Hey guys I'm back from my ban did you miss me??

this thread also has a point though..I have been playing around with a number of different tones with my amp and ones on my pedals and such and this is what I find for me..

classic rock tones are a heck of a lot harder to solo with does anybody else think this as well? not that I'm saying classic rock tones are bad they rock! they are nice and loud and you can hear clear chords through them but I find there is very little sustain on them and my fingers are smaller and not too muscular I find it hard to get a good bending sound.

But when I play with a metal distortion the sustain is very good and the bends are more clear and it just seems easier to play with.

does anybody agree? disagree?

and btw this isn't a vs. thread both are great for what they are made for so there is no point saying one is better.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
I agree. I'm not too fond of distortion to begin with, I only use it on a few songs, really, and never throughout whole songs. But usually when I go for the shreddy type solo, I have a more metal type setting for them. When I'm going to play the chords, I use much less.

Now, what's your point?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I just wanted to see If I'm the only one who thinks this because a lot of people like those tones and I don't know if they ever tried soloing with them or what they do when they want to solo.

but it could be my weak fingers.
My favorite type of distortion is somewhere between classic rock and metal.

I like a heavier sound than the average classic rock tone, with plenty of gain and low end. But I don't want a metal tone. I like stuff with more midrange to it. I'd rather have something that hits you like a ton of bricks than something that stabs you with its sharpness.

Like on Motorhead's album "Kiss of Death"

I tend to solo with a more rock tone, by the way. I'm just used to it. I've never managed to get a good fluid metal tone. I have a pretty strong attack to my sound.
I like cleaner rock tones.. They sound kick ass IMO.

I don't have the same problem as you though. What you need is to run through an overdrive pedal instead over distortion. Some people don't see a difference but i do. That's how i usually accomplish AC/DC style solos on my amps clean channel.
Quote by Shredder6
I just wanted to see If I'm the only one who thinks this because a lot of people like those tones and I don't know if they ever tried soloing with them or what they do when they want to solo.

but it could be my weak fingers.

I like playing leads with the uhh.. Classic Rock type of distortion. But when it comes to the solo, I like to kick it up so I can cut through. That's MY time to shine.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Distortion's overrated. Natural gain from a really loud clean channel really gets the job down, an old fuzz pedal works well too.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I like playing leads with the uhh.. Classic Rock type of distortion. But when it comes to the solo, I like to kick it up so I can cut through. That's MY time to shine.

lead boost FTW
Quote by Sloopy
Distortion's overrated. Natural gain from a really loud clean channel really gets the job down, an old fuzz pedal works well too.

Note that an old fuzz pedal is also a distortion unit.

But natural gain kicks ass. I don't like distortion pedals. I have some sort of problem with them. I refuse to use them. All my gain comes from teh amp.
Quote by Sloopy

I don't particularly like the sound of fuzz pedals on the higher strings. Mainly the only time I use a fuzz tone is for a particular riff I have that reminds me of clowns. I also use a chorus on it, and it makes it sound REAL nice.

But I prefer to keep fuzz pedals off for the most part, since I don't like the sound of them on solos.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by sashki
Note that an old fuzz pedal is also a distortion unit.

But natural gain kicks ass. I don't like distortion pedals. I have some sort of problem with them. I refuse to use them. All my gain comes from teh amp.

I agree
Yeah come to think of it I can see why you guys maybe aren't so into fuzzes for soloing, I play rhythm mostly so they come in handy.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Sloopy
Yeah come to think of it I can see why you guys maybe aren't so into fuzzes for soloing, I play rhythm mostly so they come in handy.

Like I said, that's when I use the fuzz, for more rhythmic things, which in this case is only one song. I wouldn't mind using them for leads, if I was playing leads on the lower strings, it does sound good in that instance. Also, I use a Gibson SG, and it may just be the humbuckers I don't like for fuzz.. I've never tried a single coil pick up with them. That might sound cooler.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by sashki
Fuzzes are good for soloing, actually. Like Big Muffs

And I play rhythm all the time

I didn't like the sound on mine for solos, excluding bluesier type things. That's fine. I still think I should try a single coil for the Big Muff.
Quote by vintage x metal