I am going to buy a second guitar, which will be mostly in CGCFAD tuning. Does it matter how long the neck is? I was looking at a few guitars, some of which have 22 frets instead of 24. Their scale length was also different.

Does it matter?
WTLTL 2011
typically when tuning down to say B, it helps to have a stronger neck to support the heavier guaged strings. baritone guitars are designed liked this, however i know theres various guitarists who use a standard guitar for dropped tunings- breaking benjamin, chevelle, nickelback
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
i would say no, as i have both currently in that tuning. I would say it would be down to parts, as to how well it stays in tune. but thats just me, someone may think differently.
Live Fast Die Fun
I'd have thought you'd have been alright dropping to C, but any lower might put a lot of strain on the neck if you're using heavier strings. Basically anodetodrivebys has it spot on.
22 frets is generally 24-3/4" scale, and 24 is usually 25-1/2". not a huge difference, but you'll probly want AT LEAST 52 guage strings. if you get one with a 24-3/4" scale, mabey try for 54s, but it shouldnt really matter that much.

[edit]
forgot to say youll also have to make truss rod and bridge adjustments, but that goes without saying i guess...
peace
Member #20 of the Guitarists Born in 1991 Club PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Member Of The Anti - Ibanez Militia

Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...

Quote by -blaze-
anti-depressants for emo kids.

Last edited by KevP714 at Sep 21, 2007,
So that means the 25-1/2" would handle the string tension better, am I correct?
WTLTL 2011
si senor

thats yes sir in spanish.. haha
Member #20 of the Guitarists Born in 1991 Club PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Quote by d. b. cooper

Quote by -blaze-

muchos gracias hombre, I shall now scrap the 22 fret guitars off my "potential new guitars" list
WTLTL 2011
well, just scratch the length, because 22 frets can still possibly be a longer scale...

Quote by d. b. cooper

Quote by -blaze-

number of frets won't matter, but scale length will. if you're down-tuning, the longer the better. preferably 25.5" at least. EDIT: ^ yeah, plenty of 22 fret guitars are 25.5".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The scale length makes a difference. On longer scales, the same string would be stretched more so there would be more tension in the string. So for down-tuning, longer scales are better as you dont have to shift to thicker strings for the lower tunings.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
No you want something like 27" scale length for really low stuff(like A tuning) for B and standard, 25" or 24 3/4 is fine. the number of frets DO NOT DETERMINE THE SCALE LENGTH! the difference, fret wise, between the ones are that longer scale lengths have frets that are farther apart. There are guitars with a scale length of 25 and 27 that both have 24 frets or both have 22 frets. You need to look at scale length not the number of frets
Quote by British_Steal
No you want something like 27" scale length for really low stuff(like A tuning) for B and standard, 25" or 24 3/4 is fine. the number of frets DO NOT DETERMINE THE SCALE LENGTH! the difference, fret wise, between the ones are that longer scale lengths have frets that are farther apart. There are guitars with a scale length of 25 and 27 that both have 24 frets or both have 22 frets. You need to look at scale length not the number of frets

To elaborate, if the scale size is the same, a 22fret guitar will have marginially larger frets AFTER the 12th fret compared to a 24fret guitar.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
To elaborate, if the scale size is the same, a 22fret guitar will have marginially larger frets AFTER the 12th fret compared to a 24fret guitar.

why would that be?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
why would that be?

I would assume because there are fewer frets on a a neck of the same length?

I just realised that all the Ibanez 22 fret guitars have a 25.5 length neck, which is the same as most 24 fret guitars. But I will pay good attention to neck lengths, since I dont want me strings to get flabby with lower tunings. (even with proper string gauge)
WTLTL 2011
Quote by DagMX

you're not all too bright are you....
(EDIT: to dag) unless my brain's having a major malfunction, though, that doesn't make sense. The scale length is exactly what it says- the length of string required for the scale (or double that, or whatever way it's worked out; nomatter, it's the same principle)... i don't see how number of frets would affect that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
to all the guys above me, this is because the 12th fret must always be positioned at the exact middle of the scale length. So assuming the same scale length, the frets below 12 will always have the same size distribution(well in ideal cases, fanned frets excluded of course) whereas after the 12th fret, there will be more frets cramped into the same space.

Of course, this actually also means the neck must be the same size. You could move the bridge furthur from the neck to increase scale length, but then again the 12th fret would move along with the increase in scale length.

So to Cheames, I know my ****. 12th fret must always be at the half way point. This can usually be judged by where the first harmonic would be since by the laws of physics, it must be exactly half way between the moving parts of the string.

EDIT: change scale length to neck length for my post above. Sorry, but a litte distracted.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Sep 22, 2007,
that still doesn't make sense.

fret 23 and 24 will be closer together, obviously, but, say, fret 21 on both a 22- and 24-fret guitar will be the same size, assuming the same scale length, surely?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
fret 23 and 24 will be closer together, obviously, but, say, fret 21 on both a 22- and 24-fret guitar will be the same size, assuming the same scale length, surely?

I'll back you up on that. The only difference is that the neck pickup might be moved further, to accommodate the 24th fret.

Accordin' to StewMac's Fret Calculator...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 22, 2007,
yep. EDIT: ah sweet, you have the fret calculator too (that wasn't there when i entered this post!)- i guess that backs me up.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that still doesn't make sense.

well yes that is true in most cases(fanned frets exempt)

I think because I'm really distracted I got my neck scale and scale length interchanged. I meant to say similiar neck size.

So sorry if I sounded obnoxious, but human error:P

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
no problem, you had me confused for a while too!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?