Why doesn't Metallica ever play the mid-solo in "The Four Horsemen" live? jw. sorry If this is posted somewhere else, but I'm just curious
I don't know.. that's a very good question.

I'm pretty sure they threw that slower section in there, so the song would differentiate from the original version, The Mechanix. (Basically as a kick in the balls to Dave Mustaine.)

I'm not sure why they wouldn't play it live.
I love that mid-solo.. I love how you can really hear the bass guitar in that song.. Mostly every song with Cliff Burton.

Does anybody else think the mid solo rhythm kind of sounds like "Sweet Home Alabama"?
Quote by paulvxD
I love that mid-solo.. I love how you can really hear the bass guitar in that song.. Mostly every song with Cliff Burton.

Does anybody else think the mid solo rhythm kind of sounds like "Sweet Home Alabama"?

It has some similarities, yes.
If you listen to the end of it, it is dubbed a bit. This can be easily heard in the last few notes while the noticeable guitar is playing several bending high notes while the other one is slowly scaling down. Although I think it could easily sound close enough without the dubbing. I think they just like to cut the song short.

Also, they used to play the song as part of the Kill and Ride Medley, so maybe they are just used to skipping that part and don't wanna go back to playing it.
Quote by bnull24
If you listen to the end of it, it is dubbed a bit. This can be easily heard in the last few notes while the noticeable guitar is playing several bending high notes while the other one is slowly scaling down. Although I think it could easily sound close enough without the dubbing. I think they just like to cut the song short.

Cut the song short? This is a classic song dude, I don't know why they would cut it short..

Yes, towards the end of the mid-solo (on the album), you can hear 3 guitars. One playing the rhythm, the main solo guitar, and then you hear a second lead guitar come in and doing bends in harmony with the main guitar.
I've heard Metallica do songs like that without the rhythm guitar, when there's both guitars doing solos live.
Last edited by paulvxD at Sep 21, 2007,
It is classic, but Metallica plays a LONG set when they play, and all of their songs are classics, so maybe they cut out a few pieces here and there when they can. It happens to be one of my favorite parts of any song ever, but maybe they feel otherwise.

I don't know if that's the real reason, but I also edited in about the K/R Medley thing, that could be another reason.
I'm sure they didn't have a crap load of songs in the mid 80s, I don't see why they had to cut the song short... But that's probably the most reasonable answer