Hey guys,

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio. A few months back I had it fitted with some GHS Zakk Wylde Boomer strings, with a whopping 10-60 gauge. Recently I went back to normal 10's, and my D string is giving off a weird sound and I have a feeling it's because of the nut, which had to be filed to make room for the thicker strings.

Now, I've heard that there are all kinds of nuts: bone, plastic, graphite, etc. I have no idea which one is right for me!
Can anybody recommend a perfect nut for me? One that keeps tune better would definitely be a plus.

Thanks in advance!
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
im in the same predicument cept mine snaed. hopfully someone knows what type of nut is good besides peanuts ^_^
Graphite works well if you have a tremolo system as it keeps in tune better with tremolos. Bone is the old tired and true method. A bone nut might be best for your guitar unless you just want a graphite nut. Not sure how well it works with keeping tune without a tremolo.

A tusq nut is used by alot of guitar makers, and the slip-stone nut from stewmac says that it is good for string bending as it allows them to return to tone better. The only problem with the slip-stone is that they do not sell them pre-slotted. You'd have to take it to a guitar tech or other repair shop if you do not have the proper tools ot shape and slot it. I'd say Bone or tusq if your looking pre-slotted. Slip-stone if your willing to slot it yourself or have it slotted for you.

Vintage Bone: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Vintage_Bone_Nuts.html

Tusq
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Tusq_Nuts.html

Slip-stone
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Slip-Stone_Nuts.html.

And Graphite
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Graph_Tech_Nuts.html
Last edited by XgamerGt04 at Sep 21, 2007,
Thanks for the informative reply man. I'm planning to take it to a technician anyway so slotted/unslotted doesn't really make a difference to me.

Again, thanks!
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by WickedBeast666
im in the same predicument cept mine snaed. hopfully someone knows what type of nut is good besides peanuts ^_^

Peanuts aren't really nuts. They're in the same classification as peas. Legumes as they are properly called.

I'd go for a graphite nut.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
Peanuts aren't really nuts. They're in the same classification as peas. Legumes as they are properly called.

I'd go for a graphite nut.

This I know. lol, but I had to say it, cuz I didn't feel like typing to much with my On Screen keyboard lol
Quote by Cofflecakes
I'd say earvana compensating. Bit extra, but its worth it.

Holy crap, $35 for a nut. Can anybody give me a proper justification for that price? Is it just some kind of gimmick or does this nut really make a difference? If it does, what kind of difference?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
I couldn't justify spending that much on a guitar nut unless it was absolutely perfect. I've heard good things about it, but i've also heard people complain that it can dampen the sound somewhat. I would still go with a graph-tech or a slip-stone nut. The earvana will also come unslotted so you will have to have a pay a guitar-tech to slot it for you.

The earvana nut supposedly allows you to have a guitar that stays perfectly in tune. According to what i have read, many guitars can be tuned to perfectly, but the different frets are going to be slightly sharp or flat because of errors with the instrument. If you can pick these up and they bother you then this nut may be for you, but i still can't justify $35 for it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Not true, the Earvanas are slotted. I had one once.

Thats a surprise to me then. I was sure i read that they came unslotted, but are they really worth all of that money?
Quote by forsaknazrael
It was okay. I really liked having my open chords in tune. My style has changed since then, so I'm going to buy one of their Gibson OEM nuts, and see how I like it. I wasn't satisfied with the two part retrofit one.

Can you please link me to the exact nut I need, slotted? According to Gibson's website, the stock nut width is 1 11/16".
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Bone are nice, I would try to steer away from plastic, because I don't think they last as long, so you'd shortly be in the same predicament. I think graphite are nice too. I was unable to find a bone nut, so I had to get a bone blank, and file down the piece of bone. Make sure you don't superglue the new nut on though, or you'll have a REALLY hard time getting it off. Use Elmer's glue, because it's water solulent(or however its said or spelled) anyway, put a couple drops of water on it and it'll come off smoothly.
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like
For the Earvana?
https://www.earvana.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=50&osCsid=5e9530332dd225fe7a39e93f426d8e02
You'll have to tell me how you like it.

Do you do Chuck Berry-ish/Jimi Hendrix style bends? Like so:

e-|-------------5------------------------------------------------------|
B-|----------5----------5--5---------5--5--------5--5-----------5--5---|
G-|-7^(9)---------7^(9)-------7^(9)--------7^(9)---------7^(9)---------|
D-|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
A-|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
E-|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
Quote by forsaknazrael
For the Earvana?
https://www.earvana.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=50&osCsid=5e9530332dd225fe7a39e93f426d8e02
You'll have to tell me how you like it.

Do you do Chuck Berry-ish/Jimi Hendrix style bends? Like so:

e-|-------------5------------------------------------------------------|
B-|----------5----------5--5---------5--5--------5--5-----------5--5---|
G-|-7^(9)---------7^(9)-------7^(9)--------7^(9)---------7^(9)---------|
D-|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
A-|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
E-|--------------------------------------------------------------------|

Yeah thanks, I saw that item, there was just no info in it like on the other items, and there's no color choice either.
Do you have any idea what the differences are between the retrofit nut, Gibson style 1-11/16" dropin shelf nut and Gibson Style Nut?

About the Chuck Berry-ish bends, hell yeah, I do a ton of those. :P
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
So the shelf nut is my best bet?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Thanks a lot for all the help bro. I'm gonna get the green light from my technician (I manage a guitar store, so I get all the work on my guitar done for free) on the nut, and then I'll make the purchase. I'll update this thread once everything is sorted out.

Thanks again!
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by Pleiadian
Holy crap, $35 for a nut. Can anybody give me a proper justification for that price? Is it just some kind of gimmick or does this nut really make a difference? If it does, what kind of difference?

Think that's expensive? Try Buzz Feiten.

Suggested retail price to retrofit your electric guitar or bass is only $139.00