Page 3 of 3
Quote by cob1712
hmmm guys im lookin for more of slipknot and lamb of god and CoB kind of tone rather than the 80's thrash tone........

..Who said the SH-11 sounds like 80's thrash?

Dude, I think you seriously overestimate how much influence pickups have oin your tone. SERIOUSLY. The gutiarist from LoG uses vintage output pickups in his guitar...But he uses a Mesa MARK IV. That's how he gets that heavy sound.
^^ i know man, i mean i just got into all these technicalities of pickups and all.....earlier all i used to do was to pick up my guitar and play........
I don't really try to map it out, honestly. It just makes for a jumble of numbers and a lot of poeple arguing. I'd say an amp makes 70-80% of your tone, then guitar wood and pickup type (humbucker, single coil), then effects, then pickups. Not taking technique into account.

In any case, you're probably not gonna get near any of those bands' tones with what kind fo amp you play...So just be happy with your sound right now. Work on your technique, see if that will fix your "pickup problem".
Basically, the way it works is, if you have a decent guitar, you should get a good amp, some good effects, then worry about the pickups. The pickups are more about acuteness of tone, rather than general tone. Don't get me wrong, I mean, if you switch from like, Duncan Designs to EMG 81's, you're definitely going to notice, it's just that it's still gonna sound like crap if played through a crap guitar+crap amp.

What you want, at a beginner-intermediate stage (which I assume is where you are now? correct me if I'm wrong please) for a good tone, is a good amp. I know loads of guys who have decent guitars that have crappy amps, and they just sound horrible. I know a guy who plays a Yamaha Pacifica with Dimebuckers in it, it's a decent enough guitar, and the pickups are decent in it, but he plays through a 10 or 15 watt Fender Squire amp, and it just sounds like ass. He even tells me "man, your tone sounds better over the phone than mine does in front of me." If he just upgraded to let's say, a cheapie 50 watt Fender Frontman, let's say, it would sound miles and miles better, even without the Dimebuckers.

I know a really spoiled, and I'm talking SPOOOOILED kid who plays an Explosion Razorback, but because he plays through some piece of crap noname amp, he doesn't know why the hell he sounds so terrible. (Which he does, but he's an assface so I'll not be telling him lolkthxbai)

Just get yourself a decent amp, and probably some nice effects pedals (if you use them) then I'd say go for some new pups. After all, if you get a new guitar, you can always take out the pups from the old and put em in the new.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
ohk that made sense..................fine ill save money for a good amp and for effects i hav a zoom 505II and a Boss MT-2............last question, this amp is just my bedroom practice amp and when i actually play with a band i obviously have a MUCH MUCH better amp, either provided by the people where im playin or borrow from a friend (rich ass has a few really good ass amps man).........so i was basically looking to improve my tone there as i played a little gig a few days ago and the guitar was humming like HELL !!!!! and sound was very very bad and muddy like hell, and the prob wasnt with the speaker bcuz my friends Ibanez GRG270 (China made, it aint a good guitar) was sounding quite good compared to mine............. after that i thought that i should change my pickups, that was the main reason.
Ohhh is that it?! Then you just get a noise-gate! Especially with a Zoom and an MT-2 (I've played through both) you're deeeefinitely gonna get some muddy wish-washy tone. Either get an NS-2 or a Line 6 Uber Metal like i've got, it has a built-in noise gate.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
the NS-2 is availabe...........but would it actually make the diff ????? an the prob is definetly with the pickups ????? and my MT-2 has broken down so im left with only my zoom......
Oh yes. Check any artist's rig, they will all be using noise-gates, and most actually do use that NS-2. Wow, MT-2's are bad, but Zooms alone are freaking terrible man. I'd seriously recommend the Uber Metal distortion, because the dist you get from that has a whole variety, it's widely recommended. If not, then just get the NS-2's. It's definitely not your pickups man, pickups are the last thing you should be worrying about.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Noise gates get rid of all the hiss on your sound. they can take away from the top end on the lower models but it is worth it as your sound becomes a lot more controlled without it squeeling etc.

Also a bit off topic but i rememeber someone using a 5150+ on clean and then using a distortion pedal to get his distortion. No offence but when i saw that i nearly hit the guy. The sound was so flat and lifeless compared to the actual distortion the amp is capable of.

Pickups are a very little bit of the equation but they do have a significant impact. the Amp makes up a good 70 - 80% of your sound. If there is no effects involved it would be 75% amp 15% pickups and 10% wood.

Your not gonna get a metal tone out of a Fender Reverb no matter what guitar you have. Itll always sound trebly and 'cleaner' than a metal sound. Same guitar through a Marshall has a completly different sound.
Page 3 of 3