I read a guide on this site about barre chords and it was really useful. I just want to make sure "I have this right"

So a barre chord is merely a "shape" on the fretboard which represents a chords type, like a major chord, minor chord, 9th's, 11th's. and stuff, correct da moondo? ;D

how many barre chord posistions are there? is there a chart of them somewhere?

I'm sure this is my next step to take.
I think there is a chart somewhere, or i have one. It is pretty much a shape, with a finger across the strings behind it. If u find a major/minor/7th chord from a song and look at the shape, its pretty much the same everywhere. The only difference is where the bass note is. An E chord is a major barre shape, but the bass note is ur open E. An Em is the minor barre shape. Look at Under the Bridge by RHCP's chords, and u might be able to figure out the barre chord shapes.
Are barre chord is simply an open chord shape moved up the neck - becasue the open strings don't move with the chord you need to drop your index finger in behind as a barre to basically act as a temporary capo, shifting the open strings up to the correct position so they fit with the fretted notes. That being the case, you can technically play any open chord as a barre chord, although in practice some are a lot fiddlier than others...open G is nigh on impossible to convert to a barred form, for example.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
really? o_O

thats strange because i found it really really eazy to keep the same G shape chord but barring it. And I find other chords to be hard. my pinky and my index can work together really well but my other two lack behind alot, I guess thats the only expination.

i'm not saying i can do it fast, but it is probably the fastest barr chord i can do. Is there something i'm doing wrong because of this?
Then you have some mental, freak-ass hands.

Come to thing of it, it's not actually all that hard...I just never really bothered trying it before
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Are barre chord is simply an open chord shape moved up the neck - becasue the open strings don't move with the chord you need to drop your index finger in behind as a barre to basically act as a temporary capo, shifting the open strings up to the correct position so they fit with the fretted notes. That being the case, you can technically play any open chord as a barre chord, although in practice some are a lot fiddlier than others...open G is nigh on impossible to convert to a barred form, for example.

I find it quite easy, Id never use it in a song though. What i do like is moving the C shape around, gives a nice sound.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

I have a question about barre-chords: are they important to learn? I was told by a guy at school to learn my scales and to start playing with barre-chords. I always thought they weren't as important as your other basic skills and shouldn't start on them yet.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
They're very important - from a musical point of view they make working songs out a lot easier and they also allow you to play chords in different places, sometimes it's awkward to get to an open chord from where you've been playing. They also opn up your options when paying rhythm parts. From a technical point of view barreing is an essential technique to master as it has numerous uses in general playing. However, I wouldn't attempt them from the off, wait until you've built a bit of finger strength up by practicing open chords first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc