Pink Floyd The Wall, what is the meaning behind it? Because it's like the world's biggest metaphor. I know it's about Syd Barrett, but thats about it.
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like
Lol @ Parental lock.

But another brick in the wall means that even though you beleive your authority makes you better than everyone else, your just another brick in a wall which contains many bricks.
Quote by RentACar
Lol @ Parental lock.

But another brick in the wall means that even though you beleive your authority makes you better than everyone else, your just another brick in a wall which contains many bricks.

^^ Best analysis I've heard so far.

It basically means, to me, that everyone is equal, just like the bricks of a wall are equal, and that materialistic things such as wealth make you no better than the hobo down the street..

Or maybe its just about a wall.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by AvengedThrice

It basically means, to me, that everyone is equal, just like the bricks of a wall are equal, and that materialistic things such as wealth make you no better than the hobo down the street..

Or maybe its just about a wall.

I came to know the meaning as, the bricks being the many problems that lead to a person being completely shut off from the outside world. The problems just build up till you're completely out of touch, like Syd Barret became.
First of all its very subjective. Personally, I've always thought it to be about social withdrawal and how it can distort someone's perspective of the planet, lead to drug abuse and prejudices.

Figure it out for yourself! If you don't get it, then you sat around and listened to an amazing album a bunch.

EDIT: About the Berlin Wall, it doesn't really relate, only in an indirect way. You could justify that the Berlin wall is the result of intolerance/fear similar to that which Roger Water's is warning about in the album.

Also, Water's played the album there live in like '86 or something.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Sep 21, 2007,
It could very well mean that the bottom bricks support the top ones, and the highest ones contribute the least to the strength of the wall, even though they're at the top. Now think, average people vs celebrities/politicians.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
The story is (in a very condensed version) that the main character "pink" basically gets depressed and begins building a wall in his head. Then he he gets happy and stops. Then **** happens, and he starts building it again untill he completely closes himself off.
It's the story of a guy called Pink, who feels paranoid and lonely, and builds a wall to isolate himself from the outside world. His protective mother helps him.

Something like that.
Quote by jaggerbush320
Pink Floyd The Wall, what is the meaning behind it? Because it's like the world's biggest metaphor. I know it's about Syd Barrett, but thats about it.

Its not really got much to do with Syd, other than a few lines in songs such as Nobody Home.
The actual story tells of how Pink is going through an emotional breakdown caused by certain life events (his fathers death, school experiences, wife cheating on him etc.).
These events are all his "bricks" and he builds his wall inside his head, shutting himself away from the world that has been so cruel to him.
He wants to break free after a while though, but cant do it until he finally snaps and develops his alter-ego of the Nazi guy.
Eventually he breaks free, after "the trial" which takes place in his head.
However we are not told how he manages to break down the wall (suicide, help etc.)

I dont want to get into all the subtexts and stuff because it would take all night, but that is just a plain analysis of the plotline.
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
TS DOESN'T want the STORY, he wants the MEANING.

Everyone has their own Wall, man.
And everyone has their own meaning of it.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
There are a LOT of meanings behind it. To say that this album is pure genius would be an understatement.
Remember when you were young
You shone like the sun...
Quote by PastaOfMuppets
Its not really got much to do with Syd, other than a few lines in songs such as Nobody Home.
The actual story tells of how Pink is going through an emotional breakdown caused by certain life events (his fathers death, school experiences, wife cheating on him etc.).
These events are all his "bricks" and he builds his wall inside his head, shutting himself away from the world that has been so cruel to him.
He wants to break free after a while though, but cant do it until he finally snaps and develops his alter-ego of the Nazi guy.
Eventually he breaks free, after "the trial" which takes place in his head.
However we are not told how he manages to break down the wall (suicide, help etc.)

I dont want to get into all the subtexts and stuff because it would take all night, but that is just a plain analysis of the plotline.

Sorry dude, phail. He wanted the meaning, not the story.
Quote by Ez0ph

He knows me well..
Quote by AvengedThrice
Sorry dude, phail. He wanted the meaning, not the story.

Wouldn't it be easier for him to find his own meaning once he knows the story?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

The meaning of the Wall?

That Pink Floyd cannot write a decent song
Last edited by slayer1516 at Sep 21, 2007,
Quote by bodyheatseeker
Wouldn't it be easier for him to find his own meaning once he knows the story?

Maybe so, but still, he only asked for the meaning, so I presume he may have already read up on the story...?
Quote by Ez0ph

He knows me well..
Quote by slayer1516
The meaning of the Wall?

That Pink Floyd cannot wrote a decent somg

At least they have deeper songs than Slayer.

Slayer example = "KILL, GUT BABIES!!! GAS JEWS!!"
Pink Floyd example = too deep for words.
Quote by Ez0ph

He knows me well..
psht, you people don't know anything....

The wall's about Roger Water's anger at the world for not letting him eat his pudding before finishing his meat. therefore he began building a wall. and...yeah. he hates all the people keeping his crazy pudding dreams oppressed.
I always thought the meaning of The Wall was:

*puff*puff*

"Duuuuuuuuuuude, thats freakin heavy."
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by slayer1516
The meaning of the Wall?

That Pink Floyd cannot wrote a decent somg

Yes they can "wrote" a decent "somg" and they "has".

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Yes they can "wrote" a decent "somg" and they "has".

Far better somgs than Slayer could ever dream of wroting.
Quote by European Son
Far better somgs than Slayer could ever dream of wroting.

That are trues.

Quote by AvengedThrice

Isn't it more negative/angry than that? I'm not really a fan, but I always took it to mean that you can't change anything, you;re bound to just become part of the establishment. Looking at the band and its career, it's probably true
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
The Wall is not about Syd Barrett, that is a common misconception. It's about Roger Waters. The main theme is that if you let all the bad stuff effect you negatively and you start to build up an emotional Wall around yourself, you'll be just what you wanted...alone... and that is the worst feeling of all.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
The Wall is not about Syd Barrett, that is a common misconception. It's about Roger Waters. The main theme is that if you let all the bad stuff effect you negatively and you start to build up an emotional Wall around yourself, you'll be just what you wanted...alone... and that is the worst feeling of all.

+1

The inspiration for the album and movie was that Roger Waters spit in a fans face, and he was so ashamed that he built up an emotional wall. The album is basically a grandiose version of his story.
Dickless.
I heard it was about David Gilmour's life in post-war world II war tore England, and how he grew up to become a rockstar. But that's just what I heard.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
what ive heard is that its based primarily on experiences of syd barret, and roger waters. the character "pink" is a representation of Roger Waters. the wall is about him getting screwed over in life constantly so he builds up a mental wall to keep others out. the actual term "another brick in the wall" is him refering to a person or experience as just another brick in his mental wall. so he is building the wall out of past experiences. throughout the story he builds the wall, and then realises he is lonely behind it and in the end tears it down. theres a lot more, but im too lazy to type it up. just search it on google. might be some analysis or something.
Ya pimpslap pretty much hits the nail on the head. There is a lot more, but all the symbolism and stuff would fill a book.

The moral of the story is that shutting yourself off from the outside world won't solve your problems, but will probably make them worse.
I'm not a PF expert, but from what I understand the meaning of the songs "Another Brick in The Wall" pt. 1/2 are that this man is going insane and that all these different people and events are just adding to it. From what I've heard from some PF fan friends of mine its about a guy that basically builds an emotional wall, blocking out all outside people, driving him to delirium. In the end he tears down the wall and really goes insane.

Something like that.
I never really think about the meaning but I guess its about how we all deal with problems in life differently and that some things (like isolation) arent good.

I dont know but thats what I think.