Currently after selling some crap on ebay I should have about 500$... and my plan was to buy a B-52. But ive been browsing through local craigslist and havnt really found anything... but I decided to try a craigslist in my state, but an hour away...

And I found a Mesa Boogie .50 Cal+ Combo Amplifier for 550$, used of course, but he says its in great condition... Of course I would want to go down there and try it out, crank it up and make sure it was in working order... but im just curious to yalls thoughts. I usually only play hard rock and metal, which I heard mesa's do very well.. but ive never actually played one sadly...

Just curious about your inputs...
Basically new B-52 1x12 combo...
or a used Mesa Boogie .50 cal...

the mesa is only 50 watts, while the B-52 is 60, but I usually play in a dorm room, and occasionally go out with friends to mess around... and 50 is a lot more then I need for that... Anywayz what are your thoughts?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Well, I've had the opportunity to paly the Mesa .50 cal (My friend has one) and i wouldn't buy it. It's pretty good alone but if you want a good rock tone, you'll need to run it through a distortion pedal or something else.

The louder it gets, that crappier the sound is.

I'd take a look at peavys JSX series. I tried out one of the smaller combo amp at GC and was thoroughly impressed. Good drive, nice effects, and the footswitch is smooth.

They are a bit excessive price-wise, so if you'd like... check out other peavy amps. Every one that i've played has really impressed me.
the only peavey I really like is the valveking 112, but I like the gain on the B-52 better. I did take a look at the JSX series, but thats about 3x outa my budget. Haha.

But you told me exactly what I wanted to hear. My deville that I bought used from the GC has some problems with it, so I guess I do wanna get something thats brand new now
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
A Used 5150?

And I cant see the Mesa .50 cal been bad?

Its mesa and they dont make **** products! What do you mean its pretty good alone?
meh I wish someone had some more experience... but then again I guess if im happy with a b52 there shouldnt be a problem, haha
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
i bought a 50 cal + (the one with the 5-band eq) for $575. so i'd say its a good deal. i haven't been able to crank it cuz i live in an apartment with an old lady below me. every time i fiddle with the tone knobs and the eq my sound gets better and better. not sure what derek is talking about when he says it doesn't get a good rock sound. i certainly don't need a distortion for it, and i never go anywhere near the clean channel. the thing is LOUD!!! if the one you're looking at doesn't have the eq then i'd probably recommend you get one for the loop. frankly, i don't think i'd like the non-eq version too much. its too muddy with out it.
people in the reviews at harmony central seem to like it.

however, i don't have anything to compare it too. it was in my price range so i just bought it, and didn't test out anything else. so there may indeed be better amps for the same price.
I've never tried the .50, but I have tried the .22 and I liked it a lot. There's no way it needs a distortion pedal to get a "good rock tone" it has plently of gain by itself. The one I tried had a graphic EQ and it sounded good with it on and with it off. I would've bought it if it wasn't so expensive ($900), could've bought a brand new F-30 for $150 more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, the guy emailed me some pictures. And it looks like its in good condition and he assures me theres nothing wrong with it. Id definately go and try it before I bought it...

But basically he told me he could part with it for 500$.... but then I could get a new B-52 for 500$, although I could prob talk the GC down a little bit...

But I guess im just curious as to if anyone else has any other opinions on the amp. Ive never played it, or a mesa for that matter. I dont know if mesa has some lower quality stuff. and isnt this a discontinued model, if so why is that?

as always thanks
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial