So I'm American, and I'm in a play that takes place in London in 1908-1909, and deals heavily with economics. And we need to know how much a pound is worth back then.

So, does anyone know somewhere I can find out how much one 1908 pound is worth in 2007 US dollars? I know I have to take into account price shifts and inflation in addition to the exchange rates. Does anyone have any idea where to find this information?

Thanks.
Can't stop the signal.
plays dont have to be 100% historicaly acurate.. i mean look at shakespeare.... they didnt ACTUALY dress like that back then
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
plays dont have to be 100% historicaly acurate.. i mean look at shakespeare.... they didnt ACTUALY dress like that back then

Yes they did.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

I hope I detect sarcasm.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

No, they don't HAVE to be historically accurate. But it's nice if they are. The story revolves around a family who runs one of the most respected financial firms in London. The father has secretly been embezzling funds, and now the firm is in debt 300,000 pounds. We really do need to know how much 300,000 pounds was worth in 1908, so we can get the full scope of what the characters are going through, because right now, 300,000 pounds we know is a lot, but how much, really? A hundred thousand dollars? A million? Ten million? It makes a LOT of difference.
Can't stop the signal.
It's actually a bit lower than that;

Computing 'Real Value' Over Time With a Conversion Between U.K. Pounds and U.S. Dollars, 1830 - 2006
Send us feedback

The authors would like to find out why you are using this calculator and your impression of it. The link above will take you to a form where you can tell us the context of your question, what answer you are going to use and for what purpose. We thank you for your feedback.
Another Computation?

When using the CPI/RPI, the (average) value in 2006 of £300000 from 1907 is $31510907.45. The range of values is from $21606045.64 to $42436257.22. This answer is better if the subject is a consumer good or something else of interest to an individual.

When using the GDP deflator, the (average) value in 2006 of £300000 from 1907 is $31380872.34. The range of values is from $21900196.86 to $50757372.71. This answer is better if the subject is a capital investment or government expenditure

The bit in bold is the bit you want.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Sep 21, 2007,
I found a site that says 300,000 pounds is $31,102,108.44. I'm using that for the exchange rates.

Thanks a bunch for all your help, Pit. You done good. If any of you are in the Los Angeles area and are interested in seeing the show (it's a USC School of Theatre production), message me and I'll give you show information.

It's called "The Voysey Inheritance," by the way.

Thanks again, all.
Can't stop the signal.
hah.. i always liked to think that they dressed like that only in the shakespear movies to keep your attention