well today im wanting to spend like 3/4 of the day practicing and I basically want some ideas of what to practice and I am a beginner and please no flaming and no saying to go to a teacher or something please, thanks.
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by Mad-Season
Go practice your pentatonic scale.

for hours
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
scales are your friends

play them over and over again

untill u can play em faster

and faster

and faster...

you get the point =P
scales are cool, but if you are just beginning, i would play some simple patterns. start from the 1st fret and play 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234. going up on the strings. then repeat as needed. then you can do 124 124 124 124 124 124, repeat as needed. 134 and so on... then you can change it up. 124 241 412 124 241 412. 1234 2341 3412 4123 and son. Ok, so that looks a little complicated but its not, they are just frets and you should play the, descending and ascending on all strings, and move it down a fret every time you finish. i read this in guitar words mag, paul gilbert suggested doing these kinda things for about an hour a day.
ok maybe I wasnt specific with HOW much a beginner I am I do practice my scales, I can play some parts of songs all of soy bomb, all but solo for iron man, and then random things of a bunch of songs I know some basic open chords and have gotten fast at switching them have started on memorizing the notes on the fretboard been playing for a lil over two months there other things but yeah I already know the 1234 thing I do that also and I use alternate picking while doing so
Quote by SkyValley
i just started about 3 weeks ago and all i do is just try to learn a song little by little. i practice this part and then when i get sick of that i try a little part of another song and then another song and so on back to the first one. then i try a little bit more each time and i always see improvement. i usually play 1-3 hours a day (i stoppd playing video games) and every day i feel i little bit better (even if i am not) i think it works pretty good, i did the scales at first but they get really boring after a coupel of ours. I WANNA ROCK
they call og or nothing at all!!
Quote by Metallica rulz
scales are cool, but if you are just beginning, i would play some simple patterns. start from the 1st fret and play 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234. going up on the strings. then repeat as needed. then you can do 124 124 124 124 124 124, repeat as needed. 134 and so on... then you can change it up. 124 241 412 124 241 412. 1234 2341 3412 4123 and son. Ok, so that looks a little complicated but its not, they are just frets and you should play the, descending and ascending on all strings, and move it down a fret every time you finish. i read this in guitar words mag, paul gilbert suggested doing these kinda things for about an hour a day.

That was Steve Vai, my friend.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Quote by haggin13
i just started about 3 weeks ago and all i do is just try to learn a song little by little. i practice this part and then when i get sick of that i try a little part of another song and then another song and so on back to the first one. then i try a little bit more each time and i always see improvement. i usually play 1-3 hours a day (i stoppd playing video games) and every day i feel i little bit better (even if i am not) i think it works pretty good, i did the scales at first but they get really boring after a coupel of ours. I WANNA ROCK

You'd get much more out of it if you were to focus more on scales than on actual songs. Sure you can do some songs, but I highly recommend working on some scales as well. It'll help you a lot in the long run.
Yeah, but its the beginner's way to want to play songs and not learn theory.

For the record, theory is good. however, if you're teaching yourself, theory is very boring and time consuming. Learn one scale before you play your songs. Then at the end of the practise, play it again and see if you remember it. Keep doing it until you remember it.

BTW, Theory is the study of scales, chords and generally the rules of music. just in case you didn't know.
Quote by McGrim
You'd get much more out of it if you were to focus more on scales than on actual songs. Sure you can do some songs, but I highly recommend working on some scales as well. It'll help you a lot in the long run.

If he doesn't know the notes on the fretboard yet scales are pretty much a complete waste of time, save for the picking practice

TS, learning the notes is the most important thing as far as theory goes, scales can wait. Just work on your basic techniques - open chord changes, barre chords, picking cleanly and accurately, fretting properly. Have fun, thrash out a few easy songs using chords and loosen up your right hand.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com