Page 1 of 3
i need to change the stock pickups on my guitar cuz my guitars a pretty cheap model an wanna change the stock pick ups cuz they suck !!! this's my axe http://www.mcmusic.ro/product_view.php?BrandsID=27&BrandCategsID=174&BrandProductID=977
ntn special but looks good..... i play mostly stuff like bodom, megadeth , metallica, trivium, inflames, slipknot , lamb of god.... m confused on what pick ups to buy.... either an EMG 81 (in the bridge) or a Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker....... both r fer around 145 $........
do u think they r okay fer the guitar.....cuz i heard frm a few ppl that if they dont go well with the guitar...the can down HORRIBLE ~!!! an i hav also the option of a DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion thats for 85 $.......or any other which is good for metal......
Last edited by cob1712 at Sep 21, 2007,
Err...You're not gonna wanna hear this, most likely, but don't bother wasting money on pickups, not if you're playing through that amp.

Pickups make a small percentage of your tone, whereas an amp is responsible for most of it. If you're looking for more oomph, you're tweaking the wrong part of your signal change. Look towards a new amp. Since you're willing to throw down 145 bucks for a pickup, surely you can save up for a better amp.
pickups make a small percentage ?? !!! i though they mattered the most !!!!!!! or tell me some other cheap ones cuz these ones just SUCK MAN !!!!!!!!!! terrible........
this amps just for home practice an for gigs i borrow a Marshall JCM2000/DSL100..... which is pretty damn good man
an i rarely play gigs....... anyways just tell me ur opinion EMG 81 or anything else ???
EMGs might sound worse through your current amp than your stock pickups...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
to get the full useage out of any active pickups, u need a full tube amp, or its not even worth getting them

pickups only really make up for catching the vibrations of the strings and picking up harmonics

get yourself a better amp and some good passive pickups, dimarzio evo or seymour duncan JB '59, JB's will pick up harmonics better, or go with something a little more distorted go for a duncan distortion or invader

seymour duncan dimebucker is just terrible, cleans are flat and the pickup is all around just muddy
I was never impressed with the JCM2000 series, myself...

But I would stay away from the EMGs, as FUA, they would probably sound worse through your MG50...
They're designed to drive a tube amp's preamp hard...With a solid state, yeck...

If you really think you need new pickups, I need some more information. Why do your current pickups "suck"? What do you feel is lacking?
Where in the world are you located?
aaaaahh....lets see im in india.....an in my current pick up thers too much humming..the sound isnt very clear either... its very hard to produce good harmonics....i can do harmonics im sure i did it on my frends ESP, on my very amp........ he had a KH-2 an it sounded godlike on even my MG50 !!! its got 2 81's.... so i thought that might improve the sound quality...... its connected thru a Zoom 505 II.......
Last edited by cob1712 at Sep 23, 2007,
blackouts might be a bit difficult to get in india........but if ill give it a shot if i can find them...... how much r they for ???
Don't get the Blackouts, they'd give you the same problems as the EMGs would.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by cob1712
pickups make a small percentage ?? !!! i though they mattered the most !!!!!!! or tell me some other cheap ones cuz these ones just SUCK MAN !!!!!!!!!! terrible........

You are only as good as your weakest link. Most stock pickups that "suck" don't really suck. Some pickup makers might want you to think that their CNC winder has some mojo that makes it better than a CNC machine in China but the truth is they are using the same parts, the same machine, and the same wire. In the end it's pretty much the same pickups. There are some exceptions but as a general rule, stock pickups are not that bad.

On the other hand, cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party. So get a new amp 1st.

Don't get me wrong... Pickups can make a huge difference in your tone, but it only helps after you have an amp the is capable of telling the difference and crap amps can't.
Not taking any online orders.
ah.....so the MG50 sucks an i shuld be lookin for a better amp rather than a pickup ??? but i played a friends KH-2 on this and it sounded like a whole f****** lot better !!! the main reason i hate the pickups is cuz lots of humming at high gain and the sounds very muddy an often sound VERY VERY plastic without any depth !!! i try to play sum slipknot sounds like sum 5 year old bangin the guitar !!!
the sound is all mixed up........if u play a fast riff u cant make out whats going on !!! i tried to play the main riff of my sweet shadow by inflames an i couldnt make WTF i wuz playin !!!!!
I'm gonna say that's your amps fault.

What amp settings are you using, anyway?
Quote by utsapp89
i keep the bass on 8 and treble on 5......normally make the adjustments thru my Zoom 505 II.....
dude iave just bought this amp, ill buy a better 1 later.......but i need these new pickups.........cuz better amp u can borrow but not better pickups !!!!!!!
@ everyone !!! iave seen ppl using a MG15 an writin bout it here an no ones sayin anythin to them an everyone here tellin me my MG50 sucks !!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
I was never impressed with the JCM2000 series, myself...

But I would stay away from the EMGs, as FUA, they would probably sound worse through your MG50...
They're designed to drive a tube amp's preamp hard...With a solid state, yeck...

If you really think you need new pickups, I need some more information. Why do your current pickups "suck"? What do you feel is lacking?
Where in the world are you located?

Eh, sorry Az, this is probably the first time we have disagreed on something related to guitars, but i have EMGs in my strat i built, and i play through a solid state Fender amp. And they freakin rock through it.. I dont have 81's though, i use EGM selects which dont require batterys. So that could make a difference. But regardless my EGM's sound killer through my solid state. Although i wont argue that a MG50 amp doesnt suck, but i wouldent say it sucks because its a solid state, its just a crap amp.
^^ Selects are just the same as normal pickups really.

The pickups really will not make a notable difference TS. If you just bought it can't you take it back? I hate it when store owners take advantage of people who don't know what's good and bad...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Forgetting the amp, the main problem is that the EMG is an active pickup and that guitar only has single volume and tone controls. That means you'll either have to buy a complete set of active pickups ($$$) or ditch the other two pickups and only use the EMG.
The more you know, the less you understand.
last.fm
Quote by Insolent
Forgetting the amp, the main problem is that the EMG is an active pickup and that guitar only has single volume and tone controls. That means you'll either have to buy a complete set of active pickups ($$$) or ditch the other two pickups and only use the EMG.

dude im new to this......so can u explain y ???
Passive & Active pickups don't mix very well. It's a pain in the ass to wire them like that.

How recently have you bought the MG? Take it back if you can, if not, sell it. If you can return it, use some of your pickup money and have a look at:

Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 60
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Epiphone Valve Junior head & cabinet

If it's only for bedroom practice, those amps will suit you fine.

If your any good at soldering, I'd recommend shielding your guitar better, potting the pickups using shellac and replacing the output jack and potentiometers. Pretty cheap options, but very effective. You'll probably sound better with a new amp & those options than new pickups with your MG
Last edited by Cofflecakes at Sep 23, 2007,
Quote by cob1712
dude im new to this......so can u explain y ???

Short story, you can't mix active and passive pickups with the one set of controls.

Long story. Passive pickups consist of copper wire wrapped around a magnet. When you pick the string, an electric current appears in the copper wire in and is sent away for amplification. Passive pickups are wound with this copper wire thousands of times and have a fairly high output level. Active pickups are not wound as much and therefore have a lower output. However they have small preamp built into them to amplify the signal (hence the need for a battery).

For this reason, 250k or 500k controls are used with passive pickups and a mere 20k for actives. Unless you have a Les Paul or similar with individual controls for each pickup, you can't mix and match active and passive pickups.
The more you know, the less you understand.
last.fm
If you are playing thruogh an MG then get low output pickups like PAF's. High output pickups will only hurt your tone through that amp.
Not taking any online orders.
the MG is only a bedroom practice amp........my tone on that amp dusent matter that much......it should sound good on big ass speakers when i gig !!! an i couldnt hav gotten summin bigger cuz the neighbours complain !!! .........my frend lend me his stack whenever im jammin with a few ppl.... so it works out fine.....
2nd question if this i have to buy a pair of them, then instead of the 81's hows the HZ H4....thats passive and cheaper.......thats standard pickup used by ESP these day in ALL their guitars !!!
Quote by cob1712
2nd question if this i have to buy a pair of them, then instead of the 81's hows the HZ H4....thats passive and cheaper.......thats standard pickup used by ESP these day in ALL their guitars !!!

no no and some more no.
ESP uses seymour duncans and active emgs in their guitars.
LTD (esp cheaper version) uses seymour duncans and active emgs in models 400 and up(not exactly sure if its 400 and up) and uses either the ltd pickups or passive emgs in their cheaper guitars i.e 200 and down.
not exact but yer.
hey alexi uses these !!! the whole CoB and many more metal bands use these.....well for my current guitar i think they wuld work fine.....not to expensive and are passive, ill get the EMG feel.......
Expecting to get the EMG feel out of HZs is like Dave Grohl expecting to get a share of Nirvana's profits with Courtney Love still alive; it won't happen.

And pinch harmonics are purely technique, I can pull them on a parker fly and my peavey and a strat just as well as the other.

And mixing actives and passives isn't difficult, you just need different values for the volume pots. You could get concentrics with 500k for the passives and 20-25k for the actives and still do both a volume and tone for each.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Page 1 of 3