I'm learning pinch harmonics and now I can get a "clean" harmonic most of the time. However the volume is incredibly low, about half of the regular volume (which is REALLY LOUD). I can hear it fine it just I can't get the real screaming sound (like somone trying to kill a cat ) Whenever I try I end up with either crap or something similar but with way too little volume.

I'm using a home-built guitar of unknown quality (got it from a professional guitarist in the family) and I'm using a lousy Samick amp (maybe 6-8"). I'm also not a good guitarist. So my question is:

Who's fault is it? (me, guitar, amp)

Or do we all suck too much?
Quote by riwa
I'm learning pinch harmonics and now I can get a "clean" harmonic most of the time. However the volume is incredibly low, about half of the regular volume (which is REALLY LOUD). I can hear it fine it just I can't get the real screaming sound (like somone trying to kill a cat ) Whenever I try I end up with either crap or something similar but with way too little volume.

I'm using a home-built guitar of unknown quality (got it from a professional guitarist in the family) and I'm using a lousy Samick amp (maybe 6-8"). I'm also not a good guitarist. So my question is:

Who's fault is it? (me, guitar, amp)

Or do we all suck too much?

Try turning up your gain, using your bridge humbucker, and moving your thumb a very very very little bit away from the top of your picK.

Good luck with it

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

hmm, one way to find out would be to go to a music store, plug in an expensive guitar to an expensive, high gain amp, and see if the problem dissapears, let me know
Try turning up your gain, using your bridge humbucker, and moving your thumb a very very very little bit away from the top of your picK.

I have both gain almost on max and am using my humbucker. Do you mean the top or the tip??

__ <-- TOP
/ \
\ D /
\ /
V <--- TIP
how are you making a pinchy? cuz i used to do it with my middle finger or pinky and it just wasnt good enough, then i switched to thumb now its ****ing screaming... so consider that... or just add loads of distortion
Well I really just wanted to know IF guitar and amp matters for harmonics. Gotta know if I should spend my money on guitar lessons, guitars, amplifiers or all of it..
SheKILaDZE: I am making it with the thumb. I pick and then do a small turn with my wrist (like unlocking a door almost or digging a hole in the strings). I checked some videos and I'm quite certain that I have the right but a flawed technique (it looks and sound like it should). It just doesn't sound enough..
Quote by riwa
SheKILaDZE: I am making it with the thumb. I pick and then do a small turn with my wrist (like unlocking a door almost or digging a hole in the strings). I checked some videos and I'm quite certain that I have the right but a flawed technique (it looks and sound like it should). It just doesn't sound enough..

just keep practicing maybe itl come naturally after a while. and do test it out on different amps.
Hmm. Just noticed. I think I had my thumb slightly resting on the string right before and til right after I hit the string.

I just tried moving the pick away from the string a little bit (to hit the string slightly from above) and to "fly by" afterwards with the thumb to touch it. I think it produced a louder sound but since I "dive" a little from above I must dive a bit upwards afterwards to hit a string again. Is this the "right" way?
I had similar trouble with pinch harmonics when I was learning them. My practice amp has a ridiculous amount of gain, but would not amplify my pinch harmonics right. But through my Digitech multiple effects box, I get loud piercing squeals every time. Definitely go to a store and give some different amps and guitars a try.

And on any equipment they are almost silent at any pickup other than the bridge.
Last edited by The Atomic Ass at Sep 21, 2007,
Pick in different places. You might not be hitting strong harmonic nodes.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Listen to this guy, he knows.

To expand a bit, the "nodes" he is talking about are sweet spots on the string that ring out especially clearly and scream. Try moving the point at which you strike the string up or down, just keep trying different points and you'll find a node. Don't bother asking roughly where they are either, its different for every guitar.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Bingo, there are certain spots that produce harmonics different intervals above the original note. If you are hitting between the spots, you won't get a scream.
Yeah, I know about the "spots" and how harmonics work. But I,ve gotten the hang of it now. Get some decent sound now