I've been playing guitar for about six years now and I've just taken up the saxaphone.

Already I have a great feeling I'm going to enjoy the sax, however I'm worried that I might affect my guitar playing. On the one side it should push me on - I'll be forced to study notation far more and I be able to record layers to develop my ideas (I'm the guitarist in a funk band and I should find writting brass parts easier) however.

On the other hand, it means less practice time, more compitition, less attention paid to the guitarists I study, less grade work and so on.

Hopefully it's a case of spending the time you have wisely - only recently have I truely appreciated the importance of theory, for example.

Can anyone vouch for this?
playing sax will be absolutely great for your guitar lead playing!
and very good for your notation/theory etc. too
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
growing musically is just as important as growing technically,it would improve your phrasing and melodic understanding,plus you really enjoy it,so
go for it!
I can play 5-6 other instruments besides guitar and bass and none of them have hurt my playing. Every instrument you add helps.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
By all means, do it. I can pretty much play any instrument you put in front of me, and that's helped tremendously to grow as a musician.
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

Personally guitar was my secondary instrument to the trumpet and it's my time spent playing other instruments that seems to compliment my trumpet playing ability the most. It'll give you a whole new perspective on the guitar, don't worry about it hampering your technical ability in any way.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
I agree, go for it.

Guitar was always my first instrument, but I learned sax in school, along with everything else I could get my hands on. I can play just about anything you put in front of me too, and I can't think of a single thing I would change about that. Maybe work on a couple of them a bit more years ago...If you're inclined to do so, by all means learn every instrument you can. Just for starters, I play guitar, bass, drums, some keyboards, sax, a little flute, tinker with a xylophone and a recorder now and then...

Paul McCartney has recorded songs completely by himself, "Maybe I'm Amazed" for example. Same for Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, Tommy James, Mike Olfield, Joe Walsh I think, Don Henley I'm pretty sure, plenty others. Pete Townshend did everything but the vocals on one cut from "Who Are You", and others...

Learning other instruments was never anything but good for me...or them...or you...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Playing the saxaphone will enable you to pla the clarinet aswell :p and would also help you learn wood wind stuff
Aww, if I were to learn another instrument it would be the sax, but I just dont have time, and theyre pretty expensive and hard to come by.

Anyway, I think that after six years of playing guitar, you will be doing some good in giving your fingers and mind a bit of a change of setting. Seriously, it will make your fingers and rhythmic values much more adept if you can acclimatise to two different instruments.

In other words, go for it.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.