8Vr84o8

ive been looking into the rat myself. i found this, but id like to hear some opinions about it from people who own one.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Yeah the RAT can do pretty decent Metal sounds. It's got an obscene amount of distortion and does tend to get fuzzy if you've really got it cranked. But yeah about half way up works for Metal.

Mind you, the RAT does have a fairly unique distortion sound which may not be exactly what you're looking for. Boss DS1 or a Maxon SD-9 are far more traditional sounding distortion pedals.
if ur getting that impression of the rat being fuzzy and smooth from my clip, it might be my amp. i have a fender that's voiced totally like a vintage '50s stuff, so yea. it chops off the high treble grit. sorry bout that.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
what gear are you using? my '82 vintage rat has quite a lot of grit to it, but i wouldn't say it's appropriate for metal. and, as icronic it said, it has a very very unique tone to it. you may want to look into a turbo rat if you're set on a rat, or you could check out other various dist pedals. what's your budget?
I don't want to go over $150-$160 Canadian. I am using a Fender Champ 600 and an Epiphone LP.

I do like it's unique tone, and I am hoping it can do palm mutes well (as well as it can for my setup, I am not expecting big sound from a small amp).

I really don't want fuzz I just want straight up distortion.

Boss DS1 or a Maxon SD-9

Do those have lots of distortion? Because they seem like regular distortion pedals for rock type stuff.

Thoughts on Line 6 Uber metal? Judging from the samples on musician's friend it sounds like what I am looking for.
Last edited by ixelion at Sep 21, 2007,
Quote by ixelion
I don't want to go over $150-$160 Canadian. I am using a Fender Champ 600 and an Epiphone LP.

I do like it's unique tone, and I am hoping it can do palm mutes well (as well as it can for my setup, I am not expecting big sound from a small amp).

I really don't want fuzz I just want straight up distortion.

Do those have lots of distortion? Because they seem like regular distortion pedals for rock type stuff.

Thoughts on Line 6 Uber metal? Judging from the samples on musician's friend it sounds like what I am looking for.

From my experience, Distortion pedals can only do rock type stuff, IF on an SS amp. But, with tube amps, Distortion pedals don't seem to be able to do anything besides metal, and OD's are for rock.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Rat Is a very good versatile pedal. I used one a long time ago. Cranked its way too fizzy but turned back its a very good pedal. I plan on getting one again sometime (mine fell out of a van and I didn't notice till we ran it over)
Quote by CORT noob
From my experience, Distortion pedals can only do rock type stuff, IF on an SS amp. But, with tube amps, Distortion pedals don't seem to be able to do anything besides metal, and OD's are for rock.

umm...no? through my dsl401, my crunchbox can go from a nice heavy hard rock/80s metal tone to a sweet rock tone, to a soft, bluesy grit, depending on how i set it up. same as through my hrd.
Quote by CORT noob

well if your going from a clean to distortion I would agree. However if your going from a overdriven tone to added gain od can give quite a heavy tone.
I am leaning towards the BOSS DS-1 for the price.

Any other distortion pedals about the same price as the DS-1?
I've tried the Proco Rat before and it'll do low to mid gain tones alright. But i wouldnt use it for high-gain, kinda has this loose fuzzy sound to it. The metal muff also has that fuzzy voicing too (well it is based off the muff pedal), but to a lesser extent.

Personally, im not a big fan of both the pedals. Spend a bit more and you can get the tech21 sansamp gt2 preamp pedal. Serves me well as a "JCM800 in a stompbox(brit channel)" for a downsized rig.

But ultimately, an amp built for hi-gain is still the best source of distortion.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
i would never get a DS1 just because its cheap. never.

the cheapness reflects in the cheap muddy sound it creates.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The GT2 is very expensive, I still have a lot of pedals to buy so It's not feasible.

I am no longer considering the RAT due to the fuzz many it claims to have, ditto for the Metal Muff. (I will try them on my amp anyway)

Is the DS-1 really muddy? The price is right, how bad is it really?
Quote by icronic
Yeah the RAT can do pretty decent Metal sounds. It's got an obscene amount of distortion and does tend to get fuzzy if you've really got it cranked. But yeah about half way up works for Metal.

Mind you, the RAT does have a fairly unique distortion sound which may not be exactly what you're looking for. Boss DS1 or a Maxon SD-9 are far more traditional sounding distortion pedals.

This about sums it up. I totally agree. I have a very early ('79?) Rat, & anything past the 12:00 position on distortion is mudville, but below 12:00, it rips. It seems fuller sounding & more edgy to me than most distortion boxes.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011