ok, well i just went and bought a longer ethernet cable (the one provided wasnt long enough.)
problem is, what the heck do i do now? i plugged in one side of my ethernet cable in the back of my xbox 360, ran it along the wall, got to my surfboard sb4100 cable modem, and.... theres only one ethernet jack on it that is running to my computer. what the heck do i do now?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

You need a router.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
A router may the only solution. You could also waste a load of money on wireless components.
Pull your PC out and plug the Xbox in instead? It should be plug and play with Ethernet.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
Pull your PC out and plug the Xbox in instead? It should be plug and play with Ethernet.

can i do that and safely just keep switching it out everytime?

also, im a complete computer noob, so what exactly is a router and what do you use it for?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by marvelboy_04
can i do that and safely just keep switching it out everytime?

Yeah, should be able to, although I'm not guaranteeing it will work; you may need a router.

also, im a complete computer noob, so what exactly is a router and what do you use it for?

A router is the gateway on your network to other networks. Basically, it routes all devices on the network to an internet connection.

or, you coudl shared the internet connection on the PC, thats howI used to do it on my old xbox live-til i got router that is
Quote by Mark-O1987666
or, you coudl shared the internet connection on the PC, thats howI used to do it on my old xbox live-til i got router that is

how would i do that?
and drewcifer, youre right, thats why im trying to go ahead and figure this out.
and darnit! the routers like 30 bucks(i just spent 20 dollars on a longer ethernet cable.)
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

anyone?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Let me tell you about woes. I bought my 360 last night, tried to run the ethernet cable through my laptop (connected to wireless internet). Took me 2+ hours wrong all because the Xbox got my DNS wrong. Should've only taken 5 minutes to fix. Oh well, Gears of War rules.
dang dude, that mustve sucked.
and you can run it through a laptop?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

now, is it true you get a month free of gold when you first setup?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

^ Yes, but not with the Core system.

i have premium
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99