no matter how much gain and volume i increase, i cannot get a smooth, compressed lead sound. the sustain is too weak, and increasing the gain of the amp only gives it a tad bit little more overdriven sound. i need a REALLY powerful pedal to solve my problem. any suggestions?
bigger amp?
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
What kinda amp are you working with in the first place?
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
What kinda amp are you working with in the first place?

mesa/boogie f-30 1x12 combo.
Nice amp. Consider a Fulltone OCD. If you set on high boost with lowish tone and low gain, it'll smooth out your amp and add to your tone.

I'm not a fan of compressors personally, but in this case, it might be exactly what you need. Keeley makes a fantastic one. I'd stray away from the Boss one though, IMO it sucks tone when on and off.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
Nice amp. Consider a Fulltone OCD. If you set on high boost with lowish tone and low gain, it'll smooth out your amp and add to your tone.

I'm not a fan of compressors personally, but in this case, it might be exactly what you need. Keeley makes a fantastic one. I'd stray away from the Boss one though, IMO it sucks tone when on and off.

pricy...pricier than xotic bb preamp.
how is it different from xotic bb and ibanez tubescreamers anyway?
arent tubescreamers overdrive as well?
Oh i hated the BB. I played it through a peavey classic 30 cranked up and it just ruined it. The AC and RC boosters are nice though.

Tubescreamers are very very very mid based overdrive. They can be very smooth though and compressed. If you feel like you could use a bit more mids then it could be just what you're looking for though.

The OCD is a nice full range OD, the tubescreamer is very very middy.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
Oh i hated the BB. I played it through a peavey classic 30 cranked up and it just ruined it. The AC and RC boosters are nice though.

Tubescreamers are very very very mid based overdrive. They can be very smooth though and compressed. If you feel like you could use a bit more mids then it could be just what you're looking for though.

The OCD is a nice full range OD, the tubescreamer is very very middy.

you mean all of the ibanez tubescreamers (ts7, ts9, ts......) are all middy?
how about noise? do i need to spend again to get a noise suppresor?