Many have probably heard of Jamie, if not go here: www.guitarprinciples.com

A few weeks ago in the GP Newsletter it mentioned Jamie was now doing Webcam
1 on 1 lessons. I thought that sounded like it was worth a try so I arranged an
hour webcam with her. I just thought I'd post a quick impression as I had the lesson
a few days ago. Someone else may be interested....

First off, we needed to do some tests of the connection. At home I have DSL and
that proved to be insuffucient bandwidth to do a web lesson (YMMV). Fortunately,
my backup plan to do it at work where there's a T1 connection, worked out. Jamie
was very patient through the testing and working out the kinks.

Prior to the lesson, I sent her a short, 3 min video of me playing (at her request).
When the lesson started Jamie said my playing all looked good and couldn't see
any major tension problems (whew!).

To put the whole thing in a nutshell: Jamie had me run through some "diagnostic"
scale exercises and quickly zero'd in on area(s) where I really needed some focus
and some practice techniques to help with them.

I'd have to say, I'm not a slouch when it comes to practicing, but after a few days
working on what we went over, Jamie was really spot on and it really opened my
awareness to some basic stuff I was missing in practicing.

Overall a very worthwhile experience and Jamie was very enjoyable to work with.
I'm probably going to continue on a regular (like 1 per month) basis.
^ im now interested, how much were these webcam lessons? i don't have a webcam at work but i'd gladly spend the $30 on one and bring it up here after hours if i don't have to shell out an arm and a leg (i have a connection @ home but its the slowest form of dsl at&t offers so i prolly couldn't do it at home)
I have the same DSL. It sucks, but it was all that was available at the time.

Well, Jamie ain't cheap. I think the minimum is $120 for 20 minutes or $135 for
30 minutes. Try a short one and see if its worth it to you. I thought it was just
to have a set of experienced eyeballs looking at what I was doing.

What she had me do was run through some scales from slow to moderate BPMs
and hit the beat EXACTLY. It turned out that I was frequently a bit ahead or
just off and its harder than you think. It just wasn't something in my practice
awareness. Now that it is, I can see how not practicing hitting the beat exactly
will result in not being able to play as fast. Plus, I usually use a drum machine and
that just doesn't cut it. You really need a metronome to judge precision.

Anyway, I thought it was well worth what I got out. If you sign up for one, tell
her I sent you! Maybe I'll get a break on my next session -- at those rates it helps!
^ jesus christ!!! that definately is not cheap. i might just see if i can get some lessons around here from some "pro" musicians first, that might be a last ditch thing at $135 for 30 minutes
Well lets look at it:

If you're looking at the cost per unit time, then that's $2 per minute. Yeah that seems
really expensive. But do you really care about "unit time"? I don't. What I care
about is "valuable insights to my playing" per unit time.

I'd say, to be conservative, I got at least 2 valuable insights (and probably a number
of other things that will result from that) during my hour. So that's about
$135 per insight.

Is that expensive?

I don't know. I do know I took lessons from a "pro" for a long time and
compared to that, this was a real bargain. If you're lucky and can find a good
teacher, it will likely be much less than this.
Thats incredibly expensive. If you got something out of it, and feel its worth what you paid, then thats great.
Id be interested in hearing a before and after... like how did the lesson affect your playing.

what kinds of things did she tell you to work on.
I mentioned what we worked on above in a reply to z4twenny.

I don't know that it's something you could do a before/after for. It was more
opening my awareness to something I was a bit fuzzy on. Namely hitting a beat
exactly when I want to. Not a little before or after. That, in turn, has a
cascading effect on being able to play easily at higher speeds.
I think taking a half hour lesson with Chris Broderick once a week for $25 is a way better deal. He's a master, but, that's just me.
Quote by edg
Well lets look at it:

If you're looking at the cost per unit time, then that's $2 per minute. Yeah that seems
really expensive. But do you really care about "unit time"? I don't. What I care
about is "valuable insights to my playing" per unit time.

I'd say, to be conservative, I got at least 2 valuable insights (and probably a number
of other things that will result from that) during my hour. So that's about
$135 per insight.

Is that expensive?

I don't know. I do know I took lessons from a "pro" for a long time and
compared to that, this was a real bargain. If you're lucky and can find a good
teacher, it will likely be much less than this.

Considering the average teacher is $20-$40 an hour, I'd say you got ripped off big.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
/has lessons from an awesome teacher(insideac can back me up) and only pays 18$

seriously, thats way too much man...
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
^ i think these guys are being a bit harsh. but i will say that yes, to me $135 for an insight is a bit expensive.($135 is a full 8 hour day at work, before taxes) i'm going to try a good pro local teacher. if that doesn't offer the results im looking for then it will be worth it to try her out. if you find it to be money well spent and worth it to you then thats all that matters.
Yeah, I understand its expensive to a number of you. Especially if you're still in
school. Also, I've been working a while. It's not that much for me.

Plus consider between piano and guitar I've got 40 years music background. It's
likely what I'd need for a teacher is going to be a lot different than someone who's
just been playing a few years.

Since I started playing again, I probably got myself from the intermediate to advanced
level on my own. Now I need some help going from advanced to mastery. It's
a different ballgame. In a wierd way, getting to mastery requires a lot of going
back to the very beginning basics.
Rip off I seriously doubt satriani made steve via pay that much for lessons lol. I dont know how those people have the balls to do that.. jesus
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Quote by synth002
Rip off I seriously doubt satriani made steve via pay that much for lessons lol. I dont know how those people have the balls to do that.. jesus

Im pretty sure Satch charged about 150/hour, or something. I think it was 350/hr. Either way, it was certainly more than Jamie. And it wasnt just for Steve Vai, it was for Kirk and the dude from Testament and everyone else.
Quote by insideac
Im pretty sure Satch charged about 150/hour, or something. I think it was 350/hr. Either way, it was certainly more than Jamie. And it wasnt just for Steve Vai, it was for Kirk and the dude from Testament and everyone else.

Do you have any documentation on this? Vai took lessons from Satriani in 74, when he was unknown. I doubt very much that he charged that much for lessons at the time. (I could be wrong but I would like to see some documentation on it)

Anyway your worth what people are willing to pay you for it.
If edg feels like he got his moneys worth, what could be wrong with that?
could he have learned the same thing for $20? or even for free? Maybe, but sometimes hearing it from someone you highly respect is worth the price, and makes the points stick that much more.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 25, 2007,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Do you have any documentation on this? Vai took lessons from Satriani in 74, when he was unknown. I doubt very much that he charged that much for lessons at the time. (I could be wrong but I would like to see some documentation on it)

Jamies pretty unknown too (I think). Also, Satch studied with some really good musicians so that basically allowed him to charge alot and it was justified. And im not saying Jamie isnt worth it, I was just replying to the dude that thought it was alot of money.
Quote by insideac
Jamies pretty unknown too (I think). Also, Satch studied with some really good musicians so that basically allowed him to charge alot and it was justified. And im not saying Jamie isnt worth it, I was just replying to the dude that thought it was alot of money.

yeah thats cool. I still want to see some quote or some kind of proof about the satch thing.
Now that you've brought it up im interested to know the facts on it.

as far as her status.... becuase of the internet, and her books, I would bet that she is more well known now, than Satriani was in 74.
Quote by GuitarMunky

yeah, Satch was in highschool when he was giving lessons to Vai (I think it was something like $10 that he split with his friend, he's mentioned in some interviews). By the time he moved to LA Vai was already working on transcribing stuff for Zappa
no idea about Skolnick, though I heard somewhere that Hammet came to him a lot later (when Metallica was already established and going?)

can't help you with lessons otherwise, as I'm the entire self-taught guitarist thing (the internet is amaaaazing). If you took them and were satisfied then
wow this post started out as an experience that someone had with positive concequences, now its turned into money talk....

wow, human nature at its best....
Quote by funkylebafin
wow this post started out as an experience that someone had with positive concequences, now its turned into money talk....

wow, human nature at its best....

Welcome to the UG forums.