OK, so my parents bought me a book of scales on guitar because everyone has been reccomending that I learn my scales. The book has the major/minor scales, pentatonic scales, and a bunch of other fancy stuff.

So here's my question:

Why is there open- and closed- fingering for the scales, and do I have to learn both?

Any other advice you have for me would also be a huge help!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I am fairly new (been playing about a year now) and your "open" and "closed" fingering question threw me. I searched both UG and Google and came up with very few hits (none actually on UG). Are you speaking of "open" as in you play an open string?

I know a more knowledgeable person may know but I bet if you explain you delimma a little more, you will get more posts (help).

Chris
In thinking that you mean open as in the very lowest pentatonic scale, yeah. Learning the open scale can seem a bit too easy, but it's good to know if you wanna throw a bit of an open string into something or other :P
Quote by gonzaw
So if Women=Evil
Then Wo.Men=Evil
Then Men=Evil/Wo
Evil=Worst
Men=Worst/Wo
Men=Rst

Hmmm....
Open fingering is where open strings are used to play the scale, and closed fingering is where you use no open strings so the scale can be moved up and down the fret board. They both sound the same (as long as you start off on the same note, same pitch), the only difference is that one can't be moved. I was just wondering why that's important. I'll just learn both though so I learn the fretboard better
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401