For some reason my strings on my Gibson SG won't stay in tune. I have brand new DRs on it too. What could be wrong?
Quote by s.r.v.
thats the reason. they're new.

Let me rephrase that: new, as in 2 weeks new. I've played them, stretched them, everything. Even the new strings on my Tele are completely worked in.
Probably should take it to a guitar shop to get it checked out. Or invest in some locking tuners
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
have you tried icy-hot yet?

stop it with the ****ing icy hot!
Quote by acoginthesystem
DR's rule. That is all.

Yeah, they sounded fantastic a few days ago...and then recently...they just won't stay in tune
you play hard?
or maybe the tuners are giving way...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

are they a different gauge than you usually use? different tension on the neck can mess some things up. have your guitar set up professionally for that guage.
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by thatoneday
Yeah, they sounded fantastic a few days ago...and then recently...they just won't stay in tune

Are they all going out of tune? Are they going flat, sharp, or just random? Also how fast are they going out of tune? i'm tempted to say you might of gotten a dud pack, or maybe they were old when you bough them and now they're past there life span.
perhaps the SG is too badass for you
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by CJRocker
Are they all going out of tune? Are they going flat, sharp, or just random? Also how fast are they going out of tune? i'm tempted to say you might of gotten a dud pack, or maybe they were old when you bough them and now they're past there life span.

All six go flat within 2 minutes, but the a, d, g, and b strings are more of a dramatic loss. I bought the strings brand new on ebay, too....

Looks like the ol' Tele's gonna get more love.
Quote by thatoneday
All six go flat within 2 minutes, but the a, d, g, and b strings are more of a dramatic loss. I bought the strings brand new on ebay, too....

Looks like the ol' Tele's gonna get more love.

Since you bought them on ebay, I would wager they were probably old, and sat around for awhile. I would just go put some new ones on.
Could be alot of things...the tuners, the nut, the bridge.
1) When you're tuning the strings, do they make a little "ping" sound? That's the nut. They're getting hung up then snapping back. Get the nut slots filed.
2) Good locking tuners always help.
3) Bridge saddles do wear out after awhile. They can develop burrs that will mess up your tuning. Look for teflon coated bridge saddles...make a WORLD of difference.
dont stretch them any more. you hardly have to stretch DRs in the first place. maybe you're guitar is just a p.o.s?