I heard that Fender recently released the VG stratocaster and I was wondering what you guys thought about it? Also, if anyone actually has one, whats it like?

Btw, Sry if this has been done, i tried searching but the engine gets rid of "vg" because its too short or something. (do you know how many threads there are if you just type in stratocaster??)
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
It has been out for a while actually. I liked it when I played one, but I'd rather save the money and tune it myself manually to be honest.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
so the alternate sounds arent worth it?
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
It's all opinion really. The only reason I wouldn't buy it is because I have a 12 string, and a normal 6 string acoustic.

I also just prefer tuning them myself.

Someone else who likes the features would find this guitar amazing. It's all up to you really.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
It's more or less the same end result as using your guitar with MIDI, except for the whole tuning aspects.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by BFun
so the alternate sounds arent worth it?

High price tag, but its definitely cool. I don't play nearly enough widespread of music to use it to its full potential though, which is why I won't get one. But if you're one of those people who likes music in alternate tunings and a wide variety of music and the feel of a strat, that may justify the price.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
ah ok, i wasnt really interested in the tunings, just the sounds, because i would only ever choose the standard or drop D tunings.

Too bad it retails at 4.3 grand here
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by teegee420
Look into the Line 6 Variax guitars. They're much cheaper.

indeed, and they actually sound really good trough line 6 amps, and most of them are around $1,100

i don't like the fact that they put so many stuff in the guitar, it's really useful, but i'd rather tune by myself than spend tons of money to get a guitar that does that by itself
wasnt impressed with the variax really. I tried it out but didnt seem to cut it. The strat is basically a realy strat WITH extras. Not just the extras by em self if yknow what i mean. Thats kinda why im interested in it.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
wasnt impressed with the variax really. I tried it out but didnt seem to cut it. The strat is basically a realy strat WITH extras. Not just the extras by em self if yknow what i mean. Thats kinda why im interested in it.

as i said, it has cool extras but it's just too much money
The VG strat is cool, but like its been said, if you're not buying it as a "All in one" type deal, you may want to skip it. I also disliked something about the tuning deal. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it was in part because it didn't feel or sound quite natural to me for some reason. the other killer is there is no separate midi output, which for the price of the thing, there should be.
It would sound like OP's avatar.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
The alternate tunings will be in tune in relation to the guitar but not for other instruments. Gibson's powertune system seems like it would be much better.
Rig:
PRS SE semi hollow (blue)
mexican fat strat
Ovation MOB
LTD hybrid 300
Fender Blues Junior
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD 20 and DS1
i just tried out the strat at a music shop. the tuning functions seemed fine to me. If i DO get it, it would be for versatility because i cant really afford 8 guitars or so lol. I mean, my acoustic guitar is one i found on the street >.<
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
The Idea is cool, but i would much rather take the money and put it towards a better guitar. It's not that hard to tune a guitar yourself.
I messed with one for a few hours, before deciding on the Variax 700. I personally liked everything about the Variax better (except the banjo). It was alot more comfortable for me to play and a much better range of versatility. The acoustic models were alot better and the strat model on the variax was pretty impressive. Didn't get a chance to run the VG through a PA, but the Fender deluxe something (it was $900) liked the variax better. With the addition of the Pod xt live it's even better. Never could have imagine this much versatility.

Edit: The 3 things that really closed the deal on this guitar for me were The gibson ES 335, The Danelectro 3021, and the Guild F212. Not sure how close it sounds to the real thing, but don't care. Just love those tones right out of the box.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Oct 12, 2007,