Is anyone else here reading this series by George R.R. Martin? I just finished the third book, A Storm of Swords. Absolutely amazing... It had one the most intense battles I have ever read...

Still 4 more to go, though

Just incase you wanna know what is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

Also, it's going to be turned into a TV series...

Quote by Wikipedia
Variety reported on January 17th, 2007 that the rights for A Song of Ice and Fire have been sold to HBO with the intent of turning the novels into a television series.[6] Written and executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the series is expected to cover one novel's worth of material per season. Martin plans to co-executive produce the series and is expected to write one episode per season. The series will be filmed in Europe or New Zealand.

Martin reported in August 2007 that the first draft of the script is complete and awaiting approval.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 21, 2007,
Ice and Fire... havent heard of it myself, may check it out

oh, and i thought the topic was going to be icy hot related.....
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
Ice and Fire... havent heard of it myself, may check it out

oh, and i thought the topic was going to be icy hot related.....

This reminded me of a level in Ninja Gaiden where I had to go through ice and lava mazes.

It was pretty cool.

And how can you see an intense battle if you read it?
You'd be reading about one, not seeing one.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Sounds intriguing, might I request a general summary?

UG Private Poker Room

UG Poker Group
Join it

╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝
Quote by Slaytanic6606

And how can you see an intense battle if you read it?
You'd be reading about one, not seeing one.

Actually, what I meant was that out of all of the battles I've seen or read, it was the most intense

Quote by Incardito
Sounds intriguing, might I request a general summary?

Alright...

"A Song of Ice and Fire is set primarily in the fictional Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, a large, South America-sized continent with an ancient history stretching back some twelve thousand years. The original inhabitants of the land, the "children of the forest" (whose "old gods" are still worshipped in the North) were conquered by the First Men, who came from the east. Later, the Andals, who brought their seven-faced god across the narrow sea with them, arrived and conquered the southern portion of Westeros, though they were never able to overthrow Moat Cailin and defeat the King in the North. The six Andal kingdoms, Dorne excepted, were later united by Aegon Targaryen, called the Conqueror, and King Torrhen Stark bent the knee to Aegon rather than risk the destruction of his kingdom at the hands of Aegon's dragons. Some 283 years after Aegon's conquest, the Targaryens are overthrown in a civil war and King Robert Baratheon, backed primarily by his friend Lord Eddard Stark and foster father Lord Jon Arryn, takes the Iron Throne. The novels, which begin fifteen years into Robert's reign, follow the fall-out from this event across three major storylines, set not only in Westeros but on the eastern continent as well.

Also, to the North there is a Wall that was built thousands of years ago to keep away wildlings, and other creatures...

Don't read this next part if you want to read the books!

SPOILER WARNING
The first storyline, set in the Seven Kingdoms themselves, chronicles a many-sided struggle for the Iron Throne that develops after King Robert's death. The throne is claimed by his son Joffrey, supported by his mother's powerful family, House Lannister, but Robert's brother Stannis claims that Robert's children are illegitimate, and claims the throne himself, to a less-than-enthusiastic response. Robert's youngest brother, Renly, also claims the throne with the support of the extremely powerful House Tyrell. Whilst these three claimants battle for the throne itself, Robb Stark, Lord Eddard Stark's heir, is proclaimed King in the North as the northmen and their allies in the Riverlands seek to break away from the Iron Throne and rule themselves. Similarly, Balon Greyjoy also claims the throne of his own region, the Iron Islands, and likewise seeks independence. The War of the Five Kings is the principal storyline in the second and third novels, with its fall-out and repercussions affecting much of what follows."
SPOILER WARNING
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 21, 2007,
Quote by RedDeath9
Actually, what I meant was that out of all of the battles I've seen or read, it was the most intense

Sounds epic.

Sounds like dragonforce.

Mostly the "Ice and Fire" part.

I think I'll give it a read.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
I can see why it reminds you of Dragonforce, but when I listen to Agalloch it kind of reminds me of the books...

Also, I should have said "the most intense fight between 2 people", because there isn't really a huge battle in the third book.

EDIT:Wtf was I talking about?

Although there is a pretty sweet battle at the Wall.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Mar 19, 2008,
A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the best book series ever. Just for clarification, right now there are only 4 books. The 5th should be out next year. And there will be 2 after that.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the best book series ever. Just for clarification, right now there are only 4 books. The 5th should be out next year. And there will be 2 after that.

Ah, right... Thanks.
I just finished the 3rd one too! Tyrion's my favorite character, but his life has GOT to be hard. Especially since he's pretty much alone now...
Why I Love Spanish Women

I'm hoping by "crack" you mean cleavage unless you have some kind of bizarre ass-chest.

Quote by Kensai
Dude, relax. Don't be so rape about things.
Quote by taraholic
I just finished the 3rd one too! Tyrion's my favorite character, but his life has GOT to be hard. Especially since he's pretty much alone now...

Tyrion is also one of my favorite characters... I'm wondering where he's going to go on that ship... I can't remember if it said in the book or not. Or why Jaime rescued him.

Jon is probably my favorite character though.
*SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Jaime rescued him to pay of his "debts" and to find out if he really killed his son (at least i think so). Daenerys is cool too.

END SPOILERS
Why I Love Spanish Women

I'm hoping by "crack" you mean cleavage unless you have some kind of bizarre ass-chest.

Quote by Kensai
Quote by taraholic
*SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Jaime rescued him to pay of his "debts" and to find out if he really killed his son (at least i think so). Daenerys is cool too.

END SPOILERS

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Oh, right... And then Tyrion tells him he did, even though he didn't. And then kills Lord Twyin. That was a surprise...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!
Don't damn well post spoilers of future books along with past.

I've read all the ones out so far, and am waiting for the next one. I'm hoping it'll be out early next year, because it doesn't seem like he's going to make 2007.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Ya, while he was taking a crap, lol. Did he kill Shae too? I couldn't tell.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
Why I Love Spanish Women

Quote by Kensai
Quote by taraholic
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

!!!SPOILER!!!

Yes, he did.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by taraholic
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

No, I don't think he killed Shae.

And was it while he was taking a crap? I thought he was sitting there doing something, and then he shot him in the bladder, and he pissed everywhere lol.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Anyway, let's stop posting so many spoilers.

EDIT: DinkyDaisy: He did? Hm...
Tyrion's character is easily likable though.

If you guys like George R. R. Martin, check out Guy Gavriel Kay. Most of his books are awesome. I didn't really like his most recent, Ysabel. But he's a great storyteller as well. My favorites of his are Lions of Al Rassan and A Song for Arbonne, which made me sob at the end.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 21, 2007,
Quote by RedDeath9
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

No, I don't think he killed Shae.

And was it while he was taking a crap? I thought he was sitting there doing something, and then he shot him in the bladder, and he pissed everywhere lol.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Anyway, let's stop posting so many spoilers.

EDIT: DinkyDaisy: He did? Hm...

I'll end the spoilers after replying to this...

!!!SPOILER!!!

Yes, he killed her because we came through the passage to see his father, and saw Shae naked in his bed wearing his mother's (I think) pearls. Tywin kept calling Tyrion's first wife a whore so Tyrion shot him, strangled Shae and left.

-Matthew Arnold

Ah, ok... And yeah, he was taking a crap, lol, I just read that part again...

And the "intense fight" I was talking about was the one between the Viper and the Mountain.

"Then I smashed her ****ing head in. Like this."

Should we start a club for fans of this series? There'd only be like 3 or 4 people, but it's something...
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 22, 2007,