hey all, I have a question: how many of you pick from the thumb and how many pick from the wrist? I ask because I've been trying both lately and my guitar teacher tells me that the thumb is the way to go, but I feel like that makes my wrist very tense because i have to work so damn hard to move my thumb muscle (not sure exactly what to call it.) But when i pick using more wrist and less thumb, I feel no tension at all. Is the least tension the best way to go? Or is this just something i need to work at? Thanks,

-Dave
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
i say screw your teacher everyone has their own preference just go with what feels right some people pick with the elbow ,some with the wrist, and some with the thumb.
Originally posted by str84ever
Since you are playing metal and from what i know about guitars which is not alot

the pointer the guitar the better it is for metal

problem solved.
The least tension ,typically , is always the way to go.

I know for one that EJ does what's called "Oscilating Picking" where you get some thumb action.

But from what I've seen of Yngwie, he uses mainly his wrists.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by namelessmaggot6
i say screw your teacher everyone has their own preference just go with what feels right some people pick with the elbow ,some with the wrist, and some with the thumb.

+1
I agree with this to the point of going with what feels right, however the elbow is not the right way at all because you make more effort to move the arm and is also inconvenient, and for the thumb the movement is not as flexible as with the wrist, although the thumb can be used occasionally it just depends on what you're playing. Also, you can play faster with the wrist and have more accuracy, so mostly use the wrist.
I think I use my wrist.... not 100% sure though!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
i use my thumb, wrist and elbow. Not so much my elbow, only when i'm changing alot between strings
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
its a combo of both. mostly wrist though but for some things i do move my thumb. i dont really think about it though. i just do what comes naturally to me and what feels right.
im still trying to figure out how the hell you pick with your thumb (aside from fingerpicking of course) i just tried and it totally didn't work at all. i don't know that i've ever seen anyone pick from their thumb. all i've ever seen is wrist, if you have a video of an example i'd be interested in seeing it.
I don't think you could realistically do just one. I'm holding a pick right now, and trying to pick with just my wrist, not using my thumb at all, is incredibly choppy and I'm sure would be tiring. I can't figure out how to just use my thumb. I think when I pick the wrist is most involved but the thumb is used too.
Quote by z4twenny
im still trying to figure out how the hell you pick with your thumb (aside from fingerpicking of course) i just tried and it totally didn't work at all. i don't know that i've ever seen anyone pick from their thumb. all i've ever seen is wrist, if you have a video of an example i'd be interested in seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACH5Z_YPmVg

in this video eric johnson kind of goes over how he uses his thumb to pick sometimes. you're basically just changing the angle of the pick.
woah i didnt even know you could use your thumb like that it just seems so... unusual... anyone have any songs that would use that technique particularly?
i kinda twist my wrist if i use my thumb it feels funny. but honestly go with what is easiest and fastest for you and the most comfortable
I think I do it similar to that. It's hard to tell from a video though.
I used to be into all this kinda shred style geekyness.. really dude play a load of gigs, see how you play.. develop it. I seriously doubt your gonna be playing a show doing a wailing solo and stop and think "oh no I seem to be picking with my thumb", if you wana get all freaky tho watch paul gilbert vid's on youtube hes the best example to take notes from Paul rocks out with the best of 'em but can "shred" when needs be too!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Thanks guys. I think a combo and not really trying to do one or the other is the most comfortable right now.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Use all three, as well as shoulder. The more joints involved, the more fluid and controlled your playing will be.

I always tell students that picking is not a discreet set of actions, but a circle or more accurately and elliptical response. For speed, make the ellipse smaller, for more dynamic playing or strumming, open the ellipse up.

And to really nail your timing, don't stop making those circles even when you are not playing. Playing/not playing is a matter of making string contact or not, not choosing to make some discreet movement or not, like a piston.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Wrist. My thumb doesn't move.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.