I'm working on my custom guitar and i need to clearcoat my new neck but i dont know what to use. what would be best and fastest drying for clearcoating this thing.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
sand your neck with a very very high grit sand paper, 2000 or so, and just leave it bare wood, your neck will be a lot faster and less sticky feeling
Quote by BigCore1990
sand your neck with a very very high grit sand paper, 2000 or so, and just leave it bare wood, your neck will be a lot faster and less sticky feeling

It will be faster, but you'll have to deal with the possibility of it warping, (depends on the wood type), as well as getting dirty.
Quote by BigCore1990

not a good idea actually. It can lead to bad warpage of the neck. For a fast feel, you want satin mate. Even better is to only sand it to about 600, no polish. That way you can minimize stickieness.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 21, 2007,
On the guitar I'm building, I'm going to use a wenge neck, you don't need a finish on them.
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
whats a good brand of clearcoating that i'll be able to easily find at a home depot or a lowes? i like the sound of that wipe on stuff if anyone knows anything about that?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
i just used minwax wipe on poly (satin), not sure if it's a good idea or not, worked for me
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
Quote by ccatrackstar
whats a good brand of clearcoating that i'll be able to easily find at a home depot or a lowes? i like the sound of that wipe on stuff if anyone knows anything about that?

to be honest you could probably get away with whatever stuff they have in store. I doubt you can get much better stuff without a spray gun anyway. It's really more about how well you can prepare the surface and apply the finish.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."