I have reached the stage where i'm in need of a recording setup, so i could record at my home with decent quality. I spent few hours on searching the gear i need. This is the list i came up with :

Sound card: M-AUDIO DELTA AUDIOPHILE 2496 - 85 EUR- should be thest best for the buck- could get a way better deal at ebay

Mixer: BEHRINGER XENYX 802 - 58 EUR- not sure about this piece. could get a M-AUDIO AUDIO BUDDY for 111 US

Microphone: SHURE SM57LC - 95 EUR the on and only as i read, could get a way better deal at ebay

Cable: THE SSSNAKE SM6BK - 5 EUR - inessential
Mic Stand: MILLENIUM MS-2002 - 14 EUR -inessential

Total with shipping is 279 EUR
I would like some feedback on the list, whether it needs some tweaking or its ok.
This is the site where i can order them: Thomann

PS: I'm using a Hellraiser C1 and a Cube 30.
Last edited by Valupill at Sep 21, 2007,
What is the mixer for? I don't see a purpose for it in the setup unless you are doing a full drumkit and need extra inputs.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Well it was meant to be a preamp. Anyway i was too impatient and bought all the items Got it all from ebay for 333$ its was a good deal, now i just need some cabels.

Sound card: M-AUDIO DELTA AUDIOPHILE 2496

Preamp: M-AUDIO - Audio Buddy

Microphone: SHURE SM 57
What software are you using to record with?
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
I suggest you keep some money at the side because they can be expensive. I think Cubase is around £500 and Pro tools is around that same mark. There's a bunch of free software list at the top of the riffs and recording page anyway.

As far as I know Behringer mixers are pretty decent and having a mixer is always useful for the E.Q and getting a good recording volume.

The Shure SM57 is pretty decent.

Seems like an all right setup, Just remember to have something to record it on to your computer with.
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
not sure why you got a mixer when you could've just used cubase or something
Quote by pos69sum
not sure why you got a mixer when you could've just used cubase or something

It would be cheaper for him too get a mixer and use audacity or free software than just to have cubase.

Each has it's pro's and cons.

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
Quote by Flemfloyd
It would be cheaper for him too get a mixer and use audacity or free software than just to have cubase.

Each has it's pro's and cons.

yeah but he could torrent his copy of cubase, plus he can use plugins and use other sequencing programs like reason inside of cubase.
software - audacity or anything will work here

Hardware - Why go with a recording card and mixer when you can just go with an interface like a toneport or something similar...?

Mixers are ok in some situations for recording but they are more geared toward live use because they almost always mix every input to a single stereo track.

with an interface you get preamps and good quality as well as more than a single output track meaning you could record two inputs at one time and edit them separately later down the line. I could see using a mixer if you have an interface with 2 inputs and a drum set that needed to be miced and mixed to a single input. Other than that, I just don't see a point in getting one.

Get an interface, mic cables, stick with something like the Shure SM57 and you will be happy with the quality.

edit - so you got all the stuff already.
well it isnt the best way to go but it should work ok for what you are looking to do.

I had that 802 mixer once and hated it...preamps are really noisy.(just a heads up) Now I'm running a Yamaha MG 10/2 ($100 new...cheaper on ebay) into a recording card on my computer.
I'm looking to get a nice interface setup going but need money first and with vista I'm limited to what I can use because not all products have drivers out for vista yet. I think ill end up going with the Mackie firewire interface when I get the cash and upgrade to a nice control/interface with 8 inputs later down the road.

Anyways I hope to hear what your setup sounds like when you get it all running...be sure to post a few recordings for us.
I'm sure, ill love the quality. Because at the moment this is the way it goes guitar->amp->some crappy sound card -> audacity. It takes a bit tweaking, I'm some what pleased with it results i get. Ill post a sample once I'm finished recording a small solo.
Ah damn , so I should have waited with the purchase.
Quote by Valupill
I'm sure, ill love the quality. Because at the moment this is the way it goes guitar->amp->some crappy sound card -> audacity. It takes a bit tweaking, I'm some what pleased with it results i get. Ill post a sample once I'm finished recording a small solo.
Ah damn , so I should have waited with the purchase.

you can always sell gear and upgrade later on.
but for now it will work