I'm trying to write 7 songs, one for each of the 7 Deadly Sins (Pride, Wrath, Lust, Envy, Gluttony, Greed and Sloth). Each will be a different genre of rock. It's a challenge, it'll take a long time to perfect so I'm starting now.

The first song I decided to do is "Lust" which I paired with Beach Boys style Surf Rock, in a bit of humor based on how so many of their songs are about "Pretty Girls". However, I need tips on writing Beach Boys-esque love songs. Any tips? I'm trying to find some of them on Youtube to get a feel but right now some actual techniques, scales and common chords would be really helpful.
Last edited by TheIceCreamMan at Sep 21, 2007,
anything in a 3-chord major progression works for a poppy song like the Beach Boys. When u say Surf Rock, i thought u meant like Los Straitjackets and Dick Dale type surf rock. Not Beach Boys. Anythig major key and poppy would work. As for scales, anything major would work, like maybe a Penatonic.

btw, Pride just screams Pop-Rap song, and wrath a Metal song.
Wrath was going to be a Metal song from the start.

Thanks for the suggestion on Pride, that and Gluttony are the two I'm stuck on.

Lust - Beach Boys Pop-Surf
Wrath - Metal (Thrash, Death, Nu?)
Greed - Emo (Get the connection?)
Envy - Blues
Sloth - Psychadelic Progressive (Kind of a lazy style, although pretty hard to play)

Pride and Greed would make good for Rap, so Pop-Rap could work for Pride. Gluttony I'm lost.

Anyways, thanks for the help. I was reading for surf techniques and it was all Dick Dale style stuff (Which is good, just not what I'm looking for).
Make sure you use heavy reverb/chorus/delay.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
In the bassline make sure to do the Root 3'rd 5th kinda line---so like for G major::

E:---3------7--10
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String