heya, im jimmi

ive lately decided that i want to get into some amatuer guitar building and ive been advised that the best place to start is a lap steel. i have been playing for a while and get the concept of a lap steel but have never actually played one, my real problem is that i need to know what kind of bridge would be best, if i should put a tone pot on or just a volume and what kind of pickup would be best for the least amount of money. and also what size of wood i should get given that i wont it to be around 900mm long (i dont know how many inches that is) and over 200 wide because i want to put some curve into it

any help would be sweet and im sorry if theres a better thread for this kind of question. Thanks a bunch jimmi!
Quote by jimmi_the_d
heya, im jimmi

ive lately decided that i want to get into some amatuer guitar building and ive been advised that the best place to start is a lap steel. i have been playing for a while and get the concept of a lap steel but have never actually played one, my real problem is that i need to know what kind of bridge would be best, if i should put a tone pot on or just a volume and what kind of pickup would be best for the least amount of money. and also what size of wood i should get given that i wont it to be around 900mm long (i dont know how many inches that is) and over 200 wide because i want to put some curve into it

any help would be sweet and im sorry if theres a better thread for this kind of question. Thanks a bunch jimmi!

I have 3/4 made a lap steel, just never got around to painting it
I used a single humbucker with no knobs - all the versatility is controlled by a single switch that changes between a coil-split, a killswitch and 'normal' mode. For my bridge, I used one similar to what's on a LP Junior (a wraparound style bridge) as this was the easiest to get.
For the wood, I suggest you use more than one piece. I've seen plenty of people do a neckthrough design - one plank that has the headstock, 'neck' and basis for the body, then two wings on either side for adding shape to it. Make sure you get at least 1" left over on either side to help if you make mistakes.
I'm sure there are sites dedicated to building a lap steel - do a bit of a google around and see what you get.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
thanks a bunch, i have found a site its good stuff i just need to find out more about bridge placement, i am trying to figure out how far the saddle should be from the nut. i hope you get around to finishing that badboy someday sounds nice