I want to become neoclassical/technical metal style in my guitar playing. What do you recommend me to do? I have guitar pro and I have a scale book if that helps, etc.

Thank you
Listen to some classical-era music.
Listen to some metal music.
Listen to something you've never heard before.

Combine.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Harmonic Minor scale?

I'm not too sure but in the end whatever sounds good.

Maybe Malmsteen or Rhoads would help.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
learn your theory, listen to some artists of the genre, listen to some bach, mozart, vivaldi stufflike that
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Check out those sort of artists, such as Gilbert and Malmsteen etc etc and they have alot of stuff on youtube

Focus on the best way of playing with the lack of excess of movement, harmonic minor is Yngwie's fave scale pretty much

And LISTEN to what is going on in the music, also get listening to proper classical music, through guitar i've discovered that well performed classical music is some of the best music i have ever heard
Quote by hellbound_jonny
Harmonic Minor scale?

I'm not too sure but in the end whatever sounds good.

Maybe Malmsteen or Rhoads would help.

very true. malmsteen may be a dick, but we could learn alot from his playing.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
thanx (= for the replys i'll do all that but what should i practice I'm willing to practice 5 hours on weekdays and 8 hours + on weekends =D
ive never really seen rhoads as a guitarist of that type... but whatever floats your boat

check out jason becker and cacophony, symphony x is another good band to draw from
Quote by life_aquatic
thanx (= for the replys i'll do all that but what should i practice I'm willing to practice 5 hours on weekdays and 8 hours + on weekends =D

It's not about how long you're willing to practice, although the eagerness is good

Just make sure what you're practicing is relevant and that you have everything nailed, but as i have don't get to the point where you've stopped listening to music and got obsessed with technical skillz, i did as i mentioned and i lost all drive and became despaired, so yes i have now actually gone back to muscial roots

And have fun, that's what it's about

EDIT: ^^ Jason Becker and Cacophony are excellent bands to check out, it's a shame becker got struck with that disease
yeah imagine what becker woudl be if that never happened he would be like... unimaginable...
Pretty much copy every thing Yngwie Malmsteen and Cacophony ever did. Learn their songs and licks, because from the sound of most NC metal, thats all their guitarists did as well.
Quote by C.C. Deville
yeah imagine what becker woudl be if that never happened he would be like... unimaginable...

Although he could be godly the fact is [which you can get if you read all the religious stuff on his website] that he never got a proper technique for his speed picking [if you watch the vids, he does have an uglier picking style than marty friedman] and he said in like an interview that due to that he never got the speed accurate enough, and so he was phasing it out of his music anyway =/ And well chee, now he just composes jazz and stuff with his eye movements

It's still a great shame he got affected by this, and if he'd gone on with the metal, he'd certainly be a legend
Study Music theory, and work on your technique. Playing in the neo-classical style requires a high level of technique and understanding of the most important elements of classical music (technically its more Baroque than classical) such as: cadences, chord function, voice leading etc...

Also listen to the artists mentioned throughout this thread, and get a teacher who can play in this style and teach it to you!

Mike Philippov
As far as scales are concerned, you might want to venture into the exotic ones: Phrygian Dominant, Muhammdan (harmonic minor), Kumoi, etc.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
You can sound pretty classical with just a minor scale. It's not the scale you use, it's how you use it. Get Vivaldi's and Bach's works transcribed for guitar (you can get the tabs on this site). That'll help you figure it out.