how long did it take for everyone to memorize the freboard notes?
because i kno how to, but it would take a very long time the way im thinking.
and another thing...
how did u learn it? a program? by yourself?

lol i get so frustrated when i see the tab and it says 11th fret on the D string, then i have to go, 1st fret D#, 2nd fret C, 3rd fret C#, fourth D, etc.
FightFor Honor, Fight For Your Life, Praying To God That Our Side Is Right.
-M.I.A.

Seize The Day or Die Regretting the Time you Lost is Empty and Cold Without You Here.
-Seize The Day
Muscle memory.

Also, the little indicator dots on certain frets help, too.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Indians scattered on Dawn's highway bleeding, Ghosts crown the young child's fragile eggshell mind
Scales...probably A minor and C major help out the most...learn the scale all across the fretboard and u'll be fine.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
note a assocation 7th E string is B, 9th on the d string is b an octive higher, 8th/10th fret is b#, 9th/11th is c. get it?
Play in the dark.
or just look away from the guitar and see if you can remember where the frets are

The dots do help alot too.
Quote by burn the stars
note a assocation 7th E string is B, 9th on the d string is b an octive higher, 8th/10th fret is b#, 9th/11th is c. get it?

Um... no?
Quote by Jim Morrison
Indians scattered on Dawn's highway bleeding, Ghosts crown the young child's fragile eggshell mind
yeah, I really didn't understand that either. But I heard once that if you learned all the notes on the low E string, you'd learn about half the fretboard, and I never understood that until recently:
The third fret on the low E string is G. The third fret on the high E string is also G, because both strings have the same note placement, of course, so if you learn all the notes on the low E, that's automatically 1/3 of the fretboard. Now, if you look at the powerchord for G at the third fret of the E string, you play 3 5 5. That second 5, the fifth fret on the D string, also corresponds to the note G. So, that's how you can learn almost half of the fretboard just by learning the notes on the low E string, although I guess that's sort of a stopgap solution, and you still need to figure out a way to remember the notes on the other three strings.
Also, the thing about the scales should work. The C major scale contains only natural notes, meaning no sharps or flats. So, if you memorize that scale, and just remember that all the other notes are just the sharps and flats that you didn't memorize, that should work, too.
I just took the whole thing with the notes how they are spaced, like B C are just a half step and so are E and F and then I just remember it by that if I don't know which note I am playing say if I am on the 11th fret D string I can remember that it is Db because if you go back one it would either be C# or Db. A keyboard helps out haha. I just have a picture of one.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
well, i dont know all of them, but its easy to figure out, learn all the notes on the low E and A strings. and then you know where your octaves are... it works for me, at least
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
I don't, I can read tabs just fine so there's no need to know what notes I'm playing. I can't make up good solo's though Mostly just one memorised scale (which I don't even know the notes of, just the positions )
And strangely after playing for 3 years I kind off know where I have to go 2 frets up to go a note higher or just one fret up.
Quote by 0jhawk0
how long did it take for everyone to memorize the freboard notes?
because i kno how to, but it would take a very long time the way im thinking.
and another thing...
how did u learn it? a program? by yourself?

lol i get so frustrated when i see the tab and it says 11th fret on the D string, then i have to go, 1st fret D#, 2nd fret C, 3rd fret C#, fourth D, etc.

probably nobody has mentioned it. but there's a god software out there called "absolute fretboard trainer pro" that's the one i use it only focuses on teaching the fretboard till you know it by heart. that's the one i use and it works really great. as for the time it takes to learn it completely it shouldnt take you longer than 3 months. good luck. you can share it in a torrent web or something. but share it ok... so it doesnt sound illegal!!!!
"I can't make up good solo's though"
I didn't say you don't need them, I said you don't need to have them for playing covers. Solo's and all won't work. Understading chords won't either
Quote by 0jhawk0

Dude... You're going the long way about that, seriously.

THe 12th fret of each string is the octave, which means it's on the 12th fret of, say, the D string, you'll just be playing a D.

SO if it's the 11th fret, you just go one down from that, which is C#/Db. See?
You don't need to know the notes on the fretboard.
I'm a communist. Really.

You do if you want to LEARN to play the guitar.

If you're happy to be the musical equivalent of a talking parrot then no, you don't
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Raziel2p

One does not need to know alternate picking either, but it helps when trying to play the guitar.
I'd still hesitate to point out some notes on the guitar whilst I worked it out, but mainly I remember just from scales and chord positions.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
It doesn't really matter if you can't necessarily call a note on sight, but you at the very least need the ability to identify them. If you don't know the notes then you can't actually learn chords or scales properly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try fretboard warrior, it's free and it works quite well.