I have currently begun playing bass(if any of you remember my first post i was practicing on my nylon string in order to get some ghetto practice) My bass is an Ibanez GSR200 and my amp is a Line 6 low down studio 110. I have ditched my effort on the 3 finger picking, mostly because I enjoy the sound of 2 finger picking more, this brings me to my first question: With practice can I bring 3 finger picking to the same sound as 2 finger picking, and is it worth sacrificing the simplicity of using 2 fingers? My second question is I just read on http://www.studybass.com/ that for fretting I should try not to use the tips of my fingers, I should instead use the finger pads. From my experience on guitar, it was strongly reccomended to use the tips, Should I make a hardcore effort to fix my habit?

(ill make spaces between some stuff in order to make it easier to read) My third question is, what should I begin practicing? I am mainly going to be jamming with some friends, mostly with iron maiden songs, however I am very in to blues and funk on bass, however I haven't really listened to much of it, so I guess this is a few questions in one and here they are! Can you reccomend me some sick funk/blues bassists to listen to, as well as the basic techniques I would need in order to reach the levels that they play at? Also I would very much like any other tips you guys can give me, so thanks for reading, and I'm really looking forward to learning everything I can on this wonderful instrument!
Quote by someguitarguy88
Dodging? Pansy. We don't dodge where i come from.

As for the pain factor, just get used to the pain. Punch various objects such as walls, trees, floors, your mother, rocks, table etc. Just generally anything hard.
you should ultimately use every finger on your right hand and left hand to play something (maybe with the exception of the left hand thumb, but i have a 6-string bass, and that's impossible for me).

pads or tips of fingers are fine. because the strings are so much bigger, the pad is more likely going to be more comfortable, but there's no perfect way of doing so.

check out flea from the red hot chili peppers. he mixes a lot of funk stuff in with rock. p-nut from 311 is another great example (and his stuff isn't that difficult). for blues, just pick up a blues album of stuff you dig and learn it all the way through.

try learning slap too. if you dig funk, that's where it's at.

and finally, for funk listening, anything by george clinton and the parliament funkadelic all-stars (p-funk all stars for short) is pretty much essential.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
For three finger picking it would be ideal if you could do it, but not totally essential. A good way to learn it is to just play nice easy songs with root notes and rather than switching with ring and middle, use your third. I like Buck Rogers by Feeder for it, nice and easy.

That's about all I can help you with personally >.<
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
*bliiink* ... so would it be bad that I only use my thumb and occasionally my index finger when I play bass? >.< why didn't someone tell me this before I got used to playing it that way?
Quote by SteelToedGirl
*bliiink* ... so would it be bad that I only use my thumb and occasionally my index finger when I play bass? >.< why didn't someone tell me this before I got used to playing it that way?

We're not in 1951 anymore

But yeah have you been playing long? Because the standard technique nowadays is index and middle.
Quote by SteelToedGirl

You almost have the bad habit I had when I started playing. I used my index only, ala James Jamerson. Its a hard habit to break, but unless you have really strong and fast fingers (in your case the thumb and index) you are not going to ever achieve any sort of speed or endurance in playing.

Start working your index and middle. Play an open string and say out loud "middle/index" as you use each finger. Then use the same method and practice a scale or an easy song doing this.

Later on, if you can in a third finger (which is useful in gallops and fast triplet runs). But right now its important that you get the basic two finger approach down solid, otherwise its going to be a roadblock in your playing.
Indian: I've been playing for exactly 33 days now, so I'm pretty sure I can break from the habit pretty fast. (I started two days before school started... but being in Jazz band and a being very musically literate person helped me learn pretty fast)

Anarkee: I'll work on it.. I never knew that it really mattered that much. I guess the thumb just sorta carried over from the bit of guitar that I had learned before.
try this. tape your first two fingers together and your last two fingers together. then you're forced to use your middle and ring to practice.

screw with the technique to work on your pinky. tape your first three together, and leave the pinky untaped. now you're forced to use your pinky along with one other finger.

thumb is best used for slapping, but it's up to you how you want to do it.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
If you want to 3 finger pick, go ahead do it. I don't because I don't use it, but if you'll use it, it will come to the same sound as 2 with practise. You should always play with the tips of your fingers. It's just good technique. I'm not sure what that website was on about.
And don't think that 3 fingers will make you quicker, Jaco only ever used 2 and he was no slouch.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Three fingers are the method Lord Steve of Harris uses on a few Maiden tracks, most famously 'Run To The Hills'. Listen to that one, and hear how the bassline 'gallops'. You'll
need speed, consistency and endurance to do it, so it's maybe not one for today; it's an example and a target.
Three fingers simply makes fast triplets easier, so it is worth learning anyway.
Quote by creepingjesus73
Three fingers are the method Lord Steve of Harris uses on a few Maiden tracks, most famously 'Run To The Hills'. Listen to that one, and hear how the bassline 'gallops'. You'll
need speed, consistency and endurance to do it, so it's maybe not one for today; it's an example and a target.
Three fingers simply makes fast triplets easier, so it is worth learning anyway.

Sorry man, that's wrong. Steve Harris just uses two fingers, his ring finger moves by isntinct with his middle but it doesn't play any string, it's an illusion, sort of. He even said it on an interview. I think indiebassist has the page.
Quote by watchingmefall
Sorry man, that's wrong. Steve Harris just uses two fingers, his ring finger moves by isntinct with his middle but it doesn't play any string, it's an illusion, sort of. He even said it on an interview. I think indiebassist has the page.

This man speaks truth.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by watchingmefall

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/command-performance/Sep-06/23348

There was also an interview out on maidesnfans.com which he talked about this as well, but I can't seem to find it out on the site at the moment...
Quote by watchingmefall

Eh? That I have to see! When I play RTTH with three fingers it sounds just right. I'm positive I saw him play it three fingered the last time I saw them live. Get back to me on this one, or I'll just assume it's a wind-up!
Quote by creepingjesus73
Eh? That I have to see! When I play RTTH with three fingers it sounds just right. I'm positive I saw him play it three fingered the last time I saw them live. Get back to me on this one, or I'll just assume it's a wind-up!

Explain your right-hand technique.

I play with two fingers, except when I want to play a chord; then I splay out all of my right-hand fingers like a fan. I find myself doing more chordal playing these days. I like the heaviness of it.

Those are HIS words.
Quote by watchingmefall
Explain your right-hand technique.

I play with two fingers, except when I want to play a chord; then I splay out all of my right-hand fingers like a fan. I find myself doing more chordal playing these days. I like the heaviness of it.

Those are HIS words.

Thanx for the article Anarkee, but he doesn't say that he doesn't use three fingers. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I'm a little sceptical about this, so I'm keeping an open mind about this until I see something concrete.

Watchingmefall, I'd like to refer you to the above point, and add: it goes like this. I tuck my little finger up out of the way, then lead with my ring finger, then middle finger, then index finger. 3-2-1, 3-2-1, and so on for as long as needs be. I tend to anchor my thumb on the edge of the P pickup (there's pictures of my Fender in my profile if you wish) and sweep my hand back Stanley Clarke style. Is that ok with you?

In my original post here, I did say it was a useful technique, and that's why. Knock in a quick triplet when you're already moving quite quickly? Hmmm...that's how it's done which is why I've always played RTTH that way.
Why thankyou kind sir. I am, however, still waiting for something on the two-fingers story. While I was doing a bit of searching on this one myself, the puppy stole my naan bread right off the table beside me!!! So this is serious now...it's cost me food!!

And apologies to the TS for derailing the thread..
Haha, thanks for the tips you guys, and in relation to the topic shift, im pretty sure Steve Harris uses 2 fingers. btw, thanks for the interview .
Quote by someguitarguy88
Dodging? Pansy. We don't dodge where i come from.

As for the pain factor, just get used to the pain. Punch various objects such as walls, trees, floors, your mother, rocks, table etc. Just generally anything hard.
Quote by IndianRockStar
We're not in 1951 anymore

lul.

personally, i can play 4 fingers and still get a nice constant sound..

learn run to the hills, then you'll be sweet

edit: page 2 snypa